Sign in to follow this  
Lachfa

I Got Babies!

I found them, just had to drop in and tell you my daughter was right there are babies in the pond. Am out of here netting them. :happydance Who ever knew babies could cause such a stir in the neighborhood!

be sure to keep them in water from the pond, instead of changing them into different water.

they are very sensitive to water changes :)

good luck hun ! :panana

Kev

:D Babies!!!!!!! Way to go! Who do you think had them?

We brought 15 in - they are different sizes, some are microscopic and the biggest is about 1/2 an inch. I have lost 5 so far. :( As for the water, I put them in pond water to start. I left some from the tap sit out for 12 hours (I have a well) and then I added a little at a time. This was the temp is the same. I have a small pump in it also, no filtration or anything else. I am getting ready to read up to see what I need to do. Wish me luck and I will have pictures tomorrow!

Oh, as for who's they are....that is a mystery. Probably the goldfish. Maybe the Shubunkin. I think the Koi are too young - the biggest is 10 inches and the other two are probably 4 and 5 inches.

Edited by Lachfa

That has to be a pleasant surprise. Good luck with them, can't wait for the pictures

Laurie

Here are pictures! I think I might have two different kinds....who knows I am new to this.

post-13-1086184883.jpg

another...

post-13-1086184925.jpg

I've been looking for more, but haven't seen them. As they get older I would say they are going deeper, so hopefully there are more out there and some of them will make it to adulthood.

yes i hope so too

the only time i spot little fry in my pond

is when they are being pursued by the kois

it can get awfully close for them

but i heard that the bigger koi are more gentle

I don't think they realize they are eating their young - it is just something to go in their mouth. My big koi was trying to eat a bull frogs foot the other day - he finally gave up and went looking for something else. :rofl