Any Advice On Pythons?

Ever since the death of one of my goldies, via the siphon on the python, I've been scared to death to do water changes. Everyone seems to swim right up to the tube, poking it, trying to swim in it. I'm sure I'm just paranoid, but I'm concerned. I thought about putting all my fish in a bucket while I did the change, but I wouldn't want to shock them when I put them back in the tank.

Does anyone have any siphon tips? Any kind of attachment that goldies can't fit into?

I dun use gravel, so I place the suction tip as close to the ground level as I can..

another important thing that I do, is to have my hand on the other end where the water is coming out.. Here I have a finger readily to close up the outlet to stop water flow.. I will only stop the water flow if any fish come too close or when I need to retract the suction tube to another area that is full of debris..

Or you can get a small piece of panty hose and a rubber band. Cut the panty hose to size, put it over the bell of the python, and secure it tightly with the rubberband. That way, even if the fish come to close, they can not get sucked into the bell, since its covered with that panty hose piece... :)

Yeah, you are right, its kind of a toughy. How about fome pond netting? That has much bigger space inbetween, but way not big enough for any fish to fit through, except maybe fry!.... :lol:

I have found that even if a fish gets accidentally sucked into it, the suction is slow enough that I can just pull it up to just above water level, and whatever is in the tube at that time, including the fish, comes right out before going to never never land!

Also, I just keep mine really close to the surface of the gravel when I'm moving it. The only ones I have had get sucked in the tube are baby guppies, that I couldn't even see until they were in the tube.

Good luck! :D

I don't have any fancy tricks. All I do is when I vaccum the gravel is keep the nosel pointed down and hold it really close to the gravel so the fish cannot swin under it. I do have one fish that likes to play around the tube, he likes biting at it. When I just do a water change without cleaning the gravel, I just keep my on the tube at All times and try to point it away from the fish. I hope you find something that works for you.

Laurie

Never walk away from the Python or gravel vac and you wont have any problems. Fish are curious and like to come check things out. I like the Python because it has the little emergency close valve on it. I always keep one hand on the tube down in the tank and my other hand on the switch. If anyone gets close I just turn the switch.

Also what size is your tank? If it is 55 gallons or less you can use a tank divider. Just get all the fish on one side and put the divider in and siphon the other side. Then switch.

Honestly though I have never had a problem sucking up goldfish. If they do come close I kind of gently swat them away.

My dwarf tetras on the other hand? I have had to stop several siphons to prevent sucking those little guys up!

Archived