Do We Put AmGuard in Fry Tank?

Hi all,

About 3 weeks ago, my one-eyed telescope, Paris, chased around my wenned panda oranda, Tuxedo. Honestly I tried the hand breeding technique out of curiosity and now I end up raising 55 goldfish fry. They're about 22 (not 25) days old up until today. In 3 weeks, Tuxedo spawned 3 more times but I didn't really keep the eggs! 

Quick questions:
1. They poop a LOT --I took this video 10 minutes after I siphoned the bottom and you can see there were food/poop residues already everywhere. I basically siphon the bottom every time I'm done feeding them. It usually takes away about 20%-25% of their water. Is that enough?

2. How many times should I actually feed these fry?? My schedule:
7-8 AM: baby brine shrimps
10 AM: snacks (usually soaked spirulina/algae wafer/the residues of the parents' food --I soaked pellets and all that so there is usually some residues)
1-2 PM: grounded pellets (sinking) and or soaked spirulina/algae wafer
6-7 PM: baby brine shrimps 

The thing is, I feed them and when I come back to look in 5 minutes, the food ARE mostly gone. 
Is that too much?

3. I put some plants in the tank but I *am* worried about the ammonia in the water and all. Should I put a sponge filter? I don't think it will do much? 

4. Should I try to cull them now? Some get super fat/rounded, some are thinner/slimmer. I also see 5-6 fry with a single/fused tail. What do I do to the ones get "eliminated"?

Thank you!

Hello RIE, and Congratulations on your fry !

There are many ways to raise goldfish and I can give you my suggestions as I see in your video and your description of routine for feed and water maintenance.

fish look healthy and are growing rapidly. Seem to have plenty of space ( water surface area and volume) to continue to grow. 
several liters per fish is desired if you want toe best possible. But with only 55 that is not a problem I think. Later when colors arrive a cull could be performed if desired. 
Best is keeping water in perfect condition by changes and cleaning. I have never used the artificial chemical method to attempt to keep a balanced environment and do not recommend it as first choice. 
You are in a great location for this wonderful hobby . ( Best black ranchi ever ).

regards, Michael

7 hours ago, mikroll said:

Hello RIE, and Congratulations on your fry !

There are many ways to raise goldfish and I can give you my suggestions as I see in your video and your description of routine for feed and water maintenance.

fish look healthy and are growing rapidly. Seem to have plenty of space ( water surface area and volume) to continue to grow. 
several liters per fish is desired if you want toe best possible. But with only 55 that is not a problem I think. Later when colors arrive a cull could be performed if desired. 
Best is keeping water in perfect condition by changes and cleaning. I have never used the artificial chemical method to attempt to keep a balanced environment and do not recommend it as first choice. 
You are in a great location for this wonderful hobby . ( Best black ranchi ever ).

regards, Michael

Thanks so much! Noted about the artificial chemical and I'll keep in mind about the ratio of water per fish and the space. I plan to separate them into two containers once they hit Day 25. It gets harder to siphon the bottom with so many fry swimming around. So far none dies on its own 🥰