Some More Eggs!

Ranchugirl

My adventure with snail eggs a few weeks back didn't bring anything, the snail eggs were not fertilized, and after over a month of watching them I gave up. Now, a few days ago, the same black mystery snail pair got at it again, and one of them laid eggs just above the water surface. This time I just leave them there and don't take them out into a separate container, and watch them, spraying them every day...Hope this time I see some mini snails..... ;)

:D You want snail eggs,you want snails??????????? LOL I can send you some!! I bought plants on E-bay from 3 different people,and with those came snails...Theres about 4 different kind! :blink: I keep pulling them out,and the next day,I'll see a bunch more-all different sizes!!!! And they are eating the ###### out of my once "best looking planted tank! :thud

From what I have heard young female have a few trial runs before you get the real thing...I have 3 clutches on the go ..but all 3 are 1st for my snails so I will let you know how they are doing..thet are around 10 days old and still looking pink..Linda

Alexander, I got 2 black and 2 ivory mystery snails in a 29 gl tank together with my betta babies, as well as a few baby plants that I happen to find on newly aquired plants. I guess some snails are free after all! :lol:

Didn't know about the trial runs, Phoenixx, so I keep my fingers crossed this time!... :)

No, they can't reach them. I made sure the water level is just belov the egg clutch, so no hungry betta mouth will get them!... :D

Update on the eggs - they HATCHED today!!! WHen I checked on the tank today, which happens to house 5 months old bettas as well as a pair of black applesnails and golden applesnails, the clutch was almost empty. I took the bettas out and gave them another home for now, and I am pretty sure they ate quite a few of the snail babies.

I can count at least 15 little spots of snails wandering about the glass so far, I am sure there are more!!! They have plenty to eat - cucumber slices, an anacharis and the betta flakes.....You know what amazes me the most - that they hatched after only 10 days or so!

I am soooo happy!! :rbanana :rbanana

Phoenixx, I was thinking, maybe its the heat that had them hatching so fast. Last time it was in an airconditioned room, this time the tank is sitting out int he patio with the mid 80's outside.

Aaaand counting 34 so far, although its hard to keep up, there is so much algae in the tank, they could hide anywhere!... :thud

Yes of course you are in the US..meanwhile here in the UK its a bit cold and raining again today..I checked on the clutch that is in a tupperware container {the 1st laid} last night and it was a bit whiffy..I changed the kitchen paper and I am going to take a look tonight but it looks a bit soggy I dont hold much hope for that one :( ..and the other 2 are at the side of my hospital tanks in hairnets...you know like old people wear for bed LOL and they look a bit dry..I spray them every day..well done hun..looks like you got yourself some young ones to care for :popcorn ..keep us updated..Linda

Archived