Adding New Fish

Athena

Okay so when you get a new goldie you have to quarantine it for at least 3-4 weeks, right?

So you put the bag with the goldie in the quarantine tank for about an hour to make sure that the temperature is the same.

Then if you do this do you just put the fish in the quarantine or do you add the whole bag?

Guest ed586

I thin it matter's less since you are quarantined. You may want to clean it out after the quarrantine if you dump the bag. So if you were going to anyways, it doesn't matter. Personally, I prefer not dumping to aviod getting bugs for the next patient.

Oh yeah. :) A breeder once suggested adding a little bits of your tank water to the bag to get them used to the PH primarily. My PH is the same as my lfs, though. But I thought that was a good tip for shipped goldies.

Yuppers on the quarantine length. I adapt my fish

much like ed586 does. I float the bag for half an hour

then add a cup full of water every 15 mins. I do that

2-3 times (add water), this allows the fish to adjust

to all of your water params. Then I reach in and gently

scoop up my new arrival. I don't add the fish store

water out of fear they may have something in the

water. :o

I let the bag float for 20 minutes, open it and fill it to the top with aquarium water. I then leave it for another 10 minutes before releasing the fish. Another tip is too leave your aquarium light out for a couple of hours when you release the fish to help prevent stress.

Archived