In With The Tank...

eather.hey

One of my bettas, Juju, was looking really bad for a few days. The was laying on the bottom of his bowl, not really eating, just looking real bad. He was from nnnnnn and was huge when I got him, so I thought he was just getting old. I did a water change in his bowl and thought that might help. He tried to jump out! He got active for a little, but went right back to being sickly. I thought his time was just coming :( Then I looked at my empty 10 gallon hospital and q-tank. I thought, hey, what the heck, it's cycled and has a filter...why not put him in there and see what happens. So I did it. At first he remained on the bottom just like when he was in the bowl. I fed him and he ate a few pellets, but went right back to the bottom. I went to work and when I came back...I had a whole new betta! Talk about a change! He was swimming all over that 10 gallon, looking happier than ever before. He's made a complete recovery and is loving life. I think he was just depressed. I think that bettas need a lot more room than we think. I mean, I know he was in a bowl, but I thought that was okay. I'm just happy that I made him happy B)

One of my bettas, Juju, was looking really bad for a few days. The was laying on the bottom of his bowl, not really eating, just looking real bad. He was from nnnnnn and was huge when I got him, so I thought he was just getting old. I did a water change in his bowl and thought that might help. He tried to jump out! He got active for a little, but went right back to being sickly. I thought his time was just coming  Then I looked at my empty 10 gallon hospital and q-tank. I thought, hey, what the heck, it's cycled and has a filter...why not put him in there and see what happens. So I did it. At first he remained on the bottom just like when he was in the bowl. I fed him and he ate a few pellets, but went right back to the bottom. I went to work and when I came back...I had a whole new betta! Talk about a change! He was swimming all over that 10 gallon, looking happier than ever before. He's made a complete recovery and is loving life. I think he was just depressed. I think that bettas need a lot more room than we think. I mean, I know he was in a bowl, but I thought that was okay. I'm just happy that I made him happy  B)

Hi Just replying on your post, I know what thats like I have been there a number of times with mr lucky duck (my mick name for lucky) lol.. I got him on wednesday, and he is fine.. so far, today i seen him just laying about so i said okay lets do a water change,... and hes moving around nicely again.. :lol: its weird, just the littlest help makes them happy.. im glad hes better.

Just now I was laying on the couch, reading, and I noticed that Juju was flaring up a storm. I figured that he just caught a glimpse of a reflection of himself or something. I go over to the tank and he is attacking a snail! This snail is about the size of my thumbnail, one of those "freebies" that you find sometimes when you buy plants. I put the snail in the tank a few days ago and I guess Juju just found it tonight. I don't even know how the betta knew that the snail was anything more than a rock! There goes that brief idea I had of getting a school of tetras or something as tank mates. He can't even get along with a snail. What a dummie :rolleyes:

LOL.. now thats funny! mine has nothing in there other then rocks, and a plant.. I was going to get him some gumpies or something, but then knowing the mood he was in, i thought nah he would eat them! LMAO I fed hin 3 pellets tonight he had one in his mouth... spit it out and then went for another one that was in the corner of hid tank ( he only ate one) he ate like a pig this morning so thats okay, but ya know what he did? since he knew i was watching him eat.. the little bugger turned his back on me...lol.. :rofl

Glad to hear that your betta is doing so much better in the ten gal. tank!! Most of mine seem way happier that way,and I don't care what anybody says,they love going through the filter bubbles. I will say that I have 2 betta boys,and my little feisty girl,Nemesis,that actually hated being moved to their own tanks.People don't know much about these beautiful fish,and by owning one you'll learn how much personality they really do have!! :D There are alot of myths about bettas that are slowly starting to change ,because of forums like these! ;)

My other (nameless still) betta was in a tank with 2 dwarf frogs and a snail and they all got along just fine! The betta did flare at the frogs once in awhile but the frogs where like, "yeah, whatever, dude" and the betta never attacked them. Now my other betta, he attacked a snail, I mean come on, a snail, I still can't get over that. You should have seen it. I'm talking open mouth, full force hits on the poor snail. Thank goodness for that shell. I'm not gonna risk tank mates after seeing that. He's an older betta so I figure he's used to being by himself and I might as well leave him that way. The other betta (the one w/ the frogs) is very young and I think he was able to adjust easier. I guess Juju will have to live out his days in my hospital tank my himself...taking up all that room. What a snob ;)

And like Devs said about her bettas and the current...Juju seems to love the current in his new tank. People have said that bettas hate current, but he's always hanging out by the filter.

Archived