Bleeding in the wen

Hii I am new to this forum. I have 12 adult goldfish and several fries. Today I did a very terrible mistake, I saw on top of my ranchu head a flaky wen (look like dead wen part to me) and decided to take pull it off. As I said it looks flaky, the colour wasn’t the same as the rest of the wen (the normal wen looks like jelly this was white as paper). It was very small no bigger than a dot and looks like teared teared skin (not fully attached to the wen like a teared skin that is still attached). 

After I pulled it, I did expect a little bit of bleeding in that spot but the bleeding happened in two spots and the wen looks red around the spot. I’m not very worried about the faded red ares as she is used to having red coming around her wen (originally she came to me with a prominent circle red area in her head but suddenly it went away), the read area I think is just a colour trying to develop. But the two bleeding spot is very concerning cause I only pulled a very tiny dot. 

Does anyone know how to stop the bleeding? Or maybe by me pulling it I damaged the wen? Btw all the other fishes in her tank is okay no red spots whatsoever. I’m very sorry if my explanation is confusing feel free to ask more details. 

39E7B1F1-BCF2-48B0-8715-8C8A04B2976D.jpeg

• Helper

The bleeding itself will stop on its own, wens sometimes just go funky. If you’re worried about infection you can use methylene blue in an eye dropper to hit the spot and clean it, but clean aquarium water and some aquarium safe salt in a .3% solution (about a tablespoon per gallon of water) will also do the trick.

My bigger question is if there could be an underlying issue that caused the wen problem in the first place. Please keep an eye on it and take pictures if it starts to be weird again, okay?

42 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

The bleeding itself will stop on its own, wens sometimes just go funky. If you’re worried about infection you can use methylene blue in an eye dropper to hit the spot and clean it, but clean aquarium water and some aquarium safe salt in a .3% solution (about a tablespoon per gallon of water) will also do the trick.

My bigger question is if there could be an underlying issue that caused the wen problem in the first place. Please keep an eye on it and take pictures if it starts to be weird again, okay?

Thank god the bleeding is nothing to worrisome. 

I’m suspecting my newer fish is bullying(??) her. I just added 3 new fishes (2 weeks already) to her tank and one seems very keen to invade her personal space (not to the point of chasing though). Since this never happened with her older tank mates before. I will be keeping an eye on that one and if my suspicion is proven to be true I’ll move him to another tank. And yes I’ll keep you updated if there’s any other problem like this again.

• Helper

One thing that might help with bullying is rearranging the tank and breaking up territories. This is also breeding season, so if you see a lot of chasing that’s probably just sexual displays. The best way to give the fish a break is usually a hospital tank or colander floated in the water, but seeing some damaged tails and scales is not totally unusual in spring :)

@Arctic Mama what do you mean by rearranging the tank? I have a bare bottom tank😭 I’ve tried adding plants before but my fish kept eating them and their water became very messy🥲 The ranchu that I mentioned is sadly sterile from the farm that I bought which highly hints on her getting bullied. 

Now that you mention the colander, I think I’m going to put her bully in one🤣 My ranchu has a really calm personality so I feel really bad if a newcomer disturbs her. 

Thank you for the helpful suggestions🥰

• Helper

Ah, my tanks aren’t bare so I haven’t experienced that. Even a few valisneria in some glass and soil planters are an option,  of coffee mugs turned on their sides as hiding places. The colander usually works, though.

@Arctic Mamaahh I understand now. Btw it didn’t cross my mind to use cofee mugs as hiding place. I’ve always wanted to give my fishes hiding place but too scared that the material will be to abtasive on their scales ans wen. Thank you for the lovely ideas and solution. I’ll be sure to put several mugs in my tank tomorrow;)