Sign in to follow this  
ermidontknow

White Fuzz Around Mouth.. What Could It Be?

i cant believe it- my fantail looked like he was getting better, there was only a little fungus on his tail.. but he did the same thing as my oranda this evening, started floating badly and died shortly after :cry1:cry1 he was the prettiest , healthiest fish i had.. made it through my whole ordeal with internal bacterial infections and everything.. :cry1 this sure was a pretty mean fungus.. but thank you guys soooo much for all your help with this.. id have been so confused without the people on this board Lol :thud

Edited by ermidontknow

oh man! thats terrible! i feel so bad for you erm. :cry1

you tried your best. i agree, this was a very aggressive fungus and i suspect that a bacterial infection was in the mix as well. poor little guys. at least their not suffering anymore, right?

try to keep your q-tank going for now (just in case). do a couple of 50% water changes over the course of the next couple of days and add a corbon filled cartridge to your whisper. this will remove any remenants of madications that are still in the tank. feed the tank a small pinch of food every other day to keep the filter cycled. that way, if any of your other goldies get sick (heaven forbid) youll have a good clean environment to place them in for treatments.

again, im so sorry that you lost your goldies to that nasty fungus. :unsure:

paul

yeah, im glad those 2 arent hurting anymore.. but i still feel really bad that they had to go in such a painful way :( but now im just hoping everyone in my 55 gal. stays healthy.. the only fish im worried about is my big orange oranda, who gets all angry when he cant squeeze between certain plants, and he ends up turning sideways against the gravel to be able to swim by, and im afraid hes going to get scratched up and have a fungus attack him.. heres a pic of what he does all the time: (hes trying to maneuver himself so he can swim under the java fern)

201_0145.jpg

<_< ive tried moving the plants but he just wont avoid the spots he doesnt fit in Lol hes determined to be able to swim everywhere he wants in the tank

Edited by ermidontknow

Oh erm I am so sorry that you lost both your fish, that was terrible. I read this thread all the time, just didnt post because I dont know anything about all that stuff. It seemed to come on so fast. What I dont understand is where it came from? I mean can stuff like that just pop up for no reason? if so, that is so scary, no one should have to deal with that. I thought that if everything was good, like water param, the only way they could get sick was if something was brought in to their enviroment, like bringin in ich with new fish. Is that not the case? I have got alot to learn. I can see how easy it is to lose hope, give up, feel guilty and all, but I know you shouldnt, you really did more than alot of ppl would, that I know and they probably would have had a more horrible death with someone else. So just know you did the best you could, and sometimes thats all you can do. Hope all of your fishy troubles are over :)

What a funny fish! I have one that gets mad too. He turns red. :angry: As far as him doing that, yes, I would be concerned!! Could you maybe move the offending plants and ornaments so that he doesn't have to have his hissy fits? Yeah, I'd do that, and I'd get differnt gravel. Neat fish though, sounds like he's got a lot of personality, and maybe a little bit of a handful!!! :P

erm,

if he really violently thrashes to get through certain areas, id be a bit worried. but, if he just sort of wiggles his way through, dont worry too much. although, this is another good reason to think about converting to a smoother more polished grade gravel.

susu,

to answer your question on where these infections come from:

fungi and bacteria are always present in our aquariums. so are many parasites. a healthy fish is very able to fight off these infections through the aid of their slime coat and a primitive immune system. if the fish's immune system is compromised by say, poor water quality, the organisms can invade and multiply to the surrounding tissues. i am in the middle of purchasing a uv filter for this exact reason. uv filters can kill 99.99% of all bacteria and parasites that pass through it. those are pretty staggering numbers to me and are all i need to know to make me want to get one. these are especially useful when youve got a big tank full of fish. if one gets sick, chances are another will too just because they are in tainted waters. uv filters pretty much eliminate/greatly reduces the chances of your fish ever even getting sick (assuming the bio-filter is working properly).

once i get my uv filter (80 dollars at big als online), ill let everyone know how it seems to work. :)

Paul-----

PLEASE oh PLEASE let me know if it's worth it or not. I've been looking into getting one for a loooong time now, but I've heard so many negative things about the cheaper costing ones. and I don't think I could spend 200-300 dollars on one without making myself want to puke.

Erika

I'm so sorry to hear about your chocolate oranda. After following this post and reading about your troubles the loss was heart felt at this end. Hope all is well. You tried your best Erm