Sign in to follow this  
Tiny

I Had To Bring Him Home.

Hi guys, look what I brought home today.Spot

He's a white and red Ryukin from vvvv. I took my daughter with me to buy food for Tiny and Eminem and she saw him and begged me to get him. She named him Spot before I could tell her no so I had to get him. He's with my ohter two goldies in a 20 gal. I know I'm overstocked but I planned on getting a bigger tank as soon as I move to New York in Aug. so I figured they'd be alright until then.

Anyway, I'm confused. He looks exactly like Tiny except for the color, but Tiny was labeled as a large Fantail at nnnnnn where I bought him. Spot was labeled as a medium Ryukin at vvvv. nnnnnn had Tiny in a tank with other types of goldies and Spot was in a tank with only Ryukins at vvvv. Whose wrong? Please look through my album at photobucket.com and help me decide if I have two fantails or two ryukins. Thanks for any help.

goldfish album

I must just say - Spot is gorgeous, looks exactly like a fantail I had a few months ago!

It looks to me (the untrained eye) like you have 2 fantails! Gorgeous ones at that!

Thanks for the compliment. It's hard to believe that vvvv would label a fish wrong. I mean if you think that I have two fantails then, cool. You,d know better than I would. I have seen some Ryukins with massive humps, though. Oh yeah, did you see Eminem? What kind is he? Any opinions?

It's funny. I've been keeping goldies for almost a year now and I still don't trust that I know what kind of fancies I have. :(

Hi, Im sorry but that does NOT look like a fantail LOL, That is most definatly a Ryukin(sp).I could be wrong...... But It sure doesnt look like a normal fantail 2 me LOL, And i saw your other post of the spots, LOL My goldie has those SAME breeding stars, So very cool to see something like that isnt it !....I hope someone else comes along and verifies your goldie :D

:lol That is a ryukin, my friend. No doubt. Good luck!!!!!!

Tiny is the orange one, right? Because Tiny looks like even more of a ryukin than Spot! I think they're both at least part ryukin, but they might be some kind of mixed breed.

Guest PeachesCat

Definately a Ryukin.... What part of New York are you moving to? We have a lot of New Yorkers here!

I believe Spot is a ryukin, but a young one at that. The hump on his back should get larger with age!! ;)

I think that Spot and Tiny are ryukins or have a little bit of ryukin in their blood. I bought 2 fantails last year from mmm and as they're getting older and bigger I've noticed that one of them is starting to look like a ryukin as well. I think most of the fish that we get from our LFS's are mixed breeds...nothing wrong with that, right?! There's this one fish that I'd love to get at my LFS...it has telescope eyes, a pearlescale body and a wen!

Oh, and as far as Ash, does he/she have an orange belly?

I've always wanted a Ryukin and I've had one the whole time. That's funny :lol:

Yes Tiny is the orange one.

I'm actually being transfered to Fort Drum. I don't know what to expect. I'm very nervous; for myself and my fishies. :o

I guess Ash has a bit of a bronze colored belly, but not so much orange.

I just want to say, that my Whitie who looks 100% fantail, is actually a Ryukin. Both her parents have HUGE humps. So it's not always that the store has the fish mislabeled, but the fish doesn't always fit the breed standard :P

Jessica

I agree with Jessica, the pet stores dont sell show-quality fish so most of them are intermediate breeds. Yours is probably between a fantail and ryukin, or else hes maybe a poor-quality ryukin, one that didnt meet show standards so he was sold as a pet. My Simeon looks almost identical to him in body shape. He is so adorable!! I just love the white with red spots. My latest rescue was a white feeder with red spots. Anyway congrats on him, hes gorgeous!

well that breed standard stuff does make sense. Spot has breeding stars and was chasing Tiny this morning. Does that mean that Tiny is a girl or do males just chase anything? I watched a video of two orandas spawning and that's what this chasing looked like. He hasn't paid any attention to Eminem, though.

A very nice colored fish i would say.

--Yin

I bought my first goldfish last week-He/she is a Ryukin! I think your fish are cutie pies too!