The Watonai

Lenae98

Could we add the Watonai to the pinned goldfish types? I noticed it was missing.

Watonai are long bodied goldfish similar to that of a Shubunkin, but instead of a single tail Watonai possess a long flowing double tail. Watonai are one of the few double tail goldfish varieties that are hardy enough to live in a pond all year long. This variety gives you the best of both worlds, the hardiness of long bodied goldfish and the flowing tail of a fancy variety, but be prepared to give these fish plenty of room to swim. A Watonai will reach a size of 12 plus inches at maturity.

The link below shows my sky blue Watonai in quarantine.

https://youtu.be/bp8LEmI3gkY

I love the blue based fish. Handsome guy. And by Gary, did you mean Gary Hater? If so, he's an awesome breeder and keeper. He no longer breeds the variety I like but I loved the fish I got from him many years ago.

11 hours ago, mjfromga said:

I love the blue based fish. Handsome guy. And by Gary, did you mean Gary Hater? If so, he's an awesome breeder and keeper. He no longer breeds the variety I like but I loved the fish I got from him many years ago.

Yes Gary Hater. I joined the goldfish councils Facebook group and he's been quite generous in answering my questions. I really admire Gary's knowledge base and of course his fish! I consider him a mentor. I hope to get a ghost Bristol Shubunkin from him soon but I've been watching Neptune online since the summer and he finally came on sale so I had to snatch him up! He's actually from Blackwater Creek koi farm. Great fish but I wasn't all that thrilled with their packing techniques. I feel like that's why he went through a bit of shock. Really no styrofoam packing around him to keep him warm. I will keep this in mind and restrict my ordering from them to more mild temperatures. But I do so love their fish and have been exceedingly happy with all three that I have acquired from them.

I got a tiny fish from PetSmart about a month ago sold to me as a calico fantail for $3.99. Upon further inspection - he is almost certainly a Wakin goldfish, the "sister" breed to the Watonai. Quite fun! Hopefully he does well indoors for the winter and I can boot him outside in spring.

3 hours ago, mjfromga said:

I got a tiny fish from PetSmart about a month ago sold to me as a calico fantail for $3.99. Upon further inspection - he is almost certainly a Wakin goldfish, the "sister" breed to the Watonai. Quite fun! Hopefully he does well indoors for the winter and I can boot him outside in spring.

What a great find. A sight better deal then I got but then again I dunno who fashioned the rule that koi were worth hundreds and goldfish a few bucks.  I plan to add a Wakin to my pond in the future. Would love to see your guy!

Here's my little indoor system for now.

Crunchy, the little calico short tailed girl... I'm nearly certain is a Wakin. Her shape is 100% Wakin. What do you think?? She is not large of course as she came from PetSmart but with time she will grow a bit. She's already grown some.

She's the only female in the tank, and the only non Oranda. I plan on moving her outside in spring. I also plan to upgrade my outdoor holding size a bit. 

Now the Wakin traditionally comes in red and white, but some breeders such as Rain Garden and some others HAD started to breed in calico.

9 hours ago, mjfromga said:

Here's my little indoor system for now.

Crunchy, the little calico short tailed girl... I'm nearly certain is a Wakin. Her shape is 100% Wakin. What do you think?? She is not large of course as she came from PetSmart but with time she will grow a bit. She's already grown some.

She's the only female in the tank, and the only non Oranda. I plan on moving her outside in spring. I also plan to upgrade my outdoor holding size a bit. 

Now the Wakin traditionally comes in red and white, but some breeders such as Rain Garden and some others HAD started to breed in calico.

She looks like a Wakin to me! Blackwater Creek has calico wakins as will. I think they're slowly becoming more common in the hobby. Crunchy is adorable! I love wakins they're these little bold speed demons. How'd crunchy get his name?

1 hour ago, Lenae98 said:

She looks like a Wakin to me! Blackwater Creek has calico wakins as will. I think they're slowly becoming more common in the hobby. Crunchy is adorable! I love wakins they're these little bold speed demons. How'd crunchy get his name?

I was watching them eat and just somehow got really goofy. Since they were eating and chewing, somehow I got the notion to name one of them Crunchy and the other one Chewy. 

And I always MISGENDER poor miss Crunchy. I am 99% sure she is a female. The other 3 fish in the tank are confirmed as males. 

I've never had a Wakin before as they are quite impossible to find here. Imagine getting one because PetSmart got in a batch of "calico fantails". LOL!

And Crunchy is a quite nice one. No deformities or tail fusions or anything. Calico and Kirin are my favorite colors in fish.

4 hours ago, mjfromga said:

And Crunchy is a quite nice one. No deformities or tail fusions or anything. Calico and Kirin are my favorite colors in fish.

Shubunkins are my favorite fish so you can guess I'm a calico fan. Although I am a bit picky. I like my calicoes to have large black spots and clean color margins. Calico, despite being one color pattern, is incredibly diverse and I think everyone has a particular kind of calico pattern they prefer.

10 hours ago, Lenae98 said:

Shubunkins are my favorite fish so you can guess I'm a calico fan. Although I am a bit picky. I like my calicoes to have large black spots and clean color margins. Calico, despite being one color pattern, is incredibly diverse and I think everyone has a particular kind of calico pattern they prefer.

I agree. I like blue dominated calico the best. Crunchy's pattern I don't prefer... but it's okay for $4 🤣

8 hours ago, mjfromga said:

I agree. I like blue dominated calico the best. Crunchy's pattern I don't prefer... but it's okay for $4 🤣

You would love my Sanke then. She started out a Sanke gold, thus her name, but a few months ago her white base started changing to blue. Not much white left on her now. I am still in love with her though. She's a stunning fish (I may be bias) and she's a big girl. That's cause she LOVES her food. Sky and Sanke are the same age but Sky's like an inch and a half smaller. He's a little Napoleon. I hope he doesn't bully Neptune. Any advice on how to introduce a new fish? It's just been Sanke and Sky since the start and they came from the same pond.