Girls Breathing At Surface

eather.hey

Hey all...

Just wondering...I've noticed that a few of my fish have been breathing at the surface more than I've noticed before. All my params are good, I just checked that. It's a 75 gallon with 1 airstone and 1 bubble wall/curtain. I just did a water change on Sunday (I'm almost due, as it's now Friday). What's weird is that it only seems to be the females doing this. Oh, and the water in about 70 degrees f.

Any ideas? Should I be concerned?

Thanks!

It's possible you may need to add more aeration into

your tank. My 75 has a 12" bar and a 30" bar for

aeration along with 5 air stones. I haven't had any

problems with my fishy being short on air.

Guest ed586

Yes, I don't know if your filtration is moving the water enough. It actually ADDS to the surface area if you add a filter(or airstone/bubble device). I haven't used the airstones much but when I relied more on my airstone, my fish didn't do so good.

Does anyone know of how much GPH a typical airstone adds to your tank? That's another thing that makes me unsure of them. I don't know what I'm actually getting.

Guest ed586

Thanks fishkiller. I don't see anything about GPH though. And I always understood air was important. That's what surface area is all about and my wet-dry adds to it by the waterfall.

The tank has an aqua-clear, um, 500 I believe. That circulates well, I think. The temp has actually decreased recently, b/c I unplug the heater in the spring. I'm probably gonna get another bubble curtain to help. I'm not overly concerned about it right now b/c it doesn't seem to be happening all that often. Maybe they were just trying to "eat" the bubbles and I thought they were trying to breath... :ymmu

Anyway, next time I go to the lfs, I'll pick up another bubble curtain...ugghh...more $$$

Thanks for the ideas/comments!

Hi,

I know this is more money but I suggest that you add another filter such as a Penquin bio-wheel (like a 170 or 330). They have that neat waterfall effect that adds air to the surface.

Maybe the one filter you have is not enough. I have 2 filters on my 50 gallon tank.

:hi

Yeah, I've been thinking about adding another filter. I have an extra magnum, still in the box that I was gonna add. I know that no one around here is fond of the magnums, but I've used one on my turtle's tank for years and I like it. And if it's lasted 5 years on a turtle tank...that's saying something!

Archived