Mouth rot?

I unfortunately don't have accurate test results for you at the moment, I just did about a 35% water change.

Other Required Info:

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? I use the API drops test kit

Water temperature?

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 90 gal + 20 gal sump, running for about a year and a half

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? homemade sump filter purchased with the tank

How often do you change the water and how much? used to be twice a month, now it has been weekly about 30-35%

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? today, 35%

How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 common goldfish, one is 6 years old and about 9 inches, the other I got from a friend so unsure of age but probably about 4 inches

What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime

What do you feed your fish and how often? omega one sinking pellets

Any new fish added to the tank? no

Any medications added to the tank? completed doses of both pimafix and melafix with no real results, no medications for about 3 weeks now

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? red on the lips, looks like chunks of skin are coming off sometimes, I am away on the weekends so they do not get fed and the skin seems to regrow over the weekend, redness goes down, but when they are fed the mouth gets red again and begins to peel. Also slight redness along the base of the pectoral fins that comes and goes, has been monitored for over a year now, still unsure of the cause?

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? no super concerning behavior, every so often (maybe once a day that I observe) he will be in some obvious discomfort and shake his head back and forth and open and close his mouth. 

When I was gifted a few pet goldfish 6 years ago I never expected to have a 90 gallon tank in my bedroom or a 9 inch fish! I've learned a lot along the way and Ricardo is pretty near and dear to my heart. Maybe 4 months ago I started noticing some reddish pink on his lips (he is a white/ really light orange color, his coloring has definitely changed as he's aged). I have tried a small variety of things- pimafix, melafix, and frequent water changes- and nothing seems to help. The progression has been really slow which is why I have been pretty relaxed about it but he is definitely in some discomfort and it is not getting better so I figured I would try to find a solution. Sorry I don't have any water parameters for you- I am leaving tonight for the weekend but I can definitely test and report back on Monday. For such a big fish I don't really have the means of setting up a hospital tank for him so the next thing I am looking to do is a PP dip (which I have no experience with so tips are appreciated!) I will try to attach a photo of his lips and the redness/bleeding at the base of his fins (update: he is camera shy but you can kind of see how the mouth has receded and is red in the reflection, it is only the top lip affected, no red on his fins at the moment). To me it seems like mouth rot but I'm not sure if the two things connected mean it could be something else. Thank you in advance for all your help, I will be checking on this post over the weekend but will not be able to medicate or do anything with Ricardo until Monday 

IMG_3623.JPG

IMG_3621.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

I would find some Methane Blue. It looks to be some kinda a bacterial infection. Like a scratch that got infected.

Methane Blue should clear it up. Do you have a QT tank?