Introducing "Taco"

SilverWen

Hopefully I have found the one to break the chain-store fish death cycle finally. . . after all black fish are supposed to be good luck right?

Anyway, this is Taco, a tiny baby Black Thai Ranchu. He is the most expensive fish I've ever gotten lol, but I've already fallen completely in love with him. 

IMG_3018.JPG

There were about 10 total in the store, this one seemed to have the best conformation and also has visible eyes. He's got a few single gold scales on his belly, so I don't think hes going to stay black, but that's fine too. He's under an inch long and 4 whole grams in weight. So far he's doing great, loving the plant walls and playing in the bubbler. My fiance also fell in love with the Blue Mystery Snails that were there, so we have one of them too.

The owner of the shop said that he is trying to get more baby ranchu in next month, but it's getting hard / expensive to import them. He only orders small batches and keeps them for observation for 7-14 days before they go into his shop for sale, which while not a true quarantine at least seems more responsible than how chain stores do it. So my personal debate is still on just keeping Taco or getting a friend lol.

Also, for anyone that hasn't seen one in person, the advice of not mixing these guys with faster fish because they will be out competed for food is 100% true. He really take longer to find a suck up food vs the vacuums that fantails are. Esp the sinking pellets, they just roll away from him on the bottom of the tank as he keeps bumping them with his nose but not quite picking them up. He does much better with the bloodworms and heavier foods that don't move in the current caused by his pectoral fins.

Here is an updated picture of the planted tank too. I also got a big chunk of drift wood that is currently soaking to get the tanens out before I put it in the tank (I've already sanded all the rough / pointy bits smooth)

IMG_3022.JPG

He's so hard to get a good picture of 😕

IMG_3017.JPG  

Ranchu don't swim well. Their shape and tiny fins along with their lack of a dorsal gives them extremely poor balance in the water. The way their eyes are set doesn't tend to help either. He looks quite tiny as well, so with time he should become a stronger swimmer.

Thanks, he's doing great so far. I baffled the heck out of both filters to break up water current and that helps him a lot. But compared to some of the others I was watching, he swims better than some. He's  a tiny little thing, looks a little lost in the 40gal tank, but he'll grow into it :)  he also does not act nervous or in anyway stressed to be the only fish - just trundles around picking at the plants and immediately comes to the front of than tank when I go over there

Also - after looking at your dude closely... he may be completely blind. The mutation that causes this color and wen type causes many black Thai Ranchus to be completely blind. If they aren't blind - they often have extremely poor vision. So if you got him a friend - I would highly recommend a fish of the same exact type.

Ziggy's super cute!

As for Taco, well, when I was trying to describe what a good ranchu profile should look like to my fiance as far as the smooth arch back without lumps, he said "like a taco shell?" lol. Then when we went and looked at the fish, he said that they swim about as well as tacos too  :0  the name just stuck.

His right eye is def not as pronounced as his left - at least the left if I look really close I can see a bit of gold color. At night if I shine a flash light in there I can see reflection from both, but I don't think its necessarily good vision. He does manage to "chase down" vagrant duckweed escapees when they get into the filter current, but for the rest of his food - he could be finding it via smell.

Right now, he has a snail friend only. If / when my shrimp tank takes off he will probably have some shrimp friends (until he eats them).

If I were to get another, it would likely be another black ranchu from the same breeder - but he may not get any in for a while. Also my parameters are finally solid - no ammonia or nitrite in 10 days, nitrates about 20ish :)

Now THAT is a cute story. Makes total sense. Goldfish do just fine when blinded so long as they don't have too much competition. I've had a few blind orandas with wens covering their eyes in my outdoor system and they stayed just as chubby as the others.