I Know This Might Seem A Bit Silly...

Guest Amerz

Guest Amerz

So, I just recently got started in ponding, and yesterday I introduced two new shubunkin into a half-barrel pond I had made. Around 5:30 or so, I noticed that the smaller of the two began chasing around the other like crazy and beating on it's belly. Now, I wasn't in too much of a hurry to suspect soon-to-come spawning, since I'd read from several sources that sometimes two males will chase each other. However, it did seem that only the supposed "male" was doing the chasing and the shoving of the other's belly. Unfortunately, my "male"'s head and gill area is unpigminted, so I couldn't see from the tank whether or not he had the usual white pimples. My "female" is very dark in color, and has a head that's half covered with black - I didn't notice any spots on her, either, which led me to believe she must be a female for sure. When it finally came for me to go to bed, I assumed that I must have one female and one male.

Now here's the real problem. I woke up this morning and went to check on my fish. As I suspected, the "male" was running around chasing the female. After a while, though, the "female" retaliated and began chasing and beating the "male." Though, "her" chasings were usually much shorter and seemed like more of an attempt to chase the "male" away out of exhaustion. Just to be absolutely sure they weren't both males, I grabbed a bowl and guided the "female" into it with the fishnet. From here, I got a really close look at her, and saw no white, pimply spots anywhere on her body. I put her back into the tank and got the "male." Now, the "male" didn't have any spots, either! I thought this might be an age issue, except that they were doing the "spawn dance" and both are about 3" long (the male's a bit shorter).

So, do I have two under-developed males, two females with an identity crisis, or a restless male and an irritated female?

I'm going to see if I can make an attempt to check out their anuses later today, as I know that's a sure-fire way to tell males from females. But, until I have the chance to, please let me know what you think! Thanks!

Guest goldfishpal

I got confused about my fish either. I know for sure 'Beauty' is a male, since I saw the pimple before. I also know for sure 'Princess' is a female since she laid some egg when she was alone and it was the 'Beauty' chasing 'Princess' that created the current fry I am raising. But that time 'Beauty' would swtich to chase 'Mary' also so I assumed 'Mary' was also a female.

But now 'Mary' is keep doing the short chasing after 'Beauty' almost everyday and chase 'Princess' occasionally. I got confused. Could that be 'Beauty' was the dominant male at that time and now it is 'Mary's turn?

My fishes have always been gentle, so I can not tell if those kind of action is the spawning, territory dominant chasing or food competition.

Is there anything you need to worry about? If you don't want fry, I think you can leave them alone and they will eat all the fry even if they mate. If you want fry, that is another story.

---Goldfishpal

Archived