Jump to content

Equipment


Recommended Posts

  • Regular Member

I am starting out a tank for 3 fancy goldfish. Do these all look good for the tank?

Tank - 65 Gallons

Filter - two Aqua clear 70s 

Air stone - tetra whisper

Heater idk if you need one or not

lighting - i need a good recommendation 

Any changes or advice is appreciated

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Helper

The filters look good, as does the tank size. It’s always a good idea to have a filter to hold the tank steady, most fancies do better around 74-76 degrees F, and few people have houses that stay that warm year round.

lighting, I honestly really like LED strip lights, they sell many on Amazon and of the three I’ve had all have been solid and are still operational today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

So two filters is good for a 40-70% water change weekly?

What is the best light since I am going to do java ferns and moss?

My aquarium will be in a room that stays at 70-73 temp so should I get a heater or will the water stay at that degree?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Helper

ah I thought I followed this thread and didn’t click it, sorry! You can @(my username) to grab my attention if that happens again :)
 

Yes, I think the two filters should let you get away with partial weekly changes. Always err on the bigger side if your water is stable, and make sure you’re knock the gunk out of your filters monthly so they don’t make your nitrates spike over time.

Get a heater - seriously. It will warm it up and hold it steady and if you need to treat in a hospital tank you’ll need a heater and this way you will have one on hand.

My tanks are planted - LED lights are still my fave. I can’t really advise you on specifics, because it depends on the dimensions of your tank. But I love the information page on American Aquarium Products for this and they sell very solid products too, but can help you narrow down which type of light might be best for you:

https://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquaRayLEDLighting.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

@Arctic Mama

partial weekly meaning one a week with a 40-60% change?

what heater would you recommend?

Will the heater need to stay in tank 24:7 and do they have a temp gauge for regulating?

filter cleaning - yes, knocking out gunk and rinsing filter media but not replacing until it is nearly gone/dissolved in a tub of tank water right? 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
22 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

ah I thought I followed this thread and didn’t click it, sorry! You can @(my username) to grab my attention if that happens again :)
 

Yes, I think the two filters should let you get away with partial weekly changes. Always err on the bigger side if your water is stable, and make sure you’re knock the gunk out of your filters monthly so they don’t make your nitrates spike over time.

Get a heater - seriously. It will warm it up and hold it steady and if you need to treat in a hospital tank you’ll need a heater and this way you will have one on hand.

My tanks are planted - LED lights are still my fave. I can’t really advise you on specifics, because it depends on the dimensions of your tank. But I love the information page on American Aquarium Products for this and they sell very solid products too, but can help you narrow down which type of light might be best for you:

https://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquaRayLEDLighting.html

Respond when you get a chance to where i @ you on this thread of replies

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Helper

I change more like 80%, but yeah. As long as your nitrates are staying in the 5-10 ppm range you’re good, whether that is twice weekly or every two weeks… it really depends on the bio load of your aquarium, but in a cycled tank that’s what we aim for.

Find a heater, I don’t care 😆 seriously there are lots of good brands. I’ve used eheim, ebo jager, tetra, many great brands. For a tank that size a 100 watt should be plenty. Yes you leave it on 24/7, you set the temp you want and the heater has a sensor and cycles on and off as needed to hold it steady :)

filter cleaning - correct. Thwack the media against  the side of the rinse bucket and squish any sponges or floss in old tank water, not tap water which has chlorine and will kill some of your beneficial bacteria. Monthly with this, add or replace part of the media as it disintegrates, but otherwise you’re good! I’ve had floss pads in canisters for 3-4 years before they break down and sponges longer than that!

 

I think you’ve got it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
12 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

I change more like 80%, but yeah. As long as your nitrates are staying in the 5-10 ppm range you’re good, whether that is twice weekly or every two weeks… it really depends on the bio load of your aquarium, but in a cycled tank that’s what we aim for.

Find a heater, I don’t care 😆 seriously there are lots of good brands. I’ve used eheim, ebo jager, tetra, many great brands. For a tank that size a 100 watt should be plenty. Yes you leave it on 24/7, you set the temp you want and the heater has a sensor and cycles on and off as needed to hold it steady :)

filter cleaning - correct. Thwack the media against  the side of the rinse bucket and squish any sponges or floss in old tank water, not tap water which has chlorine and will kill some of your beneficial bacteria. Monthly with this, add or replace part of the media as it disintegrates, but otherwise you’re good! I’ve had floss pads in canisters for 3-4 years before they break down and sponges longer than that!

 

I think you’ve got it!

Two hob filters on one 65 gallon tank is okay right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Helper

I have four filters on my tank, plus two power heads. You can have as many as you want, and having at least two is good because sometimes one dies and you need a backup, or you need a filter for a quarantine tank or a new setup and can use your spare to seed the new tank’s cycling and help keep the water stable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
2 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I have four filters on my tank, plus two power heads. You can have as many as you want, and having at least two is good because sometimes one dies and you need a backup, or you need a filter for a quarantine tank or a new setup and can use your spare to seed the new tank’s cycling and help keep the water stable.

Last question i promise😅 is a 100 watt heater enough bc everywhere i have read said 65 gal needs a 200watt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Helper

Get whatever you want! Seriously, if you’re doing research buy whatever you’re comfortable with. 65 gallon going up only two or three degrees from room temperature doesn’t need a ton of power to bump up, and if you want to use it on a smaller hospital tank too if the need arises then a 200 watt is overkill.

 

But seriously you’re overthinking this, I promise! Of all the parts of the hobby that are tricky, equipment is fairly simple. It’s more a matter of what you want to spend and the reliability and quality, than actual function. The cheaper stuff tends to last less time and not control parameters/speed/flows quite as tightly. But it still works just fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
12 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Get whatever you want! Seriously, if you’re doing research buy whatever you’re comfortable with. 65 gallon going up only two or three degrees from room temperature doesn’t need a ton of power to bump up, and if you want to use it on a smaller hospital tank too if the need arises then a 200 watt is overkill.

 

But seriously you’re overthinking this, I promise! Of all the parts of the hobby that are tricky, equipment is fairly simple. It’s more a matter of what you want to spend and the reliability and quality, than actual function. The cheaper stuff tends to last less time and not control parameters/speed/flows quite as tightly. But it still works just fine.

What is the best and most reliable 100 watt heater everywhere has mixed reviews?

what lighting product do you use for planted tanks with java ferns and moss? 

What bubble wand/wall do use like?

Links would be so appreciated!

thanks!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Helper

I already gave my answers in this thread :) If you want more definitive product reviews read through all the information blurbs on American Aquarium Products, they discuss some of the business favorites in depth and why, in both the product pages and learning articles.


Beyond that, it’s up to you. I don’t have time to tell you exactly what to buy and my system is very different from yours, so product specific recommendations are mostly not going to apply, which is why I haven’t given more.  But I’ve linked plenty to get you started and with things like bubblers or thermometers or substrate there is not much difference among them that isn’t obvious by price point. So just pick the nicest you’re willing to spring for and go with it.

Good luck, share pictures when you’re all set up! We love ogling people’s systems and fish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...