Sign in to follow this  
ermidontknow

White Fuzz Around Mouth.. What Could It Be?

well, you could try either the jungle fungus clear, or mardel maroxy. i think that either or would work very well. i do know that maroxy has been around for a lot longer and has been used in the pond industry for quite a few years. but on the other hand, jungles products are heralded as very good too.

the choice is up to you and the availability of the meds near you. wichever you choose, good luck. :)

are you going to go for the iodine swabs as well? if so, let us know how they go.

i just bought maroxy and "povidone iodine" swabs. is that iodine? Lol i couldnt find any bottles of iodine that just said "iodine" so i took my chances with the swabs

what should i do about my q. tank? empty it completely and refill it and then put the maroxy in? and will it stress out the fish if they go from one med to another right away? :huh:

i would do a 50% water change and add fresh carbon. let it run overnight and then do another 50% waterchange. then add the new meds.

meanwhile, you could probably do an iodine swab tonight. then do another swab tomorrow just before you put the new meds in. as far as the swabs you bought, just look at the active ingredients. if it says only iodine and no other questionable chems, then it should be fine.

im glad that you were able to find another antifungial treatment. i guess the pimafix wasnt as strong a med as you needed.

anyway, let us know how the swabs went. :)

i dont have fresh carbon :unsure: i never got around to setting up my extra filter for my q. tank since everything says to discontinue the carbon.. so i dont have any filter pads or anything either :unsure: is there any other way to get the meds out?

ok then, just do the water changes that i described. itll, bring the level of pima/mela level down by 75%. it should be pretty safe to add the new meds by then.

also, if you dont have any filter pads, how are you filtering the q-tank? do you have some sort of biofilter support media in it to at least let it build-up with bio-bugs?

im not lol i inherited another whisper filter awhile back, so i figured i would use it for my q. tank but i never got around to buying the filter pads for it since i wasnt sure if you had to take the whole filter out or just the filter pad or.. i dont know lol should i be filtering the tank? i can go get a filter pad for it tomorrow morning but all the pet stores are closed for tonight :unsure:

and i wasnt sure if you had to cycle the quarantine tank, i usually just empty it out and wash everything after im done treating. then i fill it up with whatever water the fish was in and start treating :unsure:

Edited by ermidontknow

well, unless you plan on testing your water daily, and performing the needed amount of water changes, you should have a filter on it (cycled). in your instance, i would do a 100% water change each day. AND using a water treatment that is a detoxifier as well as a dechlorinator (double or triple dosed).

do you have two filters on your main tank? if so, maybe you could take one of the filter pads (one thats been in there for a while) out of one and cut the filter floss off of the plastic frame. then you could add that peice of floss to your whisper.

actually, i should ask you what kind of filter/s are on your main tank?

Edited by toothless

im not exactly sure Lol theres 2, and theyre built in to the hoods on the tank, and are from eclipse. umm i dont know how to describe them , but heres a pic of them if it helps at all:

200_0011.jpg

and one of the intakes:

200_0013.jpg

woah! pretty spiffy! id like to check those out someday.

anyway, from what i could tell from the pics (very helpful), the intake tube runs from the bottom of the tank, up to the powerhead, wich pumps the water out onto a floss bed that traps all the poo and stuff, and the water goes through the floss out into the bio-wheel housing and then out to the tank. looks cool but noisy.

do you rinse the flosspad out in dechlorinated water? that really helps here. anyway, you could take the filter floss in the filter (if youve got a back-up to replace it with) and cut the floss pad away from the plastic frame (if need be) and push it into the filter box of the whisper. ideally you want to spread it out the best you can so that the water is forced through the floss. you might even be able to drape it over the waterfall return (whisper). thatll make the water have to pass over and through the floss.

if that filter pad has been used over and over again for the past few weeks, itll really be helpful.

it should hold the tank over until you can get new filter pads for the whisper. then you can shove that blue peice of floss in behind the new cartridgesin the whisper to quickly colonize the pad and cycle your tank rapidly. once that is accomplished and your goldies are healed up, i would suggest leaving the tank going. you can allways keep it cycled the fishless way.

anyway, post back if this sounds feasable!

i usually just rinse out the flosspads under the sinkwater :unsure: but i managed to get the whisper all set up so theres filtration on the q. tank now, and i changed 50% of the water, and added a tsp of amquel + and a couple drops with every pitcher of water i added.. so now, i wait till the morning and change 50% more of the water and then add the maroxy?

oh! and i forgot about the iodine swabs.. should i just gently swab the fungus or try to swab some of it off? n do i swab the fungus under the water or like hold him above the water?and on the box of swabs it says "active ingredient: povidone iodine 10% .. equal to 1% available iodine" is that okay to use on the fishys?

Lol sorry for all the questions , im just so paranoid ill accidentally do something to cause more harm to my fishy :thud:(

Edited by ermidontknow

i looked that up and i dont see any reason why you cant. just be care ful not to get it down his nostrils or on his eyes. as far as the q-tank water changes go, you got it right. umm, did you get a whisper filter pad (new) or did you do what i mentioned?

just for good measure, try to harvest a bit of the grayish/tannish looking gunk (beneficial bacteria) from inside the filter intake tube of your main tank. just pull it out and scrub it out a bit inside of your q-tanks water (after you perform tomorrows water change, that is). this will help boost the bio-filter as well. in theory, you should have an instantly cycled tank. just keep an eye on the params (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate).

dont forget to leave the carbon out of the whisper filter bag when you get them! :)

i did what you mentioned with the filter, and i just swabbed my white fantail and choc. oranda, but it was really hard to not get any iodine in his nostrils because the fungus has gone up onto one of the nostrils, or like right next to it, and i think i may have gotten a little bit in/on his nostril because the iodine in the swab sort of ran down his face when i put it upto his wen.. :unsure: and my poor white fantail looks like his tail is starting to rot away from the fungus which has spread onto his tail now :( poor babies.. i hope maroxy will help them out :unsure:

:( my choc. oranda is starting to float on his side.. would i be able to do another water change right now and add the maroxy tonight? he doesnt look like he has much time left :cry1

:o my choc. orandas wen is going away or something.. theres big dips around his eyes where his wen used to cover.. what couldve caused that? :cry1:cry1 i hope he pulls through all of this :cry1

I am so sorry erm, you tried. I know with my betta's they went quick, that fungus is mean. Concentrate on your other fish and get him better. :hug

:cry1 Erm---

I've been following this thread religously. I'm so sorry about your oranda. Don't feel badly, you really did a good job trying to help him. I always say that animals are a lot smarter than what many people think. In this case, I know your little fish knew you were trying to help. Cheer up hon, you did more than 99% of people would do. (Cept for all us Koko's people!). :hug

Erika

oh erm, im so sorry that you lost him. :o i tried to help you out the best i could. i was soo sure that i was going to read a happy post this afternoon. man, that fungus was a nasty one. jeez, i dont know what else to say except that i really do feel your pain. at least you know that you did all that you could do for him. as for now, you can concentrate on your fantail and get him all better.

post back soon and let us know how hes doing. :unsure:

:( i feel sooooo guilty today since im not sure if maybe i did get a little iodine in one of his nostrils, and maybe thats what killed him, since it was really sudden that he floated weirdly and died short after :cry1 but after he died i picked him up and looked at him closer and the fungus made a big hole in his chin and one of his nostrils was all red and the other was covered with fungus :cry1 i feel so bad for him.. i actually slept with him sitting on one of my stuffed animals in a gladware container with water and flowers in with him last night after he died. Lol i feel like such a loser but he was my favorite fishy.. ever lol :( but my fantail is still nice and chipper , so hopefully the maroxy will help him..although i changed 50% of the water this morning again and let the filter run but the water still has quite a few bubbles on the top of it.. should i try another water change before putting in the maroxy?

erm,

another 50% water change? it couldnt hurt. just try to leave the filter alone.

how are the params in the q-tank right now. its been about 24 hours since you set it up. i would think that if theres been any ammonia in the tank, it may have already been converted down to nitrates. you might not see a reading for nitrates yet but, if you dont find any measurable ammonia, then your filters got quite a head start on the cycle.

i think the location of the fungus was the main reason why he died so suddenly. maybe it infected his gills or something and the stress from being handled or moved was just too much for him. either way, you shouldnt kick yourself for it, you did everything that you could.

maybe when this is all said and done, you could get yourself another little chocoranda. :)

post back soon!

hm. the ammonias at 0.25 and i just dropped the can of the "5 in 1" test strips in the sink and the strips spilled all over so i have to pick through the ones that got wet before i can test for those :thud

and i might get another chocolate oranda from the same store i bought him from, they were all so cute and that particular pet store gets no business in their fish department because theyre insanely overpriced Lol they even sell the little 2" commons for $10 each! but i suppose its sort of good since i highly doubt anyone will be buying them in bulk to feed to something lol but anyways theyve had the same choc. orandas for months lol so i could buy one of my fish's buddies and hope he has alot of personality too :)

make sure to keep up on the daily water changes to keep those levels down. also, didnt you say that you use some sort of detoxifier like amquel+ or prime? if so, you can double dose that stuff to help lock up any remaining ammonia or nitites. water changes of about 50% should be pretty good for now. right after you do the water change, test for the ammonia/nitrite levels. if the ammonia stays under 1ppm, good. the double dose of detoxifier will help lock it up.

correct me if im wrong but, maroxy is to be administered daily right? if so, add the new dose of maroxy right after the water change has been done and the amm/trite levels are ok.

i know that this seems like a lot of work. after a few days, youll get use to it. :)

about the other chocoranda at your lfs, that sound like a very good idea! but, wait until youve treated your fantail and hes gone back into the main tank. then you can do a few water changes and add some carbon to your q-tank so that you can quarentine your new arrival. you know, just to make sure that he doesnt bring home any lurkers to your other babies. ;)

please post back soon about the maroxys treatment regemine!

Erm, I, too, just wanted to say how sorry I was about your oranda. That is horrible stuff, and you certainly worked hard to help him. When I read one of your early posts, warning bells went off because of the bubble gulping - Gilbert did that, too, and Joanne Burke says it can be a sign of internal columnaris (aka flexibacter). Awful stuff. Anyway, I hope your fantail is soon better.