Sign in to follow this  
ermidontknow

White Fuzz Around Mouth.. What Could It Be?

when i got up this morning i looked at my favorite little chocolate oranda swimming around happily as usual , and then to my horror noticed he has some white stuff on about half of the rim of his mouth. hes starting to sit at the bottom more, and get a little lethargic, as if he doesnt feel so great .. i KNOW this wasnt there yesterday.. is it fungus? and what should i treat it with? hes my favorite fishy and i cant stand to lose him :( heres some pics of it:

197_9753.jpg

197_9755.jpg

(hes not torn up and doesnt have the white spots on his tail that it looks like he does in that pic)

hey its probly just a bacterial infection it will clear up with regular water changes about 20% each day and with a bacterial medicine

should i try treating with maracyn 2? i put him in a 10 gal. by himself and fed him a little medi-gold but i was hesitant to put any meds in since im not sure which one would be best for him :huh:

that looks like fungus to me... there's special medicine for fungus thats different than the antibacterial stuff, but you'd have to check with yuour petstore, cause i dunno whats available in your area; salt helps sometimes, it worked for my betta, so try that in the mean time, and QUARANTINE, that stuff catches :P

sorry i cant be any more help, wait till someone more experienced gets online

Guest martinez14pr

Regular water changes will NOT make this go away! This could be flexibacter, a very serious bacterial infection often called "mouth fungus" You're best bet would be to go to the pet store, and read the backs of various medications to see the different kinds of diseases, symptoms, etc. First off, if I were you, I would try a medicine called Jungle Fungus Eliminator, which is not geared toward fungus (confusing i know - but most people mistake bacteria for fungus, and JFE knows this so it puts antibiotics in the medication) or Kanacyn (which is a strong antibiotic for ten net gallons of water) they are both good strong meds, i've had success with both, and judging by the condition of your fishes' mouth, this little guy definately has a bad infection. please post your water params and make sure you're keeping him in 0 ammonia and steady temp and pH levels so it doesn't cause him anymore stress in the meantime. also, not to worry you, but you kinda need to act fast on this one, only because bacteria thrive in higher temps and with the heat wave going around, i would hate to see the infection grow worse. just monitor his water with a test kit everyday, and medicate accordingly. good luck and i hope this helps you

Guest martinez14pr

p.s. if your house or apt is getting warm, add an extra air bubbler to the tank - hotter weather depleats oxygen in the water, & with kanacyn especially, you need to make sure your aquarium is getting extra aeration, it depleates the oxygen fast. also when you medicate the fish, read the directions on the back of the box - NORMALLY they are pretty good with dosages and procedures.

o dear.. do you think i should take any precautionary measures with the other fish in my 55 gal? none of them have anything like my oranda yet but then again , my oranda had nothing on his mouth just yesterday so who knows what could pop up soon. the water params for the 10 gal. hes in are:

nitrites- 0

nitrates- 40

ammonia- 0

pH- 7.8-8.0

and the temp. of the 10 gal. is 77 degrees.. should i float a plastic baggie full of ice in there to cool it off a few degrees or is this an okay temp?

Guest martinez14pr

everything looks fine. you might want to do a partial water change to bring those nitrates down. safe levels is 0-20, 40 is not toxic, but has the poss. to cause stress. do you have live plants in there? that will help keep the nitrate number down as well. how many fish do you have in the 55 gallon? what i do, (and i know this might not be recommended by everybody) is i put the jungle fungus clear right in the community tank because it's supposed to treat the "whole" tank - meaning the other inhabitants and the ornaments, gravel etc. so nothing spreads. i ALWAYS have bad luck when i seperate and treat any of my fish for bacterial infections. i find the move causes too much stress. you will not kill your other fish by putting the antibiotic in (whatever kind you get), but as always, any overexposure to antibiotics when your'e not sick possibly creates a tolerance against the medicine the next time (just like with humans)

best thing you can do is keep the water tip tip tip tip top clean pristine! ;) good luck

in my 55 gal. i have a ton of live plants, but for my quarantine tank i just keep 3 plastic plants in it. at the moment i have 6 goldies in my 55 gal. and 2 emerald cory cats. i had a weather loach in there for about 2 days last week but he was pretty sick and died a couple days after i bought him. i hope he didnt introduce anything to my tank :( i didnt quarantine him since my q. tank doesnt have a lid and i was afraid he'd zip right out of it. and im not sure how to get the nitrates down.. it seems like no matter how many plants i have in any of my tanks, its stuck at 40 in all of them Lol :wall .. n would one bottle of the medicine for the mouth fungus or one package of it treat a 55 gal. tank? im afraid of treating the whole tank since it seems like it'd cost an arm and a leg to keep the treatments up for however long it needs lol :blink:

Erm--

Hey, I've used the JFE in my 55 gallon, and one little jar goes a kinda long way. I used it twice, and I still have some left. I agree with Martinez, put it in the 55 gallon too. JFE is pretty good stuff, I'd definetly go that route first.

Guest martinez14pr

here's the best part, ermi, JFE is the CHEAPEST stuff out there!!! GO FIGURE?? but don't say it too loud, or aquarium pharmaceuticals will catch on lol. it's also the easiest stuff to use that i've encountered yet. it won't stain your aquarium walls like RidIch ich medication does, and it turns your water this pretty green color for a few days lol. i get it here for about 3.49 a pop. you should need just about one package, because you put the medicine in the tank once and wait 4 days. then, if it's healed it's healed - if not, then you do another dose after a partial water change. i think the box comes with 8-10 tablets, and you'll need 5 1/2 - 6 tablets (i'd put in 6 tablets if i were you anyway, its not sensitive to overdosing like kanacyn is) so if you want pick up 2 boxes, it's good to have handy anyway, even if you don't use it right now.

Guest martinez14pr

jeese, i know NOTHING about cory cats, sorry. although i can't see why it would hurt them. someone will pipe up about it...

Nope, mine were fine with it. Donna and Old Man didn't act affected at all. Martinez---

You buy JFE in pill form?? I only see it in powder. WEird.

hm. i called every pet store in town and no one carries jungle fungus eliminator :( i was looking at vvvv.com and was wondering if this might work too though:

click

has anyone used this before?

:( i went to 2 petstores and neither had kanacyn either.. so i bought some aquarium salt as a last resort. should i put 1 tsp in like it says or will it not help? im going to go to the other petstore around here tomorrow, since theyre already closed for the night tonight

that is definitely a true fungus! fungus attacks a fish at the site of recent injuries or bacterial infections. a couple of things that can cause a fungus attack are a raise in temperature and not enough fresh air getting to the waters surface so that it can be circulated by the surface currents. there are other things that can cause this but, most likely it is one of the two that i described.

when im dealng with a true fungial infection, the first thing that i reach for is melafix/pimafix. melafix is a very good antibiotic/bacterial inhibitor and pimafix is a very good fungial eliminator that also treats internal bacterial infections. both are very safe to use (even on fry. but, i havent tried it on fry yet so, i dont know the validity of that claim). i can tell you that using both at the same time will quickly eliminate any fungus and guard against any further bacterial activity. both are very safe to use without disrupting the bio-cycle. using the two together cured a case of true mouth fungus on my comet (lurch) within 3-4 days. i continued treatment for a few days after that just for good measure. if you can find it, im sure that youll find it to be a very good med to have around because of the wide range of things that it treats. and it is very mild so, it wont hurt your fish like some other meds out there. :unsure:

i hope this helps you some!

post back and let us know how everything goes. :o

by the way,

the one sure way to tell whether or not this is indeed flexibacter (columnaris) is whitish thready (stringy) looking strands blowing in and/or out of the mouth or just inside of the mouth. if you dont see this then it most likely isnt flexibacter (columnaris) and can very easily be remedied with the meds that i described to you above.

again. i hope this helps you some! :)

:yikes omg is this really happening? i just looked in my tank to make sure nobody else has any mouth fungus and my big black more has ich!! ahhhh i only have one quarantine tank :thud:wall oh man this just isnt my day now is it? lol should i treat the 55 gal. for ich? no one else has it, but i do have maracide so i guess i could treat the whole tank for that and treat for the fungus in my quarantine tank. orrr i could use my other 10 gal. tank i have 2 bettas in and place each of them in different tanks.. but that would mean one would have to go in with my goldies and one with my huge angelfish.. neither seem like a good match lol o goodness :thud Edited by ermidontknow

sry couldnt edit the last post but-

theres no stringy stuff in / on his mouth.. but the fungus is covering alot more of his mouth than it was earlier today

and i added 1 tsp of melafix and pimafix but i forgot to shake up the melafix before pouring it in.. thats not like imperative or anything is it? :unsure: :ph34r:

are you positive that its ich? i say that because small particles of stuff can get caught in their slime coat and give you a little scare. also, moors are very well known for getting very visible breeding stars on their pectoral fins and even around their eyes and on their heads. this is commonly mistaken for ich. could this be what your seeing? if so, that would explain the fungus too. fungus generally attacks during heat spikes. and breeding stars tend to show up during wobbles in the temperature (namely water warming up a bit after a cool period). if it is truly ich, i would treat him in the big tank and treat the fungus in the q-tank. if the choco with the fungus winds up with ich while your treating him for fungus, you can add him back to the big tank and continue with the fungus meds later (if need be).

ina situation where youve got an infection of sorts, accompanied by a parasite, it is usualy best to treat for the parasite first, then the infection. thats because the parasites are probably the reason for the infection in the first place. so you take care of the core problem, then the secondary infections. makes sense, right?

post back and let us know whats going on! :unsure:

Sorry bout your fishy problems. I wouldnt pull black moore, I would just treat the tank and the fish in that one and keep doing what you are doin for the other one. I had ich just a short time ago, it was a drag. I feel for ya , hope it goes away quickly and your other one with the mouth problem goes okay. Good luck :hi

Edited by SuSu

im not sure its ich- i just washed the dirt n stuff off of the filter pads earlier and when i put them back there was a ton of those little white dots of..whatever they are .. that went into the tank (is it the carbon maybe? im not sure) , and since my black moor's favorite spot in the tank is right where all those white dots would come out of the filter into the tank,so i figured maybe those got stuck to my black moor, since he didnt have any dots before that but i thought they wouldve come off before now :huh: and he has them all over, but theres not like a ton of them or anything

Edited by ermidontknow

heres what you can do to tell what it is:

go get a cotton swab or a q-tip. submerge it into your tank with the moor. let it soak for a sec and then gently swab an area of suspected ich. if it comes away with a quick, gentle swab, then your just seeing detritus (poo and whatnot from the filter). if it stays pretty firmly attached, then inspect it much closer..... no, closer than that........ c'mon, push your nose up against the glass!...... there, thats better! now, does the white(ish) spots look like they are on the end of a very small stalk? or kind of hoovering above the actual slimecoat or scales? if so, then its probably ich. ok, now its time to panic! :yikes just kidding. sorry, im just trying to cheer you up some. :) actually, now you want to think about treating them all for ich. :(

post back soon! :unsure:

Edited by toothless