Probable FIN ROT - Fish Acting Normal

rie

As I expected. NLS Hex Shield has been out of production for years. It isnt possible to find anymore.

You cannot soak medicated feed like that. The medication is water soluble and you want the feed into the fish ASAP. Soaking medicated feed like that sort of makes it useless. Ken's medicated feed is OKAY. I had luck when feeding their Oxytetracycline pellets.

The food contains some junk ingredients... this is fine since we only feed medicated food for a short time, but I just don't know if there's enough medicine in those pellets to be effective. Give them a shot though. They won't harm the fish. At worst, they'll be useless.

8 hours ago, mjfromga said:

As I expected. NLS Hex Shield has been out of production for years. It isnt possible to find anymore.

You cannot soak medicated feed like that. The medication is water soluble and you want the feed into the fish ASAP. Soaking medicated feed like that sort of makes it useless. Ken's medicated feed is OKAY. I had luck when feeding their Oxytetracycline pellets.

The food contains some junk ingredients... this is fine since we only feed medicated food for a short time, but I just don't know if there's enough medicine in those pellets to be effective. Give them a shot though. They won't harm the fish. At worst, they'll be useless.

Thanks so much for the tips! It's pretty big and super hard (harder than regular pellets) so I was worried. I'll try again today!

• 2 weeks later...

@hannah @mjfromga @koko @Arctic Mama 

Just want to update everybody here re: Paris and his possible fin rot

Paris actually changed color to almost 90% orange! I saw the black on his back keep receding daily.  This was Paris in the new/main tank on Wednesday afternoon but I had to take him out again today because he seemed very off.

0324_Paris01.thumb.jpg.27401230822fca3c8cf63feb737cfd8a.jpg

Usually he's very active and running around digging sands but he's sorta half floating-half swimming and confused as which way to go., His left eye has a light cloudy trace and his right eye looks fine. Anyway, I took him out of the main tank and put him in his old container. Hopefully things don't get worse! Thank you again everybody for the help for the NOT fin-rot case!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2022 at 12:33 AM, koko said:

Can you try and get a photo of that eye for us :) 

Sorry for the tardy response. A LOT has happened between now and then. The cloudy eye has gone; he didn't seem sick but what's left of his black color is almost all gone now. I can see that Paris' eyes SEEM blind --at least the right one.

the right eye:

0406_Paris3.thumb.jpg.4a214322ff7b1b408b829a8a1871292b.jpg

the left eye:

0408_Pris02.thumb.jpg.dd4a99e53940fabd9ab875928211026d.jpg

I've bought a second tank especially for him because AT FIRST he couldn't handle the food competition. The other goldfish are bigger and faster. He mostly scoured the bottom for any food left (I used both sinking and floating pellets) but while waiting for the other tank to cycle, Paris actually grew stronger and bigger and started to go up to the surface to fight for food while his siblings are making movements.

In Jakarta, fortunately, the one aquatic vet I know doesn't charge an arm and a leg so when he came by to examine all my fish (I got 1 new wenned oranda), including Paris, Artemis, and Tuxedo, he said that Paris is definitely blind.

I'm still going to move him to the new smaller tank though. Probably less stress for him too.