Sign in to follow this  
ermidontknow

White Fuzz Around Mouth.. What Could It Be?

erm,

heh. yep, you should be in the clear! :D

keep a close eye on everybody though. ;)

ive gotta go get ready for bed now. i may not be back here until around 5-6pm est tomorrow (i get up before the sun does) so, ill check in for any new posts about your babies!

g'night :hi

heres a couple more pics of my oranda i took late last night.. the fungus is surrounding his whole mouth now, and from what i could see this morning it looks like its going up one of his cheeks too, but i cant see his face today since hes just sitting on the bottom facing the wall :unsure: i can see the reflection in the glass of him but not well enough to tell exactly what he looks like today. poor little guy :(

198_9803.jpg

197_9799.jpg

^sorry the glass is so smudged on that side Lol

i gave him his 2nd dose of melafix/pimafix this morning.. i hope it wasnt too soon though.. i wasnt sure if you had to wait a full 24 hours to give another dose but when i saw him just sitting lifelessly on the bottom i panicked.. anyway- it had been 14 hours between treatments.. is that okay?

Edited by ermidontknow

hi erm, i didnt go to work today because the worktruck broke down. :)

also, i couldnt help but notice that your gravel is kinda big and sharpish. this could be the cause of the original injury that later led to the fungus being able to settle in.

whenever i set up a goldie tank, i make well and sure that the gravel is:

1- too small for the smallest goldie to get it caught in their mouths. this is one of the leading causes of sudden death with juvenile goldies.

2- rounded. i allways pick a gravel that is rounded or polished. goldies looove to pick at the gravel and if they do this enough, they will wear away the protective slime coating. this will allow any sharp edges on the gravel to scrape or puncture their skin. in turn, this is where the fungus gets its "foot in the door" and can then spread out from there.

with this in mind, maybe you should think about changing your gravel to a more goldfish friendly type. i know that you really like the vivid blue coloring of what you have but, with a little searching, you might be able to find the same color in a different style (small, roundish or polished).

just a suggestion. ;)

he was eating some medi-gold yesterday but im not sure if hes up to eating today- and i held his head out of the water so he would open his mouth n theres definitely no stringy things, but when i tried to swab the fungus it looked like a piece of his lip was coming off too, and it made a little bit of a wound on the corner of his mouth so i stopped swabbing :( o man i feel so bad now.. the first time i tried to swab it i barely touched the fungus so none of it budged at all and the second time i pressed a bit harder and just a little fungus came off but it came off with a bit of skin.. ack have i hurt him more? :(:unsure:

and yeah, i think my gravel is what hurt him, since hes quite the fiesty little fish and dives for the food when theyre fed, and him and my big black moor always go after the same pellet, and the black moor swoops down over him and sort of shoves him into the gravel to move him out of the way.. it looks like its all in fun but he has had a scale or two get scraped off that way and a little scratch on his side but it never seemed to phase him, and sometimes he manages to knock himself into the gravel with all his bouncing around lol :unsure:

Edited by ermidontknow

yeah, the skin coming off with the fungus is somewhat normal. if your up to it, try to swab the areas thet you werent able to get the first time. not to worry, when the fungus dies away, the healing process will begin.

when you are inspecting for columnaris, you shouldnt hold his head out of the water because the thready strings will just stick together and not be visible. you have to look down his mouth from in front of him while he is breathing or opening his mouth (underwater).

post back soon

oo.. i held him under the water and waited for him to open his mouth but theres still no stringy stuff , and i managed to get a bit more of the fungus off with no loss of skin, but everytime i try to swab the rim of his mouth, the skin around the whole rim wants to peel off too.. and i cant bring myself to swab it off Lol im such a little baby when it comes to that.. since it looks like it would hurt to have all that skin come off *shudders* :unsure:

im not trying to make you feel bad but, i can assure you, it already hurts. :unsure:

thats ok though. :) your doing all that you can right now. im sure that youll see some improvement within the next day or two.

as far as the inspection of columnaris went, thats good news to hear that theres no visible sign of it. not that i thought that he had it, i just wanted to make double sure of the fungus.

keep up the diligence and youll help your little guy pull through this. :hug

o no.. my white fantail has some white clump on his tail, and its red all around it.. is that fungus too? ill take a picture of it now-

198_9829.jpg

198_9819.jpg

at the base of his body right before his tail.. is that fungus? and if it is would i be able to put him in with my chocolate oranda to treat?

its kinda hard to tell from the picture. does it look white and fuzzy like what you see on your choco? are you treating him with anything? i assume that hes in the q-tank right?

you could treat him with the mela/pima combo if it looks similar to what you see on your choco. if it doesnt, i need a better picture to see what it is.

by the way he a little cutie! :)

hes still in my 55 gal. and im not sure, i cant see it that well either since his little fin is in the way but it doesnt really look as fluffy as whats on my oranda, but im not sure since that little fin is covering it , but heres the closest pic i could get of it:

198_9837.jpg

well, i just dont know. :unsure: it could be bacterial. it could be fungial. either way, keep treating the whole tank and keep a close eye on them. if either fish doesnt seem to be getting any better within the next 2 days, you may want to find some maroxy. maroxy is made by mardel and should be readily available at most local fish stores. just give the mela/pima a little time to do its job first.

jeez, you sure seem to be dealing with a bit of a fungial problem here, huh? i sure hope that everything works out ok. im sure it will. :)

I looked at WM on my lunch and it carries the Jungle stuff metioned earlier for fungus....you might try there if you have one close by.

oops sorry - nnnnnn

My fault, just assumed everyone would know what I was talking about - LOL. If you only knew how much I depend on nnnnnn you would understand.

the mouth fungus on my choc. oranda is getting bigger :unsure: i swabbed it like 3 times yesterday but couldnt get much off, and it just keeps covering more of his face every time i look at him. my white fantail looks way better today , but my poor oranda isnt looking so good :( does it take awhile for the fungus to start going away?

ooo.. i didnt read that , Lol thank you

and my choc. oranda did have finrot when i bought him, so i treated him with melafix right after i got him, and it went away and he perked right up, but that was about a month or two ago..could it still have caused the fungus?

hmm.. if i were to find jungle fungus eliminator would i be able to clean out the q. tank and start treating with jfe? my oranda still swims and whatnot but his face is looking worse and worse, although the melafix/pimafix looks like its really working on my white fantail

Edited by ermidontknow

I don't know, I lost two bettas to a fungus, that is all the experience I have had with it. And they went really quick.... :(

You might pm Emma and talk to her about it.

yeah, if its still spreading, its obviously a very persistent type of fungus. you may want to try the iodine swabs in conjunction with the mela/pima or another more agressive med. i wish that i had read about the iodine swabs before this. i would have suggested them to you. sorry. :unsure: