New to goldfish, something is wrong!

I obtained these two goldfish for my son.. they are small and in a 10 gallon tank ( new) but am in process of setting up a 40 gallon .. I am more aware of what to do now then I was when I purchased these two .. it was a save the day move after my son won two at the church fair and his grandparents ( who were supposed to hold onto them) proceeded to put the bag o fish in the truck and left them there... I live in South Central Texas... that pretty much sums up what happened to those two.. My boy was heartbroken,, already gave them names an everything.  So I did the typical dad thing and spent too much money on the wrong stuff to make him happy.  Well I have heard clean every two weeks and I have heard once a month.. was planning on cleaning this week ( week 3) .. water is crystal clear.. aerator in pumping out bubbles like crazy.. pump is running well. ( a little too much current for their taste I think though.. work in progress)  I noticed tonight there was a greyish lump on Attila's gill..when I was looking at past pictures to see if it was present then I also noticed white splotches along one side of his body.  Both like to hang out under the fake plant but they also swim around and play around the bubbles. They still eat, just fed them.  Can I get a little help with what to do next.. I'm going to check the water once the boy is fully asleep.  I could guess at this but I would rather get the opinions of people who are in the know.  Thanks for any help

Attila's gill lump.jpg

Attilla's white splotches10122021.jpg

we need to know the following water parameters. Ammonia nitrite, nitrate and ph. if you cannot test at home take water sample to the store. What type of filter do  you have.?

In the first picture it looks like there is some type of protrusion but in the second it appears smooth. The fish may be injuring themselves on something in the tank. I see a lot of plastic plants, make sure the there are no sharp edge objects in the tank  I would guess and say that most of your issues are related to poor water quality, 10 gallons is way too small even for one goldfish.  

Are you changing the water weekly. On a small tank like yours water conditions deteriorate rapidly. You should be doing at least 75% water changes weekly or even larger or, two 50% weekly water changes. Additionally you should be vacuuming out that gravel as a lot of debris gets trapped under it. Use Prime as your conditioner. Please get that water checked

Thank you, it seems there is a lot of conflicting info out there , I've read 25% every two weeks or even a month.  Maybe that's on larger tanks.. I am        " cycling" a 40 gallon tank right now.  Unfortunately I have had to learn on the fly but am getting things corrected.  I will do as you have stated.. also you are right.. last night I snuck in and checked the water..nitrates were at the stressful level .. will be correcting that tonight. Its just the one plant .. not sharp.. and some fake rocks.  The filter came with the tank so probably not great, I bought a used 40gal with a stand and an emperor 400 filter ( seems a bit much) for 50 bucks.. ( great deal.. tank is in great condition) I cleaned it thouroughly.. rinsed it several times.. let water water sit overnight.. emptied and rinsed some more.. I will treat and sdo a 75% water transfer tonight.  Fyi a little embarrassing but it turns out that the white spots were smudges on the glass.. my boy lives these fish ... he doesn't tap on the glass but says he's giving them hugs by pressing his fingers on the glass lol.. unfortunately he's 8 and not great at washing his hands lol.

20211013_214020.jpg

Also is I have salt for the aquarium.. added it initially when I set up.  What is your recommended amount per gallon?  I know what the bag states but I'd like to have your opinion.

HEY, DO NOT BEAT YOUR SELF UP, WHERE ARE ALL HAVE BEEN THERE AND YOU APPEAR TO BE TRYING HARD., ONE TEASPOON OF SALT PER GALLON. 

FOR YOUR 40 GALLON  I WOULD RECOMMEND THE AQUA CLEAR POWER FILTER FOR TANKS UP TO 70 GALLONS IN SIZE

• Admin

Please copy & paste the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level(Tank)

Nitrite Level(Tank)

Nitrate level(Tank)

Ammonia Level(Tap)

Nitrite Level(Tap)

Nitrate level(Tap)

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

Water temperature?

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

How often do you change the water and how much?

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

How many fish in the tank and their size?

What kind of water additives or conditioners?

What do you feed your fish and how often?

Any new fish added to the tank?

Any medications added to the tank?

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

"If copy and paste doesn't work for you, quote this post and put your answers after each question."

:hi

and :welcome

Also IMO I think you have a fish Louse on that first fish. The second one looks to have Anchor Worm (not quite Clear) But these fish  have a parasite on them. 

I agree, first photo looks like fish lice, but I would like to see a clearer photo.

However, I can show you some photos of fish lice to help your ID at home.

1155.jpg

38632.jpg?v=380cfd

I think they are cute, but I wouldn't want them on my pet fish.  :)

Good Luck with your new Goldfish Adventure!

You were spot on!  I had them in a bowl of there own water while I did the 75% change  lump was still there.. a small part of me wanted to pick at it.. bad habit.  Well I switched them over to 50-50 old and new to transition them to the tank again.. the new water had salt, Tetra's aquasafe and easy balance.. something in that concoction it absolutely did not like because as soon as the fish hit the water the thing detaches and starts swimming around like a bat out of hades!   Now I need to research this Anchor Worm.. not a stranger to parasites from dogs and cats to cattle an horses.. but this is virgin territory for me! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tJPIk5yfU5Q0SdU754BwW4o7nnSRWuq0/view?usp=sharing  

Well 75% water change, new treated water was hard, alkaline oh of about 7 and no nitrates... after newly filled tank sat for about 15 minutes it's still at caution to stressful on nitrates.  Sigh..... I guess 100 % change is in order.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.