Can I keep one Shubunkin goldfish in a 20gal high tank?

I currently have one shubunkin, won him from the fair, he’s about 5in long. He’s in a 20gal high tank by himself, but I’ve been reading and a lot of mixed answers pop up. Will he be lonely by himself in this tank? Is this tank good for him? I really care about him and want him to live a long happy life!

• Admin
On 10/26/2022 at 1:32 PM, lexiii said:

I currently have one shubunkin, won him from the fair, he’s about 5in long. He’s in a 20gal high tank by himself, but I’ve been reading and a lot of mixed answers pop up. Will he be lonely by himself in this tank? Is this tank good for him? I really care about him and want him to live a long happy life!

Well the fish could live in that size of thank. The issue is goldfish need a long tank more than a high tank. Goldfish are long fish and they need room to swim back and forth. Yes they do like to have a buddy living with them more than being by themselves. 

A long tank would be better for him, also the bigger the tank the better. Making your life (water changes) and the fish's live much better. 

21 hours ago, koko said:

Well the fish could live in that size of thank. The issue is goldfish need a long tank more than a high tank. Goldfish are long fish and they need room to swim back and forth. Yes they do like to have a buddy living with them more than being by themselves. 

A long tank would be better for him, also the bigger the tank the better. Making your life (water changes) and the fish's live much better. 

Ohhhh, ok! Nobody seemed to want to tell me this 😂, I’ve had the fish since Monday, but he never swims to the top of the tank. I was reading about this and some people said it could be fluke, while others said they are just bottom feeders. He swims around a little at the bottom of the tank but never swims to the top, ever. Do you know what this could be?

He likes to swim around his plants, should I get some up high ones? This is the highest he’s swam up. (Sorry it’s blurry)

67749E4D-305B-4928-A489-5DD9350B9C56.jpeg

Update: I just did a water change! 
Nitrate- 0ppm

Nitrite- 0ppm

Ammonia- 0.50

(gonna use something to lower it.)

Ph- 6.0

George is still staying towards the bottom but it’s not laying down at the bottom, he’s actively swimming.

• Admin

That ph is very low... 😮

Lets do a test on your ph. Get a jug fill it with the water you use for waterchanges. Test the ph, kh, gh with an airstone running in the jug. Let it set for 24 hours then test it again. We want to see how that ph is adjusting it self. 

1 hour ago, koko said:

That ph is very low... 😮

Lets do a test on your ph. Get a jug fill it with the water you use for waterchanges. Test the ph, kh, gh with an airstone running in the jug. Let it set for 24 hours then test it again. We want to see how that ph is adjusting it self. 

I actually used ph up, and now it’s 7.8, this seems to be much better from what I’ve read :)

• Admin
2 hours ago, lexiii said:

I actually used ph up, and now it’s 7.8, this seems to be much better from what I’ve read :)

The thing is you need to keep it stable, so doing the test will help you figure out what its doing. You can always do it that way but its a paint in the butt to keep doing that. If you KH is low than we can do some buffering stuff like baking soda or crushed coral. If there is something in the tank like rocks and such causing the KH to go down too. 

That is way I was suggesting to test your tap water. :) 

10 minutes ago, koko said:

The thing is you need to keep it stable, so doing the test will help you figure out what its doing. You can always do it that way but its a paint in the butt to keep doing that. If you KH is low than we can do some buffering stuff like baking soda or crushed coral. If there is something in the tank like rocks and such causing the KH to go down too. 

Ohhh ok! :) thank you. do you have any idea why he stays at the bottom of the tank? some people said it’s because I don’t have a lid on the tank right now, and he thinks something will get him. is this true, and other people said he needs live plants, is that also true??

57 minutes ago, koko said:

Hi again, I recently noticed when I used a net in the tank my fishy swam to the top to try and escape it, (just tryna get leftover food out) and he was gasping near the top of the tank. He immediatly swam to the bottom, and was gasping. Do I need to go buy him a bubbler?

• Admin

You shouldn't have to scoop food out of the tank. Either your feeding to much to him or he isnt eating. If hes not eating then we have another problem.

The ph could also be causing an issue. Not having a lid doesn't cause your fish to stay at the bottom. Not having a lid might be a problem if the fish wants out of the tank because the tank water isnt in the right conditions. I have had many reports of fish jumping ship and landing on the floor. I would suggest a lid.

2 hours ago, koko said:

You shouldn't have to scoop food out of the tank. Either your feeding to much to him or he isnt eating. If hes not eating then we have another problem.

The ph could also be causing an issue. Not having a lid doesn't cause your fish to stay at the bottom. Not having a lid might be a problem if the fish wants out of the tank because the tank water isnt in the right conditions. I have had many reports of fish jumping ship and landing on the floor. I would suggest a lid.

The food was actually flakes, and had gotten stuck in the filter. I watched him and he’s eating :)

should the ph be lowered?

5 hours ago, koko said:

The food was actually flakes, and had gotten stuck in the filter. I watched him and he’s eating :)

should the ph be lowered?

• Admin

The ph need to be stable, Thats why its a good reason to test the tap water and then the tank.

When I feed my fish flakes or pellets I turn my filter off for 5 mins. This give the fish the chance to eat the food without it going into the filtration system and get gunky. 

4 hours ago, koko said:

The ph need to be stable, Thats why its a good reason to test the tap water and then the tank.

When I feed my fish flakes or pellets I turn my filter off for 5 mins. This give the fish the chance to eat the food without it going into the filtration system and get gunky. 

I will have to try that, I woke up today anddd….George was at the top of the tank! I got him omega one pellets and he seems to enjoy those more, as he jumps out toward them. I got the top fin battery operated bubbler as an emergency bubbler. Is there one you’d recommend that lasts longer? The battery lasts about two days without cutting it off. 

On 11/2/2022 at 12:11 PM, koko said:

The Ph in my tap is 6.0, the water I use has a ph of a little under 7.4.

On 11/2/2022 at 12:11 PM, koko said:

My fish was fine yesterday, all happy swimming around. All of a sudden he’s swimming with fins clamped, he’s swimming on his side and has cloudy stuff on his head and eyes!!! He has lost a lot of strength and even the filter pushes him down. I am using tetra lifeguard and just started today..will he be ok what is this???? please help he looks like he’s going to die
pictures https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/attachments/image-jpg.864578/ https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/attachments/image-jpg.864575/?

1 hour ago, koko said:

The ph is causing the issue. That low ph is burning the fish... We need to adjust that quickly.

He passed this morning…thank you.