New Goldfish Gang!

Gorgeous! I especially love the fish in photo #4 🥰

5 hours ago, koko said:

Very nice selection of fish. I really do like the 3rd one the best. Looks like a Veiltail goldfish 😮 

You have a very nice eye.  Philadelphia veiltail from Gary Hater. I have been lucky enough to have visited his fish room a few times. Quite an experience. He is local here in cincinnati.

The veiltail and the broadtail moor came from him.

• Admin
5 hours ago, rhorizon74 said:

You have a very nice eye.  Philadelphia veiltail from Gary Hater. I have been lucky enough to have visited his fish room a few times. Quite an experience. He is local here in cincinnati.

The veiltail and the broadtail moor came from him.

Oh man you are so lucky hun. He has some of the most beautiful goldfish. 

Thank you, I have only been studying goldfish for over 20 years. 😊 Does he carry the EggFish? Oh man I haven't seen a true on in years. 😮 

4 hours ago, koko said:

Oh man you are so lucky hun. He has some of the most beautiful goldfish. 

Thank you, I have only been studying goldfish for over 20 years. 😊 Does he carry the EggFish? Oh man I haven't seen a true on in years. 😮 

As far as i know, he does Philadelphia veiltails, English veiltails, bristol shubunkins, ranchus (top view and side view) some kind of Japanese line i am forgetting, broadtail moors (amy shonka line).  I saw some huge tamasaba on my last visit. I have bought ryukins off him in the past too. I had seen orandas in the past (but dont think he does ryukins and orandas a lot... i might be wrong).
I haven't seen any eggfish (but not sure).

The colors he produces (in my opinion) are different too, he has blues, metallic, matt/nacreous color. I am not doing a good job describing the colors.

His fish room is something else.... the amount of tanks and tubs he has are amazing. 

The first time i went there... i thought id be there for 15 mins tops. Get in there pick fish, pay for them and be out. I spent more than a hour to two hours. Just chatting about fish, touring the room, getting questions answered, hearing fish anecdotes.
Same thing happens every time i go there (or to any local breeders fish room for that matter)

That's the thing about the hobby, get 2 hobbyists together there is so much information, so much to talk about that time flies.

That's the best thing about buying fish from a local breeder ... you don't just get the fish, you get a lifetime of knowledge, you are getting the entire experience. That in addition to very high quality fish at extremely reasonable prices compared to online/big box stores..

I love this hobby!

Not goldfish.. but thought id share some fish i am hoping to breed in a few months

Not the best pics... the tank was a bit dirty and there is food in the water.

20211227_095732.jpg

20211227_095745.jpg

20211228_223941.jpg

@koko https://fb.watch/aJknMN1z0C/
Zhaos fancies have some phoenix tails for sale. When you mentioned eggfish.. the phoenix tails come to mind (maybe they are not the same).. but both have no dorsals and a longer tail.

https://zhaosfancies.com/online-goldfish-shop#!/Black-And-White-Phoenixtail-Lionheads-M-F-4-25”/p/434778072/category=0

https://zhaosfancies.com/online-goldfish-shop#!/Blue-Egg-Phoenix-M-6”/p/427715674/category=0

• Admin
On 1/22/2022 at 1:29 PM, rhorizon74 said:

As far as i know, he does Philadelphia veiltails, English veiltails, bristol shubunkins, ranchus (top view and side view) some kind of Japanese line i am forgetting, broadtail moors (amy shonka line).  I saw some huge tamasaba on my last visit. I have bought ryukins off him in the past too. I had seen orandas in the past (but dont think he does ryukins and orandas a lot... i might be wrong).
I haven't seen any eggfish (but not sure).

The colors he produces (in my opinion) are different too, he has blues, metallic, matt/nacreous color. I am not doing a good job describing the colors.

His fish room is something else.... the amount of tanks and tubs he has are amazing. 

Yup the Eggfish is like a dying breed. If I remember correctly there is only 2-3 people raising them. Im not sure but I do know there isnt many of them left. 😮

On 1/22/2022 at 1:39 PM, rhorizon74 said:

The first time i went there... i thought id be there for 15 mins tops. Get in there pick fish, pay for them and be out. I spent more than a hour to two hours. Just chatting about fish, touring the room, getting questions answered, hearing fish anecdotes.
Same thing happens every time i go there (or to any local breeders fish room for that matter)

That's the thing about the hobby, get 2 hobbyists together there is so much information, so much to talk about that time flies.

That's the best thing about buying fish from a local breeder ... you don't just get the fish, you get a lifetime of knowledge, you are getting the entire experience. That in addition to very high quality fish at extremely reasonable prices compared to online/big box stores..

I love this hobby!

My daughter would go nuts if I went to a place like that, cause I wouldn't be able to shut up :rofl

I love talking about fish and most people around here think I am nuts, that's okay :) I would actually love to have a place around here like that. Not many fish people around in this area. I was shocked when I moved to Oregon. 😮 Just mostly the chain pet stores here. 

That is the best thing. You know what the history is  behind the fish. That is awesome.

Those Angel fish are cool looking. I had an Angel fish years ago, I really do like those kind of fish. My daughter still remembers her Angel fish named "Spock" rofl 

I love red and white ryukins. Cute little guys you have there. I've gotten fish from Gary before. The fish are nice but the buying process was a pain. Slow response times and horrible quality photos to choose a fish from.

Despite that, because I liked the fish - I went back to him looking for a few more... but response times and customer service was so bad again, that I decided to take my business elsewhere.

2 hours ago, mjfromga said:

I love red and white ryukins. Cute little guys you have there. I've gotten fish from Gary before. The fish are nice but the buying process was a pain. Slow response times and horrible quality photos to choose a fish from.

Despite that, because I liked the fish - I went back to him looking for a few more... but response times and customer service was so bad again, that I decided to take my business elsewhere.

I don't think he is in the hobby to make money as much as for the love of the hobby. So maybe he doesn't sell online as much. Just my opinion of course.

But he has always been polite and prompt when i have requested to visit and buy from him. And extremely helpful with advice. He is always approachable in person to locals too. When Shipping etc is involved its a lot of work i think. He might have been busy when you last approached him. I used the local fb forum to contact him.

I have had a bad experience with imported thai oranda from an online place. Wont mention which online place i got them from since it might be a one off experience or might be something i did. Might be the stress of Shipping.

But i really love the look of thai orandas... maybe in the future.

I've had bad experiences with imported fish as well. Had my entire collection wiped out by one that brought in some type of disease.

I have enough experience now to know when a sick fish was sick or carrying something before I got it. I have no qualms calling out bad sellers for sending sick fish so others can exercise the appropriate caution. This is the only way for bad vendors to ever be held accountable. People have to share their experiences.

I don't think Southwest Koi and Goldfish is still in business - but they sold several people extremely sick fish (myself included) that wiped out entire collections that had been healthy for years in a fell swoop. Under no circumstances would I EVER EVER recommend anybody buy from that vendor. The risk is purely not worth it.

Tommy Hui of Goldfishnet is another bad vendor who I also believe is basically out of business now too. Sells sick fish and takes no accountability for it. He even sold Koi contaminated with KHV, which wiped out people's collections, as well.

King Koi for has sold countless sick fish to people and you can often even see symptomatic fish on their website. This doesn't mean you'll get a sick fish from them, it just means there's a chance you will. I have no personal buying experience with them because I've helped countless people with sick fish from them, but because of that... I tell people to order from there with caution. Their customer service regarding sick fish is renowed to be fairly good - but still.

I don't use Facebook anymore as it is way too invasive of privacy etc so I can't contact people that way. I was given his email for contact and the process just wasn't good at all. I live in Atlanta and can't visit him personally either so shipping is the only option. Mind you this was many years ago when I got these fish from him.

I like Yuan Bao Orandas but they can only be acquired via importers and I've never gotten a healthy one and I've given up on them. The one vendor I trust doesn't breed them so I guess I'll pass on them.

Does anyone have any experience with goldfishisland ot zhaos fancies. They have us bred fish.

I think imported fish sometimes, either due to stress of Shipping or due to difference in water are less hardy than fish born and raised in the us i.e. country where the fish end up.

The only online sources i know that have us farms are

Zhaos fancies,  goldfishisland and eastcoastranchu

Zhaos and goldfishisland seem to have the kind of thai orandas i like... kirin and calico thai orandas.. and they offer affordable fish at 4 inches or 5 inches too (like 40 to 60 dollars)

I have a few from Zhaos Fancies. Overall I've been happy with him. He is very accommodating and he replies to emails quickly. He is picky with the way he wants his fish cared for - but I do my own thing and the fish are fine.

I will say that even tho he breeds them here, there is cross contamination between those and the ones he imports to breed, so I can't say that you're safe from foreign diseases. I had a bacterial issue with one batch that I managed to cure with only two weaker fish being lost. The rest of the fish I've had from him, no problems. He says it's safe to add fish from him directly to a system if it also contains ONLY fish from him - but I don't recommend this. Always quarantine properly.

Imported fish are often plagued with parasites and bacteria that - when the extra stress of a system change hits them... takes over. And because foreign parasites and bacteria are different from what we have here, oftentimes the meds we use can't fight it off effectively and neither can the rest of the fish we have that come into contact with it... which is when you see losses of entire systems. 

It isn't hard to quarantine and scrape/scope and make sure your fish are healthy before you send them out. Good breeders/vendors make sure to do this. Breeder/vendor greed causes many of them to skip these critical processes and send out fish with no quarantine or health checks... then boom. System full of disease.

Bo doesn't breed Thai orandas. He and his imports are of Chinese origin and he really has his own lines of several types of fish.

Whats your advice on heaters for fancy goldfish. I have started using them keeping temps close to 76 f. The theory being even tho fancy goldfish can tolerate colder temperatures, some of these fish, especially imported ones or fry from imported ones do better at higher temps. If nothing just stabilizing temps helps. Else the temp does swing overnight.

Most of my fish live outdoors and most of them do okay. Even the fancies. Even in extremely cold water, only the weaker ones will be unable to cope. Just don't feed them at all (mine haven't eaten in months) and keep the water from totally icing over and they'll generally be fine. Out of a group of 20 fancies, you may have 1 or 2 that can't cope. 

With that said - indoor fish absolutely don't NEED heaters, but very young/small fish will benefit from a heater. My indoor fish are kept in the basement so I have a heater for them. They're all very small baby fish I got in October 2021. If they all make it through the year to next winter, I won't bother with the heater. Just adjust their food as needed.

Stable temps are not natural just like constant light is not natural. Also, be mindful that these fish didn't originate from hot areas like Thailand. As long as the temps gradually move with the day and night naturally - it won't harm the fish.

I want to add that I have no experience with supposed weaker varieties of fish. I do not attempt to keep these because my system isn't suitable for weaker types. I keep Ryukins, Orandas, and Shubunkins ONLY at this point. I have also kept standard moors/telescopes and fantails outdoors with no issues.

Ranchu, pearlscales, jikin, and other types known to be fragile... I have no experience with. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2022 at 1:39 AM, rhorizon74 said:

I love this hobby!

That's really awesome! I'm still an ameteur but I definitely would love to experience talks like that with passionate fish keepers!

Also that grey one on the third pic is so cool! I rarely see those! How much did it cost??

5 minutes ago, Kaylabae said:

That's really awesome! I'm still an ameteur but I definitely would love to experience talks like that with passionate fish keepers!

Also that grey one on the third pic is so cool! I rarely see those! How much did it cost??

Philadelphia veiltail ..from gary hater.

25 dollars... if ur local to the Cincinnati area..he has a stand in the gcas swap and is selling some juvies and fry for cheaper too this weekend.

On 1/27/2022 at 1:22 AM, mjfromga said:

Most of my fish live outdoors and most of them do okay. Even the fancies. Even in extremely cold water, only the weaker ones will be unable to cope. Just don't feed them at all (mine haven't eaten in months) and keep the water from totally icing over and they'll generally be fine. Out of a group of 20 fancies, you may have 1 or 2 that can't cope. 

With that said - indoor fish absolutely don't NEED heaters, but very young/small fish will benefit from a heater. My indoor fish are kept in the basement so I have a heater for them. They're all very small baby fish I got in October 2021. If they all make it through the year to next winter, I won't bother with the heater. Just adjust their food as needed.

Stable temps are not natural just like constant light is not natural. Also, be mindful that these fish didn't originate from hot areas like Thailand. As long as the temps gradually move with the day and night naturally - it won't harm the fish.

Very interesting info. Months without the fish eating... and this is outdoor pond fish, right? Can indoor fish survive that? I'm guessing yours are adults and have been with you for years?

I have fancies indoors and they're young maybe 6 months old or something and I feed them twice a day which I believe would help them grow bigger. I do put them on fasts monthly.

1 hour ago, Kaylabae said:

Very interesting info. Months without the fish eating... and this is outdoor pond fish, right? Can indoor fish survive that? I'm guessing yours are adults and have been with you for years?

I have fancies indoors and they're young maybe 6 months old or something and I feed them twice a day which I believe would help them grow bigger. I do put them on fasts monthly.

They are outdoor fish. Most I have had for years but a few were born in there late last year.

You cannot feed goldfish when water temps are 50 and below. They go into a type of stasis at those temps. While in that stasis, their digestive systems are barely working and feeding them can kill them.

Any algae etc in the pool they consume if they want will carry them through the winter. But they generally aren't hungry and don't eat much.

Baby/young fish CAN survive winters... but this will often permanently stunt their size if they make it. Fish in warm water will slowly starve to death if not fed. You only stop feeding in cold temperatures.