New light

I've got got myself a fluval 3.0 plant light ready for when my plants arrive. There's another tank for sale close to me the same as mine. Tempted to get it and order some Oranda. However, I've been invited to a zoom chat on Monday with the BAS who are going to help me decide on setting up a breeding set up. I've also been invited to the AMGK annual show and auction next Sunday.

20211009_145010.jpg

I've been to a few goldfish shows. It's always fun. I always bring a fish. I've placed a few times but it's just fun to attend, winning isn't important. I've never gotten into breeding but it's very interesting. 

15 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

I've been to a few goldfish shows. It's always fun. I always bring a fish. I've placed a few times but it's just fun to attend, winning isn't important. I've never gotten into breeding but it's very interesting. 

I don't have any fish to show at the moment but I'd like to do it once I get some fish to a good size. The breeding side of things really excites me. I'd love to have my own fish and breed some rare types. I was going through the list of what people have bred and what is on offer. There's some jikin and wakin been bred which I would like a go at but I'm going to stick with my ranchu and oranda for now.

I love Orandas and Ryukins best. There is a baby section in shows for smaller fish. I hope to see what you end up with when breeding Orandas.

I would love to attend a Goldfish show/auction , although it would drive me nuts as I have no room for another chubby little one.

4 hours ago, mjfromga said:

I love Orandas and Ryukins best. There is a baby section in shows for smaller fish. I hope to see what you end up with when breeding Orandas.

I'm tempted to get an identical tank to mine. But for the same price, I could buy a secondhand greenhouse. I think a greenhouse is the way to go.

3 hours ago, johann_pond said:

I would love to attend a Goldfish show/auction , although it would drive me nuts as I have no room for another chubby little one.

That's the frustrating part of keeping fish. Running out of room

I'm beyond maxed on goldfish. My outdoor system is totally overstocked but oh well. I can't upsize it. The fish are okay for now. Maybe I can upsize next summer. I have a 20 gallon long indoors with a lone juvenile Oranda. Cannot add any more fish but he does just fine.

• Helper
4 hours ago, mjfromga said:

I'm beyond maxed on goldfish. My outdoor system is totally overstocked but oh well. I can't upsize it. The fish are okay for now. Maybe I can upsize next summer. I have a 20 gallon long indoors with a lone juvenile Oranda. Cannot add any more fish but he does just fine.

I find my fish do better in an overstocked pond than an overstocked tank.  I don't know if the natural sunlight, bugs, algae etc have anything to do with it. But until last year when some mystery disease killed 3/4 of my pondies I didn't have any big problems with my them even when overstocked. Strangely enough all but one of the survivors were fish that were born here. Most of them hatched in the pond.  So maybe that was something to do with it too, but I did lose a lot of the fish that were born here as well.

6 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

I find my fish do better in an overstocked pond than an overstocked tank.  I don't know if the natural sunlight, bugs, algae etc have anything to do with it. But until last year when some mystery disease killed 3/4 of my pondies I didn't have any big problems with my them even when overstocked. Strangely enough all but one of the survivors were fish that were born here. Most of them hatched in the pond.  So maybe that was something to do with it too, but I did lose a lot of the fish that were born here as well.

I agree. I lost many many fish due to neglect when I got extremely sick. Tons of debris fell from the trees, it needs to be removed or it'll rot. I wasn't able to remove it and nobody did it for me, so the TONS of rotting acorns killed many fish. I had 4 pools with many fish, I ended up downsizing to only one pool and took the survivors and put them all together.

I have a 100 gallon pool with 7 adult goldfish and 4 babies that were accidentally born in there and lived. Massively overstocked. Despite this, the parameters are ALWAYS 0/0/0 year round so long as I keep the net clear of any falling debris which is easy.

The pool is in direct sunlight and stays green. It is October and fall and it's still green. It's the green that keeps the system healthy. Try that many fish with a 100 gallon TANK and there would likely be illnesses and issues left and right. 

I may put up another pool next spring, we will see. I won't get rid of any of my fish. Most have been with me many years and I honestly think they fare better here even with the overstock than in someone's tank.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2021 at 7:24 AM, FishyMandy said:

I believe the outdoors is far better for living things. I started 2 daphnia cultures a few years ago. 1 I started in my fish room and one outside. I found the one in my fishroom crashed repeatedly but the one outside crashed once, bounced back and then found an equilibrium. I have always put it down to the layer of mulm that accumulated at the bottom. I feel it fueled algae to grow etc which in turn the daphnia hung around

On 10/9/2021 at 6:56 PM, colley614 said:

That's the frustrating part of keeping fish. Running out of room

I have three tanks running as of right now. I'm afraid if I added anymore the floor in my apartment would collapse. 

• Admin
On 10/21/2021 at 1:01 PM, johann_pond said:

I have three tanks running as of right now. I'm afraid if I added anymore the floor in my apartment would collapse. 

When I lived in CA I had 80 gallon tank, 45 gallon tank, 30 gallon tank all inside. I was lucky that I lived on the ground floor and it was a cement floor. I don't think I could do that to this house.