Ammonia Level(Tap)0

Nitrite Level(Tap)0

Nitrate level(Tap)0

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)8

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)8

Other Required Info:

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?api

Water temperature? 76

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 125 over a year, preseeded past 20 years 

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 700gph 525gph

How often do you change the water and how much? weekly, 65%

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 1

How many fish in the tank and their size? 6 left. 

What kind of water additives or conditioners? 0 not needed

What do you feed your fish and how often? duckweed am, gelfood pm

Any new fish added to the tank? no

Any medications added to the tank? no

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?, bottom sitting, ONLY 1 at a time, then drops dead 1-2 days later. 

Ill copy and paste the gist of it 

Long story short some kind of internal sickness is slowly killing off the tank. 125 semi planted. This all started about a few months ago, everyone was fine, then at feeding time 1 fish looked like a giant pinecone (nothing the previous day) then was dead in the am. Week later another fish was hiding its head more than usual in the plants, after 3 days of that, put him in QT, kanaplex, dead next morning. Few weeks pass all is good....... week before I go out of town my big orange oranda started bottom sitting so I mixed up kanaplex in the gel food and fed for 7 days, she no longer bottom sat and everything was all good. My sister house sitting messaged me 2 days ago says she was sitting on the bottom again, I was gonna be back sunday and was going to treat again...... well she died yesterday the next day after she started bottom sitting again.................... WTF is going on? There are 0 new fish in this tank oldest is 3, no frayed fins, no disease, no external parasites, no bulges they all eat, no new plants NOTHING. They bottom sit for a day or 2 and drop dead. Is kanaplex not enough? Longer than 7 days treatment? ANything else I can mix in with the gel food? I have 6 left (3 rip) and then I quit.

SMall update made another round of kanaplex/repashy  bit bigger batch this time to last 10-14 days. 

2 Comments

Comment

• Admin

It kinda sounds like a bacterial infection going on here..... When was the last time you cleaned out that filter?

Are all of the fish getting dropsies? 

@Arctic Mama @mjfromga what do you guys think...?

He didn't mention dropsy... they just bottom sit and die. It does sound like a fast moving infection is taking them down. Likely bacterial due to the age of the system/fish. Any photos of the setup or filtration?

The gang thts left. 2 canister filters, sunsun 525gph and a cfs700 gph. CFS was cleaned no more than 4 weeks ago, sun sun no less than 6 weeks ago.      The black ranchu bob he was the one who pine coned over night and died the next, nobody else has pine coned.

Resized_20220412_173718.jpeg

Resized_20220412_173725.jpeg

Resized_20220412_173744.jpeg

Resized_20220412_173844.jpeg

Resized_20220412_173919.jpeg

Resized_20220412_174039.jpeg

Resized_20220413_190230.jpeg

Resized_20220413_190248.jpeg

I see some small fish on the right side of the tank. What are those and when were they added? I noticed they aren't in the list. And you say all these fish have been here for years - even the smaller ones.

• Admin
20 hours ago, mjfromga said:

He didn't mention dropsy... they just bottom sit and die. It does sound like a fast moving infection is taking them down. Likely bacterial due to the age of the system/fish. Any photos of the setup or filtration?

Right here hun... 

1 fish looked like a giant pinecone 

• Admin

Have you ever Prazied these fish? Those big rocks.... where did they come from? Some rocks can mess with your water quality, thats the reason I am asking. 

2 hours ago, koko said:

Have you ever Prazied these fish? Those big rocks.... where did they come from? Some rocks can mess with your water quality, thats the reason I am asking. 

Iv never treated these fish with anything.  Rocks have been traveling with me for a long while. They used to be in my 330gal, then into my 700 I had in the shed, turtle tank, then sat outside for a few years when everything got dismantled, washed and throw into the 125 sometime around july.

10 hours ago, mjfromga said:

I see some small fish on the right side of the tank. What are those and when were they added? I noticed they aren't in the list. And you say all these fish have been here for years - even the smaller ones.

Danios, I had 12 got those almost 1 year ago, but they slowly eat them, down to 3.  I put the danios in the 125 while the goldfish were in the 29gal to keep the bacteria fed, they were in their alone for a month while I slowly added more plants. 

The 2 white ones are from zhaos from last summer, The big orange calico is 3, the others cant be much more than 1.5.

Peppermint was  out and about today so she isnt staying secluded in the plants, everyone else still is looking good. I am hoping the medicated gel food does better for them vs dosing the water. 

• Admin

Well If it was me hun. I would do a Prazi or a General Cure treatment on them. This will kill off any bad guys in the tank. If the goldfish are eating the danios you might want to get rid of them. Goldfish shouldn't be eating other fish because the other fish might have parasites or something else wrong with them.

:) 

Ill get to ordering some prazipro then. From reading its a 1 dose kind of deal, but says I can dose twice in a week?

I've had two batches now from Zhao's that had bacterial problems. Had deaths from both batches. I like his fish but if I get another batch with bacterial issues - I'll stop ordering from him. I wouldn't do just prazi, I would hit them with a bacterial med at this point too.

• Admin
On 4/17/2022 at 8:11 PM, mjfromga said:

I've had two batches now from Zhao's that had bacterial problems. Had deaths from both batches. I like his fish but if I get another batch with bacterial issues - I'll stop ordering from him. I wouldn't do just prazi, I would hit them with a bacterial med at this point too.

I agree I would do General Cure.... easy and it has both Prazi and Meto.

API shall be hear tomorrow, ordered 30 packets. 

Saturday? Was the last of the kanaplex gel food. Peppermint might have a slight swim bladder, but rides a tad bit high when she is out and about but other than that she looks ok. No new deaths or hiding. 

According to API I dose 12,5 packets, after 48hrs, dose another then come sunday just proceed my water change schedule. What else shall I dose after API General cure?

• Admin
18 hours ago, ITHURTZ said:

API shall be hear tomorrow, ordered 30 packets. 

Saturday? Was the last of the kanaplex gel food. Peppermint might have a slight swim bladder, but rides a tad bit high when she is out and about but other than that she looks ok. No new deaths or hiding. 

According to API I dose 12,5 packets, after 48hrs, dose another then come sunday just proceed my water change schedule. What else shall I dose after API General cure?

After the General Cure. Make sure you do a nice water change for them. Then I would keep an eye on them for a few days... Do need to over medicate them. 

Peppermint was all about the tank today, no hiding nose in plants for 2nd day in a row. GC came today dumped 13 packets in, will do another 13 on thursday. Turned the UVC off. Heres to hoping.

Well its been 2 doses of GC, did water change tonight, 70ish %. Heres to hoping. 

• Admin
On 5/1/2022 at 7:03 PM, ITHURTZ said:

Well its been 2 doses of GC, did water change tonight, 70ish %. Heres to hoping. 

How is the fish doing? 

So far so good. Tank is beautiful and clean, everybody eats. Peppermint still likes to sit in the plants a tiny bit but comes zooming out any other time. Once it gets past the 4 week mark I will be a little happier. Hope all goes good.