Sign in to follow this  
JDMac2006

Hey everyone!

If plants are used as a food source, should they be fed their normal fish food as well?

(by the way i don't have a tank yet, i am planning on getting one and i was just considering live plants or fake)

Thanx everyone

JDMac2006

Normally goldfish just nibble on plants. They are not a primary food source. In fact there are many plants that most goldfish don't like the taste of, like java moss and java fern. So think of them as a 'secondary' food source. Primary food sources should be pellets or other store bought foods. They provide more proteins and carbs and an overall healthier diet than plants alone.

If you do not feed your fish pellets, then yes, they will go after your plants and decimate them very quickly. It can get very expensive. Live plants benefit your tank by removing nitrates, providing some oxygen, and giving fish hidey holes. They also make your tank look nice. Its up to you whether or not to use them.

Originally I started with fake, but eventually the plastic plants became algae covered and disgusting looking, so I switched to live in one tank and a mix of live and fake in another. :D

In addition, *treats* for your goldfish can include romaine lettuce, Peas cooked, earthworms, eggs, cucumber, insect larvae, grapes,oranges, spinach, Flake, Pellet, Tubiflex, Krill, Plankton, Brine shrimp, Blood Worms, Spirulina, and Daphnia. But these should supplement a pellet//flake food diet.

Goodluck with your tank shopping!

still fead your fish as normal and i have fake and real plants in my tank i think the real plants help in your tank to keep it well but thay rot as well whitch is not all that good but the fake ones do not so i would have both if i was you :D

Edited by the goldfish man

Guest K!TTEN

hey I am about to get a goldfish and I want some advice on feeding as the last couple I had i over-fed and they :( died so I need to know how much I should feed one goldfish (the type a beginner might get!)

As much as they can eat in 3 mins