Pellets

colley614

This topic comes up often here. Many of us feed strictly a gel good like those from repashy. If you are going with pellets I would stay away from the hikari products. There are too many fillers in them. I would suggest those small sinking pellets from new life spectrum if you must go with a pellet food. Always go with sinking pellets.

I really like the Cobalt line for the indoor goldfish. I mixed these together for him. I also feed Ocean Nutrition Formula Two to the indoor goldfish. I feed both floating and sinking type without issue. I also have some blackworm pellets I get off of eBay.

I've seen and heard so many problems with Hikari, that when I went to the goldfish show and got free Hikari pellets for coming in second place in the show - I tossed them when I got home and didn't feed a single one to my goldfish! Some keepers swear by it - but quite literally, you couldn't pay me to feed it to my fish!

The outdoor goldfish get exclusively Blue Ridge Koi and Goldfish floating pellets. Nothing else.

20210921_104616.thumb.jpg.8dc5b584bff8d353d019514be0bb63a2.jpg

I've had success with Omega One before, as well. Never really Iiked the New Life Spectrum. I only tried the Thera A and I had a tank with 4 fish at the time and NONE of them liked those pellets but loved the Omega One. They also say Northfin is good, but as it is manufactured in Canada, it can be tough to find for a decent price in America and the UK.

Thanks guys! Sorry to ask this question, I kind of regretted it as soon as I posted. I'm just struggling to find a pellet in the UK that isn't hikari. I've seen bug bites (opinions?) So I'm looking for some I can Google and order.

1 minute ago, colley614 said:

Thanks guys! Sorry to ask this question, I kind of regretted it as soon as I posted. I'm just struggling to find a pellet in the UK that isn't hikari. I've seen bug bites (opinions?) So I'm looking for some I can Google and order.

The Fluval Bug Bites are said to be good... I have never tried them. Definitely would give them a shot over Hikari though.

21 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

The Fluval Bug Bites are said to be good... I have never tried them. Definitely would give them a shot over Hikari though.

I'll pick up some bug bites. I might get some nls thera a also. I'm debating whether to mix a few different pellets in a tub but I just think each pellet is fresher if fed one at a time rather than mixing multiple.

I came across kenta goldfish food which in theory seems good

I mixed the Cobalt ones as they were the tiny packages and were bought together intentionally to mix. The long pellets are around an ounce per bag and the goldfish rounds were around 2 ounces. With expiration dates in 2023 and less than 6 ounces of food, I don't see the freshness being an issue before they are all eaten.. With the other pellets, I just leave them in their original containers usually. 

1 hour ago, mjfromga said:

I mixed the Cobalt ones as they were the tiny packages and were bought together intentionally to mix. The long pellets are around an ounce per bag and the goldfish rounds were around 2 ounces. With expiration dates in 2023 and less than 6 ounces of food, I don't see the freshness being an issue before they are all eaten.. With the other pellets, I just leave them in their original containers usually. 

It would be handy if I could get fishfood for goldfish in smaller sizes. Bug bites and tetra japan are in smaller containers, they would probably be a good starting point?

1 minute ago, colley614 said:

It would be handy if I could get fishfood for goldfish in smaller sizes. Bug bites and tetra japan are in smaller containers, they would probably be a good starting point?

Goldfish don't need super tiny pellets. I find mine usually do better with sort of medium sized pellets. They find them better and less gets lost and they weigh more so they don't get sucked into filter etc. Unless your goldfish are TINY.

8 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

Goldfish don't need super tiny pellets. I find mine usually do better with sort of medium sized pellets. They find them better and less gets lost and they weigh more so they don't get sucked into filter etc. Unless your goldfish are TINY.

Not so much the pellets themselves, I'd just like smaller packets of them so I could mix a few together.