Open Chat 3

koko

• Admin

I think it time to start a fresh new Open Chat! 

I hope you guys are doing well. I just have my one fish now Zach. She will be 8 this Xmas. We lost her Boyfriend in June. So she has a 40 Gallon Breeder tank all by her self. 😁

• Admin
On 11/17/2021 at 7:22 AM, spider man said:

Hey Koko, sorry about the loss. Are you planning on getting Zach a new boyfriend

No I will not be. After Zach passes, Justine want to either have betta's or the axolotl fish.

On 11/17/2021 at 8:52 AM, colley614 said:

Zach needs a new boyfriend!

I know she needs some kind of company. :( 

• Helper
10 hours ago, koko said:

No I will not be. After Zach passes, Justine want to either have betta's or the axolotl fish.

I know she needs some kind of company. :( 

Axolotls are fun! they can be tricky though, here I had trouble keeping their tank cool enough. They get so stressed if its too warm. I'd ideally need a chiller to keep them properly here

I went to Walmart to pick up some food for myself and a bag of frozen peas for my friends.  They had the pumpkin pie at a good price.  However I couldn’t find any frozen peas but they had spinach.

Loki wants to celebrate thanksgiving with a feast (of spinach and Fluval bugbites.) I get the typical thanksgiving dinner but I don’t think goldfish can eat turkey.

Is it true that a goldfish can and will eat a fish version of thanksgiving dinner then still able to beg for more food mere hours later?

Making plans to get myself a betta or start a blackwater sparkling gourami tank!

I actually don't agree. The adult fish need more veggie matter than protein. I'll never understand why people constantly feed peas to goldfish as if that's something they would be eating in the wild. No. They would eat more algae and underwater plant matter, and while spinach isn't identical to that... it's closer to that than PEAS. Peas are legumes, goldfish simply wouldn't be eating any legume type foods in nature. Period.

On 11/26/2021 at 8:34 PM, mjfromga said:

I actually don't agree. The adult fish need more veggie matter than protein. I'll never understand why people constantly feed peas to goldfish as if that's something they would be eating in the wild. No. They would eat more algae and underwater plant matter, and while spinach isn't identical to that... it's closer to that than PEAS. Peas are legumes, goldfish simply wouldn't be eating any legume type foods in nature. Period.

Agreed. Also not healthy for any species to excessively consume a food that essentially works as a laxative!

That is why I don’t recommend eating a lot of sugar free hard candy.  I don’t know why they use a sweetener in them that can be a laxative.  Might be great for diabetics but they need to use self control eating that hard candy.

I've been sooooo busy. Today I cleaned Mary's tank. The water was PURE GREEN. I checked parameters and saw absolutely no issues. Maybe a TRACE of nitrate... but I couldn't see Mary anymore and it was all bad. I forgot to take pics before I went to work, but I'll definitely post some tomorrow. It isn't CLEAN CLEAN but it's much better. He had to sit in the holder since I did nearly 100% today. Not a fan. Pooped it up instantly. 20211205_130719.thumb.jpg.776146929ce9d6c45a2975c79225eced.jpg20211205_135425.thumb.jpg.5bb8988bd06d1f49b3be4f4ddfb858c7.jpg

53 minutes ago, Miss Bad Wolf said:

He looks like a cichlid, but an unhappy one.

I was going to do a water change today but that didn’t happen.  Maybe tomorrow!

He IS a cichlid. He's a Blood Parrot Cichlid. And he was veeeeeeery unhappy being in that tote. But he was much happier when I returned him to his much cleaner tank.