Started work on the fish house

6 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

It’s beginning! How exciting!

Part of me is excited another part of me is thinking 'what have I got myself into.' 😂

After 7 hours of unearthing (pun intended) and solving problems, I'm finally ready to start putting my new drain together.

20211021_112035.thumb.jpg.0bf86cb525b114c32dec084a46bc785e.jpg

That is fantastic!  I'm excited to see what you do!  Good Luck!  :D

I'm going to try and finish insulating it tomorrow. Then hopefully get the stands and the air system together sunday

So I spent yesterday and today finishing the insulation then had a tidy round to clear some floor space and shot down to my local hardware shop to buy the wood to build the stands and realised I'd left my stays at home so I couldn't tie the wood to my roof rack and the shop is shut now.

koko
This post was recognized by koko!

colley614 was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 7 points.

First stand complete. Just need to add a few bits to it then get the other stand together.

20211102_203950.jpg

Looks amazing!

What is the final plan?  Did I miss that info somewhere?  How many gallons do you expect to have?

30 minutes ago, Acro said:

Looks amazing!

What is the final plan?  Did I miss that info somewhere?  How many gallons do you expect to have?

I just have the three tanks atm. I'm hoping to breed ranchu and oranda. I will add more tanks to the collection as and when I can.

Well, it's lucky I started this project when I did. I came home from work yesterday and found a bead of water on the seam of my living room tank. I wiped it only to see another form and run down the tank. Within a few hours it had gone from a bead forming to a small stream. I have put the contents of the tank (ranchu, filters, plants) in the fish house. Not an ideal scenario, but at least I had the choice. 

• Admin
On 11/9/2021 at 3:22 PM, colley614 said:

Well, it's lucky I started this project when I did. I came home from work yesterday and found a bead of water on the seam of my living room tank. I wiped it only to see another form and run down the tank. Within a few hours it had gone from a bead forming to a small stream. I have put the contents of the tank (ranchu, filters, plants) in the fish house. Not an ideal scenario, but at least I had the choice. 

OH WOW! you are blessed that you come home when you did. Dang that could have been BAD!

About 20 years ago my cat Odie woke me up in the middle of the night. I couldn't at first figure out why he wanted me to wake up, but once I was awake, I knew why. My 30 gallon fish tank had 3 pin hole in the side seam. 😮 It had leaked about 10 gallons on the floor 😮 

18 hours ago, koko said:

OH WOW! you are blessed that you come home when you did. Dang that could have been BAD!

About 20 years ago my cat Odie woke me up in the middle of the night. I couldn't at first figure out why he wanted me to wake up, but once I was awake, I knew why. My 30 gallon fish tank had 3 pin hole in the side seam. 😮 It had leaked about 10 gallons on the floor 😮 

In all the years I've owned tanks this is only the third time a tank has leaked. The first was the same brand of tank dripping from a seam. The second I had a skimmer in a sump of a reef tank that would start overflowing out of the collection cup. The problem was the collection cup had tubing that emptied into a bottle. 

So, got everything together now. Just need to do some cable management and other tidying up but everything is up and running. 

20211114_140827.jpg

• Admin

Well look at that 😮 

This was quite a job and you did it so well. How many tanks will you eventually have in there? 

20 hours ago, koko said:

Well look at that 😮 

This was quite a job and you did it so well. How many tanks will you eventually have in there? 

That's the thing, I'm not sure. Once the temperature starts to warm up outside next spring I plan on moving the fish outdoors for the summer. That will give me the chance to pull everything apart in the fishhouse and do any maintenance. I may also change the building to a greenhouse as that's what a lot of local breeders seem to recommend using. But at the moment I'm thinking of keeping the 3 tanks I have. Maybe add another large 5x2x18 and then possibly add 2 180 litre tanks that I could use for hospital/ QT tanks. In my mind, the only thing that's permanent is the fish, the rest is just to house them and I would like them to spend most of their time in the sun to get those colours popping.