Stabilizing ph/KH

Help, please!  My tank keeps crashing  and I need advice re: how to up the KH and maintain the pH in my tank. 

Reading  as of 11:40 this morning): pH=6.6, Ammonia=0.25 maybe slightly higher but lower than 0.50, Nitrate=10-20 hard to tell on chart, Nitrite=0, GH=11 drops and somewhat changed to green, but color not very defined, KH=0 yellow at first drop.

Tap water reading as of 3/22: pH=7.6, Ammonia=0.25, Nitrate=0, Nitrite=0, GH=107.4, KH=89.5.

Yesterday I again changed out 1 1/2-1 3/4 gallons and added 2MLS/Prime. I had also changed 2gallons on 3/11,, 3/13, 3/21 and typical maintenance. I use 20g filtration hob system.

I remember once (years ago) using baking soda in a pinch, but don't remember the quantity (etc). I am needing a larger tank (current is 10gallons), and am saving to buy one, but this is what I have for now. I must work with what I have!

I know that I can use up to 5x the amount of Prime....but am not sure what the right amount should be under normal circumstances? I use a ML/medical syringe for measuring the Prime.

I also wonder about using Aragonite, coral, etc. to stabilize the tank....but again; how much? 

I inherited two tiny goldfish from my granddaughter, who was given them by her college for her dorm. Frankly, I never expected them to live, although she took wonderful care of them under poor circumstances.  So...please no lectures about the tank size...as I know I must upgrade the size.  Can you tell me what the minimum size would be?

Not sure what kind of goldfish these are...they look different from each other, but both are what might be called "common".  They were probably sold as feeders originally. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin
On 3/24/2022 at 9:04 AM, Bertha said:

Help, please!  My tank keeps crashing  and I need advice re: how to up the KH and maintain the pH in my tank. 

Reading  as of 11:40 this morning): pH=6.6, Ammonia=0.25 maybe slightly higher but lower than 0.50, Nitrate=10-20 hard to tell on chart, Nitrite=0, GH=11 drops and somewhat changed to green, but color not very defined, KH=0 yellow at first drop.

Tap water reading as of 3/22: pH=7.6, Ammonia=0.25, Nitrate=0, Nitrite=0, GH=107.4, KH=89.5.

Yesterday I again changed out 1 1/2-1 3/4 gallons and added 2MLS/Prime. I had also changed 2gallons on 3/11,, 3/13, 3/21 and typical maintenance. I use 20g filtration hob system.

Oh My yes it is crashing 😮 Since your KH is 0 it can't keep the ph up there and will burn the fish.

On 3/24/2022 at 9:04 AM, Bertha said:

I remember once (years ago) using baking soda in a pinch, but don't remember the quantity (etc). I am needing a larger tank (current is 10gallons), and am saving to buy one, but this is what I have for now. I must work with what I have!

I know that I can use up to 5x the amount of Prime....but am not sure what the right amount should be under normal circumstances? I use a ML/medical syringe for measuring the Prime.

I also wonder about using Aragonite, coral, etc. to stabilize the tank....but again; how much? 

I inherited two tiny goldfish from my granddaughter, who was given them by her college for her dorm. Frankly, I never expected them to live, although she took wonderful care of them under poor circumstances.  So...please no lectures about the tank size...as I know I must upgrade the size.  Can you tell me what the minimum size would be?

Not sure what kind of goldfish these are...they look different from each other, but both are what might be called "common".  They were probably sold as feeders originally. 

The first thing I would do is the baking soda.

I would also get some crushed Coral, rinse it off and either put it in a filter bag and place it in your filter or you can sprinkle it in the tank of you do not have anything at the bottom already. The reason I say that is your going to have to suck it out later as it does need to be changed out once you see your ph go down a bit. 😮 

Thanks for your reply!  I've been trying to find Alex's chart on using Baking soda/measurements....which he says is shown in both GRAMS and Tablespoons..but can only find the grams chart. Do you know where I can find the Tbs chart? 

If your KH was yellow at first drop you definitely need a buffer with first drop it should go blue then turn yellow as you add more drops l used this when l had same problem last year 

81p3ouszA-S._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin
On 4/3/2022 at 6:53 AM, Bertha said:

Thanks for your reply!  I've been trying to find Alex's chart on using Baking soda/measurements....which he says is shown in both GRAMS and Tablespoons..but can only find the grams chart. Do you know where I can find the Tbs chart? 

I hope this helps hun. :)