Red Streaks In Fins

During the water change today, I seen that my fish Wishing Star had red streaks in his fins, especially his tail fins were heavily streaked. By the way, in the photos, that black looking area on his sides are not there in person, he is just a super shiny white so he is reflecting objects in the tank. :lol3

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level(Tank) 0

Nitrite Level(Tank) 0

Nitrate level(Tank) 5.0 

Ammonia Level(Tap) 0

Nitrite Level(Tap) 0

Nitrate level(Tap) 0

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0 ph

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4 ph

Other Required Info:

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master test kit drops

Water temperature? 60 F

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gallon long, been running for many years ever since I got him.

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Two filters, Aqua Clear 30 & 20

How often do you change the water and how much? Usually 50% water change once a week, sometimes a little more than 50%

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Changed today, about 12 gal or so out of the 20 gal tank.

How many fish in the tank and their size? Just one fish in the tank. He is about 4 to 4 1/2 inches long, not including his tail fin

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

What do you feed your fish and how often? Omega One sinking pellets once a day, On the weekends I feed Omega One pellets, plus an extra treat of one of the  following foods, Fluval Bug Bites pellets or Frozen blood worms, or frozen brine shrimp, or frozen mysis shrimp.

Any new fish added to the tank? No

Any medications added to the tank? No

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. None lately.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Red streaks on fins

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? He's still eating very well and active, but a few times this past week I've seen him try to "scratch himself" by swimming sideways onto the sandy bottom of the tank like he might be itchy.

20220310_082811 (2).jpg

20220310_082826 (2).jpg

I'm new to goldfish keeping but before I started to get into gold fish, the one long tailed oranda in my sister's the outdoor pond had the same issue. I asked some local fish sellers (basically like petco but run independently, and not a chain store), and they told me it's a sign of stress and or lack of O2. 

I have zero idea if it's true or not. I know my sister wasn't keeping that oranda in the best outdoor pond --a long story. 

• Admin

Hey there :hug

When was the last time you did a Prazi round? Do we have an air stone in the tank? 

2 hours ago, koko said:

Hey there :hug

When was the last time you did a Prazi round? Do we have an air stone in the tank? 

Hmmmm, I haven't done a prazi round in a long time honestly, so I'm not sure how long ago, but definitely more than a year ago. I used to have an air stone in his tank but it recently broke and I haven't bought a new one yet, 

• Admin
4 hours ago, Fish Of Gold said:

Hmmmm, I haven't done a prazi round in a long time honestly, so I'm not sure how long ago, but definitely more than a year ago. I used to have an air stone in his tank but it recently broke and I haven't bought a new one yet, 

Did he have red streaks before the airstone broke? 

I try and do it at least once a year. I like to use General cure, but that is me (its easier for me )

2 hours ago, koko said:

Did he have red streaks before the airstone broke? 

I try and do it at least once a year. I like to use General cure, but that is me (its easier for me )

No, he didn't have the streaks before the air broke. What would be causing the streaks when there is no air stone? 

• Admin
1 hour ago, Fish Of Gold said:

No, he didn't have the streaks before the air broke. What would be causing the streaks when there is no air stone? 

Lack of oxygen. The fish isn't getting enough in the water.. 😮 

19 hours ago, koko said:

Lack of oxygen. The fish isn't getting enough in the water.. 😮 

Oh no, my poor baby!! Gotta get his air going again ASAP!