Floaty goldfish.

My comet has recently recovered from his floating to the surface issues as I had gel food clogging the filter. Now I am so frustrated as I found him in the morning with a swollen bottom and off his food and floating upside down again ! I fasted for 2 days, tested water , changed 50% water, fed peas, made water a bit warmer . He has picked up and now eating and can struggle to the bottom of tank to get his food. One side of bottom went down but one side still swollen. I just thought maybe it was overfeeding so cut down the food . I have read that epsom salts can improve him and one tablespoon to a gallon in a bath and put him in for 10 mins...but I am afraid of hurting him more. What should I do now ??

Help !😱😱🐠

• Admin
5 hours ago, Monique Chester said:

My comet has recently recovered from his floating to the surface issues as I had gel food clogging the filter. Now I am so frustrated as I found him in the morning with a swollen bottom and off his food and floating upside down again ! I fasted for 2 days, tested water , changed 50% water, fed peas, made water a bit warmer . He has picked up and now eating and can struggle to the bottom of tank to get his food. One side of bottom went down but one side still swollen. I just thought maybe it was overfeeding so cut down the food . I have read that epsom salts can improve him and one tablespoon to a gallon in a bath and put him in for 10 mins...but I am afraid of hurting him more. What should I do now ??

Help !😱😱🐠

Can you get a photo of him?

1 minute ago, Monique Chester said:

IMG_20211015_202329.thumb.jpg.b006685018fbbdc34278f132a9a817d3.jpg

This is how he rests at the top of tank behind the filter upside down...and you can see his left side , on right of photo is swollen . He manages to comedown to feed from the bottom. 

Swim bladder problems usually cannot be cured. Once they get to this stage where they continue to recur, you usually have few options. You can try and keep the fish comfortable however you can - or you can euthanize.

I have only had one fish with these issues and she swallowed gravel which caused it - she became a permanent sinker and I decided to euthanize her before she developed sores and all that. 

Soaking the food doesn't help. You can stop this. Epsom may help temporarily but isn't necessarily safe to leave the fish in for extended periods of time. Gel foods help SOME floaty fish but only temporarily. Usually the issues return.

The vent looks a bit weird too. Photos aren't clear. It may be a female fish binding up with eggs judging by the vent and swelling. This can cause all sorts of problems and again is also hard to cure. It also could be bacterial in nature... it's impossible to be sure what is causing the fish to float.