ich breakout / seachem paraguard interact with hikari ich-x?

Hi everyone, I have an ich breakout in my 55g goldfish tank, there are 6 juvenile fancies (all different breeds, mostly under 1 year old) and i’ve been treating with Seachem paraguard and leaving the aquarium sitting at 78°F (0 ammonia and nitrites, and about 10-20 nitrates since the tank is planted, pH around 7.2) and the ich has since spread to 2 other fish in the tank (visibly). I want to switch to ich x real soon but i’m afraid that the change in medicine will shock the fish and/or may cause fish loss. I would like to know what would be the best and quickest way to switch from paraguard to ich x by reducing the shock as much as possible, please ask questions if you need any more info, i’ll answer the best I can. any help is greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin
On 6/24/2022 at 9:57 PM, ej b said:

Hi everyone, I have an ich breakout in my 55g goldfish tank, there are 6 juvenile fancies (all different breeds, mostly under 1 year old) and i’ve been treating with Seachem paraguard and leaving the aquarium sitting at 78°F (0 ammonia and nitrites, and about 10-20 nitrates since the tank is planted, pH around 7.2) and the ich has since spread to 2 other fish in the tank (visibly). I want to switch to ich x real soon but i’m afraid that the change in medicine will shock the fish and/or may cause fish loss. I would like to know what would be the best and quickest way to switch from paraguard to ich x by reducing the shock as much as possible, please ask questions if you need any more info, i’ll answer the best I can. any help is greatly appreciated!

Best thing to do if you want to switch meds, is to do one 50% water change one day then do another. I would also add carbon into the filter and let it run in there for 24 hours. After that you should be able to add the new meds.