Goldfish and Anchor Worms

Fishworks

Hi All and Merry Christmas!,

My friend just bought me some goldfish for Christmas but they have anchor worms.
I have access to some Trichlorfon (Neguvon) but am not sure know how to use it.
I did some readings online and it is recommended to treat 3 times, 1 week apart for each treatment.

However, I do wonder about what temperature my aquarium should be at because I understand parasites mature faster in higher temperature.
It helps that I have a heater.
So what temperature do I set it at? like 28C?
Also, I live in a tropical country, temps are usually 26-29C. Other Water Params Ph 8.1, Kh 4, Gh 4.

or should I alter the treatment frequency?

Thanks and Happy holidays!
-Harry

• Helper

Hey there! Warmer is better, if they’re used to 29C, go for it. Hold it steady if you can, but if the fish seem comfortable and aren’t bottom sitting or gasping at the surface, thats a great temp to get this over with. Just make sure to have lots of agitation with air stones and current, as the water holds less oxygen at warmer temperatures than goldfish generally like. And you’re going to want to either treat in your tank these fish were in or treat in a hospital tank but run the home aquarium/pond hotter for several weeks, to hatch out any eggs that might have dropped and let them die without a host.

13 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Hey there! Warmer is better, if they’re used to 29C, go for it. Hold it steady if you can, but if the fish seem comfortable and aren’t bottom sitting or gasping at the surface, thats a great temp to get this over with. Just make sure to have lots of agitation with air stones and current, as the water holds less oxygen at warmer temperatures than goldfish generally like. And you’re going to want to either treat in your tank these fish were in or treat in a hospital tank but run the home aquarium/pond hotter for several weeks, to hatch out any eggs that might have dropped and let them die without a host.

@Arctic Mama

I hope you are enjoying your holiday.

If warmer is better, then I can set my temps at 30C?

• Helper

That might be too hot, because as I said, goldfish like highly oxygenated water, and warmer water holds less dissolved oxygen than cooler. I don’t usually go above 84f for treatments unless it’s in an empty tank, otherwise my fish tend to start gasping.