Lethargic Goldfish?

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 40 gal
How long has the tank been running? 1 year
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 75 F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 3 goldfish (ryukin)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? once a week
How much of the water do you change? About 70%
What do you use to treat your water? API stress coat and API Tap water conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? just water

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
What do you use to test the water? test strips and API water test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: Lost test tube, currently don't know
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm
pH: 6.4

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? once a day
How much do you feed your fish? 1x1 cube of repashy
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Repashy
Do you feed frozen? Yes, bloodworms
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 1 year
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 2 days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Lethargic, sitting in the corner of the tank
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Salt dip (only for a day)
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Lethargic, but still eats

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
(Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
After coming back from college, one of my goldfish has been in the corner of the tank unless it is being fed. The other two do not pick on him so I know he's not getting bullied. One of my other goldfish recently passed away and it could be due to swim bladder issues or some kind of infection, but I am not sure. I performed a salt dip on all of them yesterday and he does not seem to be getting much better. He also goes up and gulps air, but they have been doing that since I've first got them. I am thinking of using medications to treat internal parasites but I don't want to start until I know what the problem is. Also checked for dropsy, red velvet, but no signs of it. Also, any help with having my goldfish not go and gulp air would be appreciated.

As @mjfromga said you need an ammonia reading. If you still have the reactant bottles you can just empty and rinse a test tube after checking the others. If no you can purchase an ammonia test kit separately.

How well is the tank aerated?

16 hours ago, hannah said:

As @mjfromga said you need an ammonia reading. If you still have the reactant bottles you can just empty and rinse a test tube after checking the others. If no you can purchase an ammonia test kit separately.

How well is the tank aerated?

There are 2 air pumps in the tank. Also, I found this white thing on the his head today. Is it a parasite? Should I start the treatment now? What should I use?

image.thumb.png.c8ea057c290c71ded51599d76b3fcd1d.png

I have decided to add Ich-X and salt bath every other day. I'm not sure why he is acting like this, but tomorrow I will go out to buy an ammonia test kit. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

48 minutes ago, Drii444 said:

I have decided to add Ich-X and salt bath every other day. I'm not sure why he is acting like this, but tomorrow I will go out to buy an ammonia test kit. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Not sure why you decided to do that.

The fish doesn't have ich, and that med won't help him. More likely he is beginning to come down with a bacterial infection or something similar.

Salt baths also aren't recommended here before we have the entire water quality picture. Salt baths are very stressful for fish and only help with certain ailments.

That white bit is likely a type of pimple. He's badly clamped up and bottom sitting. He doesn't feel well. I would have started with water changes first. Definitely would not be adding ich meds to the entire tank when there are healthy fish in the tank. 

And again, a video of the tank running as normal would be VERY helpful. If you recently experienced a fish loss and now another one is sick, this is likely a systemic problem. It may claim all your fish if not resolved. So please get that ammonia kit ASAP and also a video of the tank.

21 hours ago, mjfromga said:

And again, a video of the tank running as normal would be VERY helpful. If you recently experienced a fish loss and now another one is sick, this is likely a systemic problem. It may claim all your fish if not resolved. So please get that ammonia kit ASAP and also a video of the tank.

The ammonia level is 0 ppm. There is no ornaments/ substrate in the tank, it just has 2 heaters on each side, canister filter, and two air pumps. Someone else on a different forum suggest adding salt into the tank.

2 hours ago, Drii444 said:

The ammonia level is 0 ppm. There is no ornaments/ substrate in the tank, it just has 2 heaters on each side, canister filter, and two air pumps. Someone else on a different forum suggest adding salt into the tank.

Why do you have 2 heaters on each side? (4 heaters??) 

54 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Why do you have 2 heaters on each side? (4 heaters??) 

Oh I meant one on each side. One is 25 watt and the other one is 50 watt so I figured one might be a bit small in a big tank. The temp always stays around 70s

• Admin
On 3/13/2022 at 1:40 PM, Drii444 said:

Does it have a heater? yes

Goldfish don't need heaters unless you are treating them. Goldfish are pond fish and generally do great with temperature changes as long as they are gradual :) 

Does it have a filter? yes

Okay you say yes to filter. What kind of filter and what is the GPH?

The ph is a little low. Can you please test your tap water also I would get your KH tested too. This will tell us if the water will have a ph swing.

On 3/17/2022 at 9:32 PM, koko said:

Goldfish don't need heaters unless you are treating them. Goldfish are pond fish and generally do great with temperature changes as long as they are gradual :) 

Okay you say yes to filter. What kind of filter and what is the GPH?

The ph is a little low. Can you please test your tap water also I would get your KH tested too. This will tell us if the water will have a ph swing.

I do not remember the exact brand of the filter, but it is a canister filter. I will attach an imagine below to see if it helps.

As for tap water:

KH: 40 ppm

nitrate: 0 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

image.thumb.png.bf00d960ac8ec8c74d242fce262d9d90.png

• Admin

How often do you clean that filter?

I would see if you can get EITHER: Prazi and Metro 

Or the easier way is General Cure from API... I believe your fish has like a zit that is coming out of the scale. The General cure has Prazi and Metro in it .... Follow the directions on the box. 

11 hours ago, koko said:

How often do you clean that filter?

I would see if you can get EITHER: Prazi and Metro 

Or the easier way is General Cure from API... I believe your fish has like a zit that is coming out of the scale. The General cure has Prazi and Metro in it .... Follow the directions on the box. 

Today I woke up to see him acting like this? Im not sure what is wrong and one of my other goldfish recently passed away so I think it might have been due to that. He has never had problems before except this and Im afraid it might go to the other ones. But if its swim bladder, how can he be lethargic and all of a sudden start tilting backwards and why did it happen right after the last fish passed away?

Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 8.23.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 8.22.35 AM.png

Like we said - he seems to have an infection. And it seems to be winning. He's dying. Its NOT swim bladder. You need to get the meds Koko suggested ASAP and start them. Whatever is taking down your fish is systemic. That's why I asked for a visual of the entire setup. And that's why we asked for ammonia numbers. You have provided neither. So there's really not a TON else we can do to help.