Java Moss Wall

SilverWen

I've been wanting to do something creative with the goldfish for a while, but I don't know if this is something possible with these guys. I've watched a lot of videos using the two plastic mesh sheets and making a sandwich with the moss until it grows out, but I'm worried they would run into the edges or somehow scrape themselves on it. I know they might eat the moss, but that's not really a problem, they nibble the elodea but don't utterly destroy it, there is always more growing and I keep a tub of it growing in the kitchen to have extra.

I'm mainly looking at trying to up my plants, hide the back of the tank a bit, and leave a bare bottom.

As hard as our water is, I have to scrub the scale off the front of the tank about every other day to keep it clean, the sides, bottom, and back I do weekly at the water change. Scale also does build up on the the anubis I have and I rub the leaves clean once a week too, it does not seem to hinder the elodea, but would it just crust onto and kill the moss?

I can't afford a water softener for the house, so I'm trying to find creative ideas to hide the scale build up. I was even thinking of adding a very shallow layer of white gravel / sand to cover the bottom, just deep enough to hide the glass (1/8- 1/4 inch deep), but I think that would ultimately make clean up much harder.

• Admin
On 9/18/2021 at 7:25 AM, SilverWen said:

I've been wanting to do something creative with the goldfish for a while, but I don't know if this is something possible with these guys. I've watched a lot of videos using the two plastic mesh sheets and making a sandwich with the moss until it grows out, but I'm worried they would run into the edges or somehow scrape themselves on it. I know they might eat the moss, but that's not really a problem, they nibble the elodea but don't utterly destroy it, there is always more growing and I keep a tub of it growing in the kitchen to have extra.

I'm mainly looking at trying to up my plants, hide the back of the tank a bit, and leave a bare bottom.

As hard as our water is, I have to scrub the scale off the front of the tank about every other day to keep it clean, the sides, bottom, and back I do weekly at the water change. Scale also does build up on the the anubis I have and I rub the leaves clean once a week too, it does not seem to hinder the elodea, but would it just crust onto and kill the moss?

I can't afford a water softener for the house, so I'm trying to find creative ideas to hide the scale build up. I was even thinking of adding a very shallow layer of white gravel / sand to cover the bottom, just deep enough to hide the glass (1/8- 1/4 inch deep), but I think that would ultimately make clean up much harder.

I think in your situation. I would try and just stick to plants that will grow in the high GH. If you try and monkey with it it may cause harm to the fish. Having High GH is great for the fish as it has all the minerals the fish needs and also for your plants.

I wonder if a skimmer would work for you... Im not sure. I will try and research for you .

I'm not intending to try and alter the water chemistry, just trying to hide the back wall and sides some, so that instead of scrubbing it every other day, I can scrub it every other week or so. 

The glass just gets so cloudy looking, the bottom also gets a gritty look, so I was thinking adding just enough substrate to cover the glass might look better than bare bottom. I still want easy cleaning though, and nothing is faster to vacuum than a bare bottom

Right now, I have a ton of Elodea and Java fern. The Java fern and most of the elodea is on small rocks that are just big enough to keep it from floating and the rest of the elodea is free floating. I have java moss started in a "fry net" until it gets big enough to put on a screen or log.

5 hours ago, spider man said:

TRY JAVA FERN INSTEAD OF MOSS. IT IS VERY TOLERANT TO HIGH PH AND DOES NOT NEED INTENSIVE LIGHTING SYSTEMS

Ok, thanks! I have three small java ferns on rocks on the bottom - they seem to be doing great

koko
This post was recognized by koko!

spider man was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 15 points.

any type of annubis is an excellent type of plant for goldfish, has the same type of requirements as java fern. Please document your progress

This is a pic of just the plants I have tied to small stones - Java Fern, Anubis, and Elodea

There is some java moss in the net in the corner, trying to grow it out before attempting a wall. - still want to try to make a back drop with it. At worst it won't grow well

IMG_2926.JPG?width=749&height=562

First "wall" panel done! Decided to go with anubis for the sides since it is smaller and doesn't need super bright light - its super easy to add more plants as well. The matting should give the roots something to cling to and I can get more plants as needed depending on how much it fills in

The Calico is Banjo, the silver one is Shimi  :)  so glad to be done with QT finally

IMG_2936.JPGIMG_2935.JPG

12 hours ago, SilverWen said:

IMG_2936.JPG

Your anubias wall looks great!  Super good start, I'm looking forward to seeing how it grows in!  Please keep the updates coming and good luck!

Thanks! Would it be better to start a new thread with updates or just keep posting here as I add plants? Probably going to be a few weeks before I get more

• Admin
22 hours ago, SilverWen said:

Thanks! Would it be better to start a new thread with updates or just keep posting here as I add plants? Probably going to be a few weeks before I get more

WOW! That came out really cool. 

I would just keep updating us here. I can't wait to see how it progresses 👍

Looks great. Here's my planted goldfish tank. Can't keep anything in place because Shion is a messpot... but I definitely put just enough black sand to cover the bottom. I've never been a fan of bare bottomed tanks.20210930_131700.thumb.jpg.4b4205d1569372488c35a7a837c59d05.jpg20210930_131703.thumb.jpg.5a1cdfde6178cf8f9266727453a41baa.jpg20210930_131524.thumb.jpg.1bd2fc712e3ebf5dc7bc1d3a15fb6738.jpg20210930_131531.thumb.jpg.af09d64e7ce59f0059004b281cfe38e1.jpg

31 minutes ago, koko said:

That tank is looking great MJ. I love all those lily pads in the tank. 👍

Thanks a ton Koko. At least something is growing lol

• Admin
2 hours ago, mjfromga said:

Thanks a ton Koko. At least something is growing lol

I got some green thick algae in my tank. I scrapped it off and my tank look like sludge for a while lol. It has been a while since I really clean off the glass lol

• 5 weeks later...

Updated Planted Tank Pictures. Started a second wall - its mostly anubis, java fern, and elodea - I have duckweed and java moss in a tank in the kitchen. The duck weed does not last long in the tank. As soon as my sanded mopani wood is done curing I'll add that with the java moss sewn to it for a center piece

IMG_3022.JPG

IMG_3003.JPG?width=426&height=568

IMG_3004.JPG?width=426&height=568