Sick Common and running out of ideas

hmiddleb13

13 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Yes, if you’re having to change daily to keep up with ammonia. That’s what I do. And just scoop the fish into a cottage cheese bucket with old water while I change out the whole hospital tank and redose meds, then scoop him back in when it’s done.

@Arctic Mama ok I changed her water and dosed her about 10 min ago but I kinda feel like she’s gasping now. She would try to go up and then drop  and do wide mouth opening. I removed her to a bucket until I hear from you lily-220103-0955.mov

• Helper

She looks okay in the video, make sure the water isn’t too warm, that can cause gasping, but she really just looks like she is swimming and dropping which isn’t unusual for a sick fish trying to move around.

Gasping looks like a fish moving their gills heavily and quickly, oftentimes not moving much at all, and without mouth movements with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I moved Lily to a 20 gallon tub in the bathroom and treated with the nitrofurate for 5 days. And then because her nose was still flaky i did methelyne blue in tub treatment for 5 days. Of course i couldn’t really see her but she was swimming more so i decided to move her back to her tank but she looks worse. Mouth is still flakey and I’m not sure if its red from her trashing during the move or still just red. I suspect still just red.  And i don’t know if the black places are from the dye or a new problem. I am heartbroken. 

FAA9FF9B-886F-46E7-8CF6-A38F3FDAA67F.jpeg

• Helper

Black spots usually show healing, it's called melanophore migration.

But that nose does look dodgy. If you're doing the furan-2 please run it for a solid two weeks without stopping. do NOT follow the packet instructions on duration, they're never long enough.

• 2 weeks later...

@Arctic Mama today Lily has developed red veining in her fins. You can see that her nose is still flakey but I’m concerned about her fins they’ve not been like that at all and she no longer swims around. 

C1A56DD9-B6C9-4755-8BC3-9B60C0963AEB.jpeg

3596D90C-3146-4C66-A056-6CD810CE5E15.jpeg

E959682F-11EC-4666-A3F8-A41C26EC870E.jpeg

6FFF8582-EEC9-40CD-A6FB-786CECD0FA5F.jpeg

• Helper

Is your ammonia staying under control? Sometimes spikes during treatment can cause that veining from stress. But you have a fish who is ongoing sick, it’s hard to deny that could be a symptom of that.

When the antibiotics are completed you remaining option that is easily accessible is metronidazole, which is a different class of antibiotic, and would run for a fourteen day course with meth blue added. I have to say, though, that this sort of ulceration isn’t usually solved by gram positive antibiotics. So that’s a consideration. Usually if something with these symptoms hasn’t responded after kanamycin PLUS the furan, it’s not a good sign :( The downside as home aquarists is that there is only so much we can try, and so much we can diagnose long distance and by visual symptoms. I wish I could do more for you here.

Im doing about a 90% water change daily so that i don't have to remove her and stress her which is what the aquarium store recommended. I know. Im just so sad. 😞

• Helper

Remember if you just use a little bucket and scoop her and some water up, the. Use your hand to put her back, 100% changes are easy. Just an option, but 90 is probably plenty if your ammonia stays low. 

I’m sorry! I wish she were responding better, the metro is an option but it’s not one I’m particularly confident in. Your next step is taking her to a vet for injected bactrin or similar courses of direct-administered antibiotics.