Very Very Worried About My Snail.

Okay well my snail is out of his shell is trap door is wide

open and he isn;t moveing or closeing it even when i take him

out of the water.It kinda looks like his trap door is

not attached to his shell.....poor albert....

he was alright about 3 to 5 h ago..... what happen is he alright is he

dead.... :(

his not moveing at all,should i remove im from the Aquarium just incase....

:( i hope his alright poor guy.

Guest hamstaman

nooo he's alivE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the trapdoor doesnt connect to the shell... and my snail all the time never hides in his shell even if i touch him... ur snail isnt dead!!! move him to a goldfish bowl... and if he hasnt started moving or doing anything in 3 days he may be dead/

Guest Rudolf

Sorry to hear about your snail, B.O. Two of my snails also died today, so I hope that all the tiny ones I have will grow up to take their place.

For those who are interested and don't know, the "trapdoor" is called the operculum.

Guest Rudolf

I would suggest that you allow Albert to decompose in a safe place and in about a weeks time or maybe more,carefully remove all the decomposed flesh with a small hook or bent pin. Do not lose the operculum. After you have removed the flesh, wash the inside of the shell under the tap, dry and wipe the outside of the shell with a small quantity of baby oil. Push a small quantity of cotton wool inside the shell and place the operculum in position with a small amount of glue.

I hope all this does not sound callous, it is not meant to be.

You will be able to keep Albert in a safe place and when you look at him it may bring back fond memories.

I used to dive for sea shells, both professionally and as a hobby and I have a small collection which bring back memories of the beautiful places I've dived and where I collected them.

Since i live in an Apartment im putting him into a zip lock

in the frezzer.(with water)

Thank you rudolf, i am going to do this.

Thanks every one for your wonderful comments :)

i feel alot better now,im going to get a snail some time next weekend.

Guest Rudolf

I'm very glad to hear that you are feeling better about the loss of Albert. I think it's also great that you are going to get another snail. Please let me know what you are going to call him/her.

Unfortunately if you place Albert in the freezer he will not decompose and you may have difficulties in removing the flesh. Are you able to just keep him in a zip lock bag for a while somewhere else? Please do not hesitate to E-mail me direct if you have any questions or need clarification on what to do.

Hope your coming week is going to be a great one!

:D you have been so mutch help thank you!!!

Would it be better if he would be dryed up???

I am going to take him out of freezer now .... i

I saw a lovely snail the other day,not sure if it is a apple snail.

I think i might name him/her Albert the 2ed lol not sure lol

Guest Rudolf

No, don't allow the flesh to dry. It needs to decompose so that it separates internally from the shell. Just keep him moist in a zip lock bag. In about a weeks time you can attempt to carefully remove the decomposed flesh. It may take even longer. If you think you have removed all the flesh, make certain you flush the inside of the shell under cold running water. I have had times when I did not remove all the flesh from a sea shell with smelly results!

I would recommend that when you think the flesh is ready to be removed that you do it somewhere outside or near an open window.(For the same reason!)

okay well i tryed takeing him out of the shell and it went

very very well he came out very fast and i didn't really have to

pull or anything,he is "all" out of his shell no more flesh or

nothing in side,i cleaned the inside with a Q-tip very well,and flushed

any left overs (just incase)

Inside his shell i added alittle piece of an all rag,to make it more

"stronger" i guess and i took alittle of hot glue and glued

the operculum,so it would be shut.

I cleaned him up very wel and this is what it gave me. :D im very

glad that i could remember him this way.

I felt so bad about getting rid of him (the flesh inside)

So i rapped him into a old rag,(clean) and i digged him up.

I feel so mutch better now thank you so mutch for

all your help.

Here is acouple of pictures on how he turned out to look like:

Guest Rudolf

You have done very well. I personally think it is very nice that you will now be able to look at Albert and be reminded of the times when you watched him extend his beautifull syphon and his other graceful moves.

When you get the opportunity, just brush a little baby oil on the shell with a cotton bud or small paint brush. This will keep the shell nice and shiny.

Please keep us informed if and when you get Albert No.2.

Good Luck!

:) i was planing on doing that,so he will smell alittle

better.Yes i will be keeping you guys informed about

albert,and i will be letting you know when i get my new

snail,next week end most probly.At the same time ill be getting

some shrimp (live)

Aww Black Oranda I dread the day when I have to do this to one of my snails...I know death is the cycle of life but we allow these cute guys and gals into our lifes and we care for them and love them and other people think we are crazy LOL ...let us know all about your new snail when you bring yourself to get one..Linda

It is a real shame when it happens - I had one just sit in the tank doing nothing for a couple of days, and when I picked him up, the flesh nearly fell out of the shell - a sure sign that it's passed away.

I must admit, I didn't think to glue the shell back together as a memorial - what a lovely idea. If anything happens to any of my others, I will certainly do that. Thoughts are with you!

Archived