Open Chat 3

koko

• Admin

I think it time to start a fresh new Open Chat! 

I hope you guys are doing well. I just have my one fish now Zach. She will be 8 this Xmas. We lost her Boyfriend in June. So she has a 40 Gallon Breeder tank all by her self. 😁

• Admin
On 11/17/2021 at 7:22 AM, spider man said:

Hey Koko, sorry about the loss. Are you planning on getting Zach a new boyfriend

No I will not be. After Zach passes, Justine want to either have betta's or the axolotl fish.

On 11/17/2021 at 8:52 AM, colley614 said:

Zach needs a new boyfriend!

I know she needs some kind of company. :( 

• Helper
10 hours ago, koko said:

No I will not be. After Zach passes, Justine want to either have betta's or the axolotl fish.

I know she needs some kind of company. :( 

Axolotls are fun! they can be tricky though, here I had trouble keeping their tank cool enough. They get so stressed if its too warm. I'd ideally need a chiller to keep them properly here

Loki wants to celebrate thanksgiving with a feast (of spinach and Fluval bugbites.) I get the typical thanksgiving dinner but I don’t think goldfish can eat turkey.

Is it true that a goldfish can and will eat a fish version of thanksgiving dinner then still able to beg for more food mere hours later?

I actually don't agree. The adult fish need more veggie matter than protein. I'll never understand why people constantly feed peas to goldfish as if that's something they would be eating in the wild. No. They would eat more algae and underwater plant matter, and while spinach isn't identical to that... it's closer to that than PEAS. Peas are legumes, goldfish simply wouldn't be eating any legume type foods in nature. Period.

On 11/26/2021 at 8:34 PM, mjfromga said:

I actually don't agree. The adult fish need more veggie matter than protein. I'll never understand why people constantly feed peas to goldfish as if that's something they would be eating in the wild. No. They would eat more algae and underwater plant matter, and while spinach isn't identical to that... it's closer to that than PEAS. Peas are legumes, goldfish simply wouldn't be eating any legume type foods in nature. Period.

Agreed. Also not healthy for any species to excessively consume a food that essentially works as a laxative!

I've been sooooo busy. Today I cleaned Mary's tank. The water was PURE GREEN. I checked parameters and saw absolutely no issues. Maybe a TRACE of nitrate... but I couldn't see Mary anymore and it was all bad. I forgot to take pics before I went to work, but I'll definitely post some tomorrow. It isn't CLEAN CLEAN but it's much better. He had to sit in the holder since I did nearly 100% today. Not a fan. Pooped it up instantly. 20211205_130719.thumb.jpg.776146929ce9d6c45a2975c79225eced.jpg20211205_135425.thumb.jpg.5bb8988bd06d1f49b3be4f4ddfb858c7.jpg

53 minutes ago, Miss Bad Wolf said:

He looks like a cichlid, but an unhappy one.

I was going to do a water change today but that didn’t happen.  Maybe tomorrow!

He IS a cichlid. He's a Blood Parrot Cichlid. And he was veeeeeeery unhappy being in that tote. But he was much happier when I returned him to his much cleaner tank.

The reason I say go easy on the spinach is that there is either a compound in it that in high quantities can be toxic. I cannot recall what the compound/element is at the time. I agree peas are not an ideal source of food and should not be a main staple of goldfish diet.

14 hours ago, spider man said:

The reason I say go easy on the spinach is that there is either a compound in it that in high quantities can be toxic. I cannot recall what the compound/element is at the time. I agree peas are not an ideal source of food and should not be a main staple of goldfish diet.

Spinach is high in something called oxalates. These, when consumed in high quantities, CAN be harmful. This is why we do not feed our fish raw terrestrial vegetation.

Boiling/blanching reduces oxalates up to 90% and then when fed and eaten occasionally, spinach is actually quite healthy and the benefits outweigh the risks.

I never ever feed my goldfish peas. Never have. I don't feed them random veggies of any type actually. They get prepared fish food of all different types - mainly pellet and frozen, and sometimes gel and freeze dried for treat... and they also eat aquatic vegetation and algae that grows in their system.

While there is no true harm in giving fish extra veggies etc, I simply believe it is unnecessary and I can't be bothered with it at all.

So I noticed some of my plants at the bottom weren't doing well. My lilies started dying off and the wisteria and other plants did too... what I didn't notice is how much the WATER SPRITE had grown and how DARK the tank looks now. The water sprite has totally overgrown the surface of the water and choked out tons of light and everything else for the bottom dwelling plants. It has even covered up all the lily pads and they all begun to die off too. So I'm going to get much of the water sprite and WEIGH IT DOWN so it will not cover the entire top of the tank.

The fish on the other hand, are doing quite well.

I don’t understand why those tiny bowls are called Goldfish bowls!  I thought that healthy adult goldfish are too big for a bowl.  Also I don’t see any good filtration systems as from my experience goldfish need a good aquarium filter.

actually trying to figure out what is best for fish bowls other than something to collect paper for raffle tickets?  Maybe it can be turned into a terrarium filled with moss instead of animals.  If one wants a “pet” for a “fish” bowl, a pet rock would be happy in a fish bowl with moss?

There are no species of fish that can live comfortably in a bowl. That's the thing that makes bowls hard to grasp. Literally NO species of fish can live in a bowl happily. I would not have an issue with them if they actually could accommodate and be a good home to some types of fish - but they literally can't. As such, they are usually just used by people who don't know or care about proper husbandry. They can be sold but they really should not be marketed as a FISH item or habitat. 

So I got most of the water sprite off the top of the tank and the plants are all beginning to recover well. But now the tank has gotten ultra foggy for some reason. Water change day will be Wednesday this week.

Water tests revealed nothing but very very small levels of nitrate. I'm going to try and do as close to a 100% change as possible. Just fed the fish here.

Crunchy (calico Wakin type) is trying to catch Ziggy in size. She and Chewy were about the same size when I got them, she is growing quite a bit faster than he is.