lymphocystis

Ella

I rescued my goldfish around a year ago from someone who was going to throw him into a lake. He was kept in a tank with another goldfish. They could literally not turn around without touching eachother and could only swim up and down. When I rescued them it took them almost a month to learn to swim forward and they would swim backwards and just sink. Unfortunately the other goldfish passed a week or so after I got them. They were in a 40litre tank with water almost black. He’s now in a 300 litre tank and I test the water regularly everything is normal. When I got him I was told he had a tumor. After some research I think he has a severe case of lymphocystis instead. I have booked a vet appointment to get the largest but removed tomorrow but just wanted to see if anyone had any idea what this could be or any treatments before I take him to the vets for removal which will cost me £300! I have attached some pictures 

FD3FD5B4-26A8-491A-9EA4-6EAD920C56B9.jpeg

807F3CB1-18FE-4D90-A837-D0DB95BE9D10.jpeg

FFEAC2F6-DD75-486B-8EFC-1AEBCF215DBA.jpeg

Unfortunately there’s no known treatment the disease pretty much has to be allowed to run it’s course. Keep his water pristine, feed a quality diet and be on the lookout for any secondary infections. As for having the bumps removed, they will likely subside themselves and the fish’s immune system will control it. 😊

Nope!!! This is not lymphocystis. That looks entirely different from this. This fish is just old and covered in tumors. These are common in older fish - mostly red pigmented fish like this one. They WILL NOT ever go away on their own. And when removed, they very well may grow back. If they don't bother him - feel free to leave them.

Oftentimes they'll eventually internalize and cause the fish problems you can't repair. Sometimes they will grow too large or numerous to deal with and the fish will need to be euthanized. Sometimes they turn malignant and the fish wastes away.

But they can live a very long time with these as they're often benign and don't cause pain or swimming difficulty until extremely large.

EDIT: After looking harder... that large growth is concerning on the underside of it. If possible... I would see if I could send it to pathology to test for malignancy once removed.