The Downside Of Breeding Goldfish

mkinga

I know I don't have space for more than a few goldfish, so I need to cull the rest. Its been about 2.5 weeks now. I got rid of the small guys, the guys who have no top fin, the guys with lopsided back tails, the ones who were crawling around the bottom, the bent back guys. I still have too many, how do I pick :(

I have about 10 left, but I can't raise that many. Should I wait a while longer to cull more, or are there other criteria?

Guest Pondandfish

I would wait till they get a little bigger.

I have 100+ koi Fry+ three fancy Fry (had four, one MIA).

Plan on raising all of them if I can and give away some to friends and family.

I would be crying if I only have ten lefted.

Well I started with about 40, then about 15 died pretty fast. Then with the remaining 25 I culled 15. Even with 10 I need 100 gallon tank :( . My local pet store sucks in terms of how much they pay for fish back (and they want them to be over an inch - they would pay literally $1), and I don't know anyone who wants goldfish, even for free, unless I take out an advertisement.

Its really really hard to cull them as they gold older, makes me feel really bad killing them

Oops forgot to add, if anyone wants some tiny goldfish fry (red capped orandas) and they are in the vancouver area, feel free to inform me, I have some tiny free goldfish for you :) .

Guest Orandaman

I can empathize with your situation. I've gone through the same myself.

Since you only have ten, just raise them as best you can for the fun of it. You needn't worry about having to have a 100 gallon tank just yet. That will be when they are about 6 inches or more in about 3+ years. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here that will help you.

I've talked to pet shops around my area too. Understandably, they are not interested in raising fish. They are in business of selling fish.

As far as culling, Ranchu breader are the most ruthless. Out of 500 fry, they will keep only 25 by the end of the year. Ranchus are particularly tough to breed. Very few end up having the desired smooth arched back. Demanding shoppers settle for nothing less. The common method of culling is (feeder). :angry:

For you, me and most members on this site we wish all our fry are worth keeping.

Get the word out on this site or other. See if friends and family are willing to take them in. :P

I would give them away if someone would take them! no one, not even pet stores want them for free. Of course I've asked my friends and family already (could be an indication I need more friends :) ). But I think I'll keep the few I have left around, no clue what I'll do with them though, as they are growing pretty quick and I have no extra tanks for them. Hopefully I'll figure something out. All I've got is a 6 gallon tank, and I've got no more room for anything else.

slipperylittlesucker you must have a LOT of goldfish or friends. My goldfish just lay about 500+ eggs, I think I'll just get rid of them this time, no way I can support anymore.

mkinga-keep your chin up!!! This is a valuable learning lesson,for you,and the many people that would like to try their hand at breeding! Everyone wants babies,and they don't take the time to think of all the hard work,decisions,and placement of the fry,before hand(myself included) You have been extremely dedicated to this event,and I'm proud of you for it! ;) I wouldn't cull any more unless there was an obvious reason. I would continue the care and keeping of these precious ten,but constantly put the word out that you have them for adoption.You apparently have been doing something right,or the eggs would have never hatched,so keep it up. I have heard it over and over,and I'd have to try to at least get the rubbermaid tubs or what-ever,to give yourself some space. Alot of people say that they are very reasonable with the price,and that they work out in a bind,rather than getting rid of healthy baby fish. Hang in there-someone will hear your story and help you out. Oranda man managed to adopt all his out,and he started out slow(I'd like to think that all my wonderful plugs of the babies I adopted ,helped him)LOL-but he has managed to adopt them all out. I wish I lived nearer to you ,I'd take one myself! (Of course I'd be looking for a rubbermaid container,cause I'm dragging my feet on buying a new tank-cant decide on size) :D Good Luck,Hon!!!

Guest ed586

Interesting problem but carnivorous animals have to eat too. My sister has a turtle which, I'm told, will be much healthier if it recieves a feeder fish at times. I may have to resort to letting her "borrow" some of my deformed baby fish too.

Actually, I don't know why any of my friends would feel good about me offering a deformed fish to them while I keep all the good ones! But, I don't have babies yet and will need to find the best way to deal with this situation. In the end, you have to just do your best, I guess.

Thanks for all the great and kind replys. I have a question though, are goldfish that are semi-transparent looking (can see inside them) going to have problems? Most of my fish except 1 is silver looking, with one see-through guy, I can see red and black parts inside him.

Guest Orandaman

Ed is right, you wouldn't want your friends and family to take what fish you wouldn't want to keep yourself. I think friends and family worry that if they die in their hands you'll get upset with them. So, they just shy away from the possibility. That's what my brother said anyway, " I might kill them!". Well, assure them that that's okay.

What you describe is normal. For the first few weeks they'll be transparent almost. You can see their guts and all. As they get older they will develope a silvery skin. (about 3 weeks) Check out my discussion thread. I have slide shows on fry development from the first few days to now (4months). Blinky asked me to repost cause it expires after 30 days. She and others have been comparing their fry with mine to see what to expect and when.

Its been less than 3 weeks, but my (remaining) fry look like the pictures of your 4-6 week fry, so I guess the lucky last few are doing well! thanks for the pics, they are very helpfull!

I think all of us that go through this ,just get so caught up in the excitement of the moment,that we don't think that far ahead.Breeding is a great learning experience,and I myself would love trying it at least once.You'll either become addicted,or you'll walk out of it never to do it again.-It's all a learning process.

Yeah I have to admit I was just happy that they hatched, I didn't think what I would do after. Its when I acutally got some, that I realized I didn't plan this at all! I know I'll just let nature take its course the next time, since I can't handle anymore.

Archived