Broccoli is brilliant !

Monique Chester

My swim bladder , constipated and dropsy comet goldfish is still alive after months of patient care . But yesterday I decided to forget about epsom salt and peas etc and cooked him a broccoli florrette. I diced it small like shreds and put in the tank by him as he was on the bottom upside down. He started hungrily eating it and by this morning he has pooped a lot and also is swimming with a little challenge but the right way up !!Β  He is much brighter and as before he moved very slowly and I had to help him turn and stay upright to swim with my hand ....now he is swimming very well πŸ πŸ‘πŸ˜. I am now giving the veg to the main tank and off to buy a better gravel cleaner to make sure I keep the bottom tank clean after they eat . I am very happy today πŸ’•

Yes definately. I boiled it till soft but not squishy...when I chopped it into shreds it didnt fall apart in the water . My hospital tank has a bare bottom so I can monitor how much eaten etc very easily . I think this is natural and good. Today I will try a little sweet potatoe cooked and chopped small . πŸ πŸ‘πŸ˜

Broccoli is way too high in fiber for goldfish and causes gas and other ills if fed too often. Cruciferous veggies should be limited. And I wouldn't recommend sweet potato. Again, we want to mimic the natural diet as best we can. Sweet potato just doesn't make sense to feed to a fish.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin
On 12/12/2021 at 10:11 AM, Monique Chester said:

I must add I am not just feeding vegetables I am also feeding live frozen insects...(defrosted well ). Good luck with your fish πŸ‘

Well thats a good thing to know if you need your fish toΒ πŸ’©Β lol.

Do you feed them any pellets? :)Β 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin
On 12/27/2021 at 1:38 PM, Monique Chester said:

Yes I feed them some sinking pellets every morning. Then peas in the evening and twice per week some cooked veg . Once a week some live frozen insects .

My fish has gotten so old and picky.. She will only eat Blood Worms and maybe a pellet or two in the day time. She is now 9 years old.