Philippines!

mailboxck

Glad you found the thread Andro. I'm from Manila.

I have no idea what the problem in your tank is. I would say the same thing as zero did. Mine would be cloudy if the tank wasn't cycled well or due to a water change but i have no idea about your condition. Why not putting salt in your tank? That might help

I always wash my filter media on the faucet. I dont know about beneficial bacteria but i always have a corner filter on my tank so i think my beneficial gets stored there when i wash my canister filter.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Andro

Thanks mailboxck! Canister filters are expensive here. So you have a canister and a corner filter? How big is your tank? The cloudiness or the smokeyness in my tank is my problem. It's not really that bad. It's just that maybe it is just a bacteria the is growing and it will just diminish later on. My bio-wheel still looks very clean so I still need some bacteria to grow on it. My ammonia, nitrite, nitrates and ph levels are normal so maybe it's just these bacteria growing :)

By the way zer0type, your goldfish looks great. Mine is still 1 1/2 or 2 inch from head to tail. I want them to grow big so I only have 3 of them on my 40 gallon tank. I haven't found any digital ph here at my local pet store. I have a drop off test kit which can test ph, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. It includes 4 test tubes with a cap on it. I bought this at my local pet store at $29.99 and I found this very handy since I'm just starting up. By the way, how do you post a picture like the one you have zer0type? Thanks again for both of you!

Guest zer0type

use photobucket.. www.photobucket.com... upload a pic and photobucket will give u a link to ur pics... den copy and paste the link when u post in the forum...

Well, when i say canister filter, i'm not sure if i'm actually using the right word. It's an overhead filter (filterbox) with a powerhead in the tank. Am I correct? I'm sorry for the confusion.

My tank is only 20g. But i have 2 of them in my room.

Guest zer0type

@ andro

very nice tank andro... ei. live plants would be so much better... and dat emperor really looks nice!!!! ** prays to heaven to send me one ***

@ mailbox

ahh.. i know wat u mean... i myself dont know the proper technical term to call dat kind of filter setup... basta i know its connected to the powerhead then its like a blue box thingy filled wid foams for filtration... u get the picture.. lol... hows d current, for a 20 gallon tank, im sure its causing a very huge current.... specially ur using powerheads....

Guest Andro

Thanks zer0type! I was thinking of puting live plants too <_< but live plant's need more maintenance because they grow or get eaten by the goldfish. The only thing that's good for them is that they reduces algae and nitrates and it looks more natural. Plastic plants has disadvantage too such as the algae grow on them and they can tear the fins if they have sharp edges. Maybe when they're big enough I can change it to live plants. Don't you mind me asking you which plastic plant in my tank looks real fake? All of them... I guess :D hehehe.

I just went to my local fish store and they have raised the price of the Emperor 400 to $109.99 + tax!!! :yikes I don't know why they raised the price so high. It would still be better if you bid it on ebay even though the shipping charges is high. You would still get a bargain since you live in Davao! It's just my opinion.

Guest zer0type

@ andro

errr... i know whats fake wen i see one... ahihihi... so i can really tell, but i dont know wid other people... hehehe...

$$$ 109????? dats too much. maybe u must have been mistaken.. 400's average at 45-50 $$$ ... dats too much for an emperor.... hoax maybe...

im settling for 2 eheim liberty 200... same price wid 1 emperor 400... same HOB filter xcept for d bio-wheel feature.. hai.. sayang talga.. i badly want an emperor but my budget really really sucks.. ahihi... lend me money???...ahihi (joke)

Guest Andro

I'm seriuos about this. I went to vvvv here in my area and they are selling it for $109.99+tax. Try going to http:www.vvvv.com and they sell it at $42+shipping. I don't know what's going on about this Emperor 400 but the one I bought at PetWorld was still at $69.99+tax. Now I know that it would be cheaper to order online. Maybe if I would print this and show this to them they would settle for the online price. But I don't know yet. I read from a previous column that they would settle for the price online if you printed it and show it to them.

Zero:

I connected all the flow from the powerhead directly to the overhead filter so the water current isn't so bad. A bit of current is actually good to help stir up the dirt on the bottom.

Guest zer0type

@ mailbox

nice ... good thinking... my lilo hates the powerhead pump.. ahihi... she loves calm water... im using eheim liberty 150 btw... one silent and very effective filter...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Andro

I'm here zer0type. It's summer time here in the US. Very hot! I have to turn on my air conditioner so as to lower the temperature in my tank. It gets over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. By the way, I just added a 2 1/2 inch pearlscale and a 2 inch panda telescope on my tank. :D

Guest zer0type

wow great... its rainy here in the philippines... but in noontime, it gets really hot... dats y most people here get flu...

wow... pics pics pics.. good luck wid d goldies....

• 1 month later...

Hiya guys. Sorry haven't got to post anything lately. I went back to my hobby of rc racing and hardly had the time to post about my goldfish. Anyway, they're doing great. My 3 babies are growing well.

Just got a bit tired coz keeping gf's is too relaxing for me and needed to get the adrenaline pumping again. Anyway, haven't forgotten about my goldfish. Don't ya worry. I still play with them :D

Hey there! So sorry for not replying as soon as possible. I was so preoccupied with my work. Anyway, I got rid of all the fake plants that I have. I put real ones on it a couple of months ago. At first I tried to research on which plant to buy. Then I decided to buy this "anacharis." It has a small small leaf but the leaves keeps on falling off so as to blocked the intake strainer on my filter. So I decided to take out the intake strainer (bad decision!) to get rid of the leaves blocking it. My blue oranda which is about an inch and a half got sucked up :cry1 Anyway, I had to cleaned up my whole tank after what had happened. I was so very stressed out during that time. But after a week, I spotted a panda lionhead at my local pet shop and really liked it a lot and decided to buy it. It's about 2.5 inch. Now, I have two pandas: a telescope and a lionhead, :) besides the red head oranda, crown pearlscale and the orange ranchu or a lionhead? How do you distinguish a ranchu from a lion head??? I also got a "pleco" about 2 inch to help clean up the algae on my tank. He's been very, very useful in geting rid of the algae on my tank. Although he's afraid of the light, he does his work when the lights is off. He hides on the ornamental cave on my tank whenever the lights are on. They go in harmony with the goldfish that I have in my tank. I'll post a pic soon...

Guest zer0type

wow.. long post...

sorry to hear bout ur blue oranda...

anyways.. good luck wid ur new gf... a panda lionhead... pic pic pic... never seen one...

and to distinguish a ranchu and a lionhead... err.. cant explain.... so im giving u this link.. http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4468/lhvsru.html

im having a bit of problem... my lilo is showing signs of popeye.. so i moved her in a quarantine tank.. d problem is.. i cant get any med food or epsom salt... i wish i live outside d philippines... darn... im doing 70 % water change every day.. and treating her only wid TETRAMEDICA GOLDMED...

i wish i can get an EPSOM SALT.... i really wish...

No new news for me. My 3 fry are still growing, at a very slow pace though :krazy: . Still don't have color after 8 months! I don't go out to the petshops no more, well, just not so often because I keep on buying stuff everytime i go. :rofl

Thanks for the link zer0type! I'll post a pic soon.

Sorry to hear about the problem of your fish showing signs of "pop eyes." Here's a link that might help you:

http://www.koivet.com/html/articles/articl...ame=Medications

I think you don't need EPSOM SALT if can't find one. All you need is 100% natural sea salt (which is plenty and cheap there) or non-iodized salt. ;)

By the way, how big is your quarantine tank? Does it have a filter, gravel, etc.? If there's no fish in the quarantine tank, shall I keep the water in there and the filter on? Do I have to cycle the quarantine tank? So many questions... sorry... I don't have a quarantine tank yet but I think I should have one.

As for you mailboxck, just be patient with your 3 fry. I also agree with you that you keep buying stuff everytime you go to your local petshop. I always do that everytime. The only advantage here is that I can return it to my local petshop anytime provided I have the original receipt with me. Even though it has been opened and used and have my money back :)

Archived