Brown Algae

Ammonia (tank/tap): 0/0

Nitrite (tank/tap): 0/0

Nitrate (tank/tap): 5/0

pH (tank/tap): 7.2

kH (tank/tap):

gH (tank/tap): 18 (per the water company ~400 ppm)

Hope everyone is having a nice summer so far. It's been a while since I've been on. Taco is doing great, growing like a weed :)   only thing I have questions on is how everyone deals with brown algae if at all?

It not the hair kind, just grows on the glass and leaves of his plants. I use a soft tooth brush to clean the plants about every 10 days or so, and the glass weekly when I do water changes. I've reduced his overhead light to 8 hours, but there is still ambient light in the room he's in, none that shines directly on the tanks. Tank temp is about 73.5 most of the time, 75 on really hot days (we don't have a/c in the whole house). Anyway, it does not seem to be doing any harm, just looks bad, and the snail eats it too 😜

Do you have live plants and what type of snail do you have? 😊

Controlling algae with goldfish is bit of a losing battle to be honest! They produce tonnes of mess that it feeds from and destroy any plants which you need to out compete it. It might be worth reducing the photoperiod again or trying a phosphate remover. 

I have mostly just anubis right now, I used to have duckweed and elodea but he ate it faster that it was growing (which is fine), but no one has had any in stock for weeks. I have a blue mystery snail and there is one smaller pest snail of some sort that I saw for the first time this am.

I should have mentioned that he's a 3-3.5" nose to tail-tip ranchu in a 40 breeder.

I was toying with the idea of getting him a friend, but I don't want to negatively impact my water - it took me months to get it stable lol

I didn't have nearly this much algae over the winter / spring, but I had a lot more plants and the water was colder, so maybe it's just going to be worse in the summer months 😕

• 1 month later...
  • Admin
On 7/17/2022 at 9:56 AM, SilverWen said:

I have mostly just anubis right now, I used to have duckweed and elodea but he ate it faster that it was growing (which is fine), but no one has had any in stock for weeks. I have a blue mystery snail and there is one smaller pest snail of some sort that I saw for the first time this am.

I should have mentioned that he's a 3-3.5" nose to tail-tip ranchu in a 40 breeder.

I was toying with the idea of getting him a friend, but I don't want to negatively impact my water - it took me months to get it stable lol

I didn't have nearly this much algae over the winter / spring, but I had a lot more plants and the water was colder, so maybe it's just going to be worse in the summer months 😕

Is there any low level light that is coming into the tank? I get green water every summer and spring because of the light that will hit my tank.