Poop Problem

Hi all,

Hope you're all well! I feel terrible going back here with a different fish problem --feel like I'm a terrible fish person :/. However, I'm at a loss and even the frequent aquatic vet I consulted suggested an X-ray. The doctor has always been suggesting the least aggressive solution for any issues I encountered before, so ... It's my last resort unless someone has had this problem before and knows how to handle it.

Artemis (apparently, he's a male, not female haha), the "chief" of my tank, has been in the hospital tank since 04/21 around 9 PM.

04/21 5 PM Dinner time > Artemis and everyone seemed great and ate like there's no tomorrow

04/21 9 PM Sleep time > I found Artemis floating with his belly up. When I touched him, he sprang back almost instantly. However, he was struggling while swimming and I put him in his QT right away

04/22 8 AM Inspection > All other fish in the main tank are great. Artemis didn't float upside down but it's clear that his belly was bloated and asymmetrical. When he swam, he did it in great difficulty and even his spine bent to one side ever so slightly to compensate from his imbalance. When he rested, his head was visible pointing downward and his tail upward.  He stuck himself in the corner of the QT tank so he could rest with a lot less effort. I "freed" him from the corner several times because I was afraid he's hurting his fins but he kept going back to the same corner. I finally let him rest in the corner for almost the whole day. Here's how he looked:

20220422_Fri_NOTOK2_REV.thumb.jpg.5c6c9fdbcea500fd300ef17b6cb523f8.jpg 

20220422_Fri_NOTOK4_REV.thumb.jpg.29d595acb7947ff98ccf601888774121.jpg

He pretty much stayed like this the whole day but sometime around 6 PM, he stopped putting himself in the corner but he didn't move much. I put a little aquarium salt in the QT tank (maybe around 2 gr per 10 L of water or less. I didn't feed him at all the whole day and he pooped some good looking solid poop a bit. I massage his side super gently twice (I didn't turn him upside down at all, just using one hand to barely hold him and the other hand massage his bloated belly and his underside). Artemis was being super still too. I assume it didn't hurt him and or make him feel uncomfortable.

04/23 8 AM Inspection > The vet told me to put 0.1% of Epsom salt in Artemis's tank, around 1 gr/1L of water so I did that. He also told me to not feed Artemis until Saturday afternoon and see how things were before feeding again. The vet said if things were not improving by Sunday afternoon, he may need to take him to a clinic to do an X ray. I wasn't happy about it but during the whole day Artemis kept getting better. 

20220423_Sat_NOTOK_REV.thumb.jpg.cede592cc4c88e11b085f8a2e4c6f4ba.jpg

You can still see his bloated belly, that actually MOVED to the other side (with the white spot) but this is a lot better than the day before. He also pooped quite a lot though he was "fasting". Artemis is the biggest boy in the tank and before I had my tank, he lived in this container for 2.5 months with me changing 50%-30%-50% water daily so I know he POOPS A LOT. Like, grossly a lot. To see him pooping lightly is really alarming. The doctor told me to stop the EPSOM treatment by Tuesday if he keeps getting better:

https://youtube.com/shorts/mcAb2DCzw7c?feature=share

He's not sulking in any corner, he swam around a bit more though struggling, and he even tried to "greet" me to beg for food :(.

04/24 - 04/28
On Saturday afternoon, I gave him very few pellets which he ate immediately. I felt bad about it but his bloated belly looked really scary. Sunday morning, I found very little to no poop. I gave Artemis boiled peas AND regular pellets (like probably 15 at most in total) for the whole day and still little to no poop. I did water change 3 times a day but on Monday, I weaned him off the Epsom treatment because I don't think it's working on him. On Tuesday, same thing. little to no poop despite the peas and the salt in his water. If he does poop, mostly it's the clear, transparent "poop shells". Usually, after peas, Artemis will have solid, nice, green poop. I scooped his poop almost every other hour daily for 2.5 months so I know ... (I work from home so yea hahah ...)

https://youtube.com/shorts/Q0MkqXOS-Rs?feature=share

Look how playful and active Artemis was in the video. He is now pretty much himself but the poop problem is still unsolved </3.

Today, Wednesday 04/28, I fed him boiled peas + regular pellets again. My fingers are crossed for tomorrow --hoping for a bit more poop. The doctor said we may have to do an X-ray to see if something is blocking his intestines but usually, fish don't eat or stay active when that happens. 

This is the thin fish that originally suspected wasn't healthy in the other thread you had posted. I advised to treat for internal parasites and feed the fish a tad more. Did you ever treat him for internal parasites?

8 hours ago, mjfromga said:

This is the thin fish that originally suspected wasn't healthy in the other thread you had posted. I advised to treat for internal parasites and feed the fish a tad more. Did you ever treat him for internal parasites?

To those who didn't follow the other thread:

Before The Main Tank
- I rescued the pond fish (3 of them) so I had no tank and put them in a separate QT
- All QT were cleaned daily 50%-50% at first then 50-30-50 towards the end of February 2022
- @mjfromga suspected that Artemis wasn't healthy (though he ate like no tomorrow, very active, and pooped a lot) because he looked a bit "thin" 
- Artemis "looked" thin because he always looked up when I was around to take his pictures from above
- However, I still treated Artemis for internal parasites using Metroplex and local Metronidazole, via food and water for a week

The Main Tank Arrived
- I moved Artemis and two other fish to the main tank after the tank was cycled
- It seemed to me that Artemis is a very chonky fish as seen below:

https://youtu.be/Wn0pSKZfmYw

- The three fish have been in the tank for about 3 weeks (I added them one by one) before I took one out because I suspected that his left eye is blind and he had trouble finding food
- The blind fish is now back in the main tank and knows tricks to feed himself (also, I use 2 pellets: sinking and floating to distract other fish) 
- The aquatic vet doctor came a few weeks ago to check on the two fish I was given by friends after being quarantined for 10 days and he warned me to NOT overfeed because Artemis looked pretty big to him
- He checked all three fish in the main tank and found no external or internal parasites (he took samples and brought them to a lab)

Artemis Poop Problem
The story started almost 8 days ago --as stated in my previous post here. Today, 04/29, Day 8, I moved Artemis from the QT to an empty, cycled tank meant for Paris because well, it has better filtration, etc. Here's how he is today:

This tank has no salt in it. Artemis immediately pooped a solid green poop a bit (I fed him peas yesterday and a few pellets) after I filmed this and seemed to enjoy the space. Still though, very little poop this morning.

I fed him some gel food today (local made) and a few pellets this morning. I'm not sure if I should treat him again for internal parasites when he looks super active, eats well, and not showing other symptoms other than producing very little to no poop?

At the time - you told me that Artemis was a female fish. Their shape should be quite different from that of a male fish. This is why I specifically gave a female fish as an example to view. With that said - his weight would have been less of a concern had I known he was male.

He was seen piping at the surface in the video with the others. He's also seen gulping and spitting out air large bubbles in the other video by himself.

This behavior isn't ideal and isn't typically considered normal. It can also cause floating issues as he swallows the air for no reason. This can also cause issues with digestion.

If the vet scoped the fish and found no parasites, then I see no reason to retreat the fish for them. Something else was the cause of his floating and something else is the cause of his constipation.

4 hours ago, mjfromga said:

At the time - you told me that Artemis was a female fish. Their shape should be quite different from that of a male fish. This is why I specifically gave a female fish as an example to view. With that said - his weight would have been less of a concern had I known he was male.

Thank you for your replies!  Ah, yes, I did. It's my bad. My first time ever handling a goldfish, I thought he was a female fish. I honestly thought he was small too until I put him in the tank and saw him from the side.

This behavior isn't ideal and isn't typically considered normal. It can also cause floating issues as he swallows the air for no reason. This can also cause issues with digestion.

💔 I don't know how to fix this behavior :(. All the other three fish "copies" him and has the same behavior whenever they see anyone (mostly me) near the aquarium or the food shelves (Paris is practically blind so he doesn't do that). They (Artemis and one other fish) even often manage to literally spit water at me when I was near the tank to fix somethings.

This was my attempt to update his vet but to no avail because Artemis was literally swimming vertically like a trained dolphin. I've fed him an hour before I took this video (gel food, not too much). If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Something else was the cause of his floating and something else is the cause of his constipation.

Should I go with the vet's suggestion to do an X-ray? Logically it probably I should? I'm a bit torn ...

Here's a little clip showing them going up to the surface when I started filming --I was just going to move the plants a bit.

8 hours ago, koko said:

Does this happen after you feed them Gel food? 

Going to the surface part or Artemis's bloated belly?

I stopped the gel food weeks ago because they seemed to hate the gel food that I got --it has rave reviews locally but they didn't love it. They've been eating Mizuho floating and sinking pellets, Saki Hikari, peas, soaked treat/spirulina tablet from Sera nip and also NLS algae wafers. I also sparingly give them crushed watermelon and cucumber (as per doctor's suggestions) which they all seem to love.

After I put Artemis in that smaller tank, Day 10, I fed him this medicated gel food from the same company and he caved in. He ated little in the AM, a little in the PM and I gave him soaked pellets again. I found long some solid poops every AM/PM so his digestion seemed to get better? I honestly don't know what's in the "medicated" gel food but it's advertised with epsom salt grade K5 --I didn't use the epsom salt though.

The poop seems to have like pocket of gas in between; also some had literally a tiny ballon of gas so they're mostly floating. I'm stopping the medicated gel food today after 5? 6 days? I'm thinking about making my old gel food now. 

• Admin

I always run medicated food for a min of 7 days. 14 days is better. :) 

On 5/8/2022 at 6:05 PM, koko said:

I always run medicated food for a min of 7 days. 14 days is better. :) 

Ah ... Thank you! I'll keep this in mind for next time!