Kelly124

Hello, we just got a bigher fish tank and it came with a big goldfish but he has a growth on top of him now is this going to kill him or other fish?

That growth is a tumor. Very common on older red/orange pigmented fish. They aren't contagious and until they get large enough to affect the fishes quality of life, they aren't fatal to the fish that has it. This fish is missing a lot of scales too. I would remove all the hard decorations in the tank.

3 hours ago, Kelly124 said:

Why would u recommend removing all the hard decorations from the tank?

Because the fish is missing many scales, and it is likely this has occurred because he is injuring himself on the hard decorations. Goldfish don't really need decorations. They just get in the way and take up valuable swimming space. When we see injuries on them - the first thing we usually recommend is removing hard decorations from the tank.

• Admin
On 4/22/2022 at 12:18 PM, Kelly124 said:

Ok. Fair enuff.Why would u recommend removing all the hard decorations from the tank?

Goldfish can swim very fast and if there is sharp objects in the tank it could either give the fish a cut and it get infected or it could rub off the scales which isnt good  either. I dont keep any sharp decoration in my tank. Just plants :) 

To be honest he isnt at all bothered by the ornaments. But ive heard aswell that if tap water in the tank u need to treat the water to get rid the chlorine and other stuff that can harm the scales and i dont think the previous were particularly bothered by him as they didnt have a clue what the tumour was or that the Snake fish they also gave us doesnt eat the goldfish flakes. Ive been and bought some sinkable Catfish food ellets and the snake fish loves them, so nice too see him eat and the snake fish and goldfish like bloodworms so i got them some of them as treats aswell. I like to treat them aswell, some people will say they are just fish but if we have pets no matter what they are they become part of our family and dthey all get treats now and agin xx