Keeping fancies outdoors

colley614

I'm getting back into the hobby and I really would like to keep and breed Ranchu and Oranda.

I have a rule that I like 100 litres/25 usg per fish. Ideally I'd like 4 of each type or maybe a couple more say 6 ranchu and 6 oranda.

I have a small sized house but a fair bit of land outside. I'd like to keep the fish outside at much as possible and I'm thinking about options for overwintering fish outdoors. To keep my budget down I was thinking of possibly using intex pools at first or maybe building 2 smaller (800 litre) ponds. I'm just a little worried about leaving the fish outdoors over winter. I have been thinking about greenhouses or building a fishouse. 

I'm interested in other people's input to help me form a decision.

I’ve had an oranda outdoors for nearly 5 years, also had fantails and ryukins which have overwintered fine. Depth is important, as is keeping snow out of the pond. All I do is throw a tarp over in winter and in heavy rain. 

I can’t comment on ranchu however, I’ve only ever kept them indoors.

1 hour ago, hannah said:

I’ve had an oranda outdoors for nearly 5 years, also had fantails and ryukins which have overwintered fine. Depth is important, as is keeping snow out of the pond. All I do is throw a tarp over in winter and in heavy rain. 

I can’t comment on ranchu however, I’ve only ever kept them indoors.

What sort of depth would I be looking at?

Do you have any photos of your pond?

Mine are kept outdoors year round as well. Just keep the water from freezing and they'll typically be okay. Can't say about Ranchu tho. Many have reported them being weaker than other types. I have Ryukins, Orandas, and Shubunkins and they do just fine. I have some that are 3, 4, and 5 years old and spent their entire lives out there since babies.

At the end you'll see their little pool holding.

12 hours ago, mjfromga said:

Mine are kept outdoors year round as well. Just keep the water from freezing and they'll typically be okay. Can't say about Ranchu tho. Many have reported them being weaker than other types. I have Ryukins, Orandas, and Shubunkins and they do just fine. I have some that are 3, 4, and 5 years old and spent their entire lives out there since babies.

At the end you'll see their little pool holding.

That's the same pool I was thinking of using. I already have 1 and was thinking of getting another.

5 hours ago, colley614 said:

That's the same pool I was thinking of using. I already have 1 and was thinking of getting another.

I used to keep 4 out there but it became too much so cut down to 1. The last years even in direct sun. The goldies do well in them too. My climate is mild and winters are only occasionally very cold, in cold cold areas... I would definitely pay attention to ensure the pond doesn't freeze over. I have had fancies do just fine under ice when I first began but it isn't ideal at all and it'll often kill a few of them. 

6 hours ago, mjfromga said:

I used to keep 4 out there but it became too much so cut down to 1. The last years even in direct sun. The goldies do well in them too. My climate is mild and winters are only occasionally very cold, in cold cold areas... I would definitely pay attention to ensure the pond doesn't freeze over. I have had fancies do just fine under ice when I first began but it isn't ideal at all and it'll often kill a few of them. 

I don't really want to put them at risk. I like the idea of them being outside during the warmer weather but If the cold is going to put them at risk I'd rather avoid it. 

I have 3 options I was thinking.

1. Set up 2 tanks under my stairs. With the space I have I'm looking at about 200 litres which, given that I'd like 6 ranchu and 6 oranda doesn't offer enough water volume. 

2. I have a few 5 foot tanks I could set up but building a fishhouse is an expense I would rather avoid atm.

3. I was wondering if housing the tanks in a greenhouse is an option.

Those are the ideas I've been thinking about. Long term I'd like a fishhouse and a couple of ponds. I know what my end goal is I'm just unsure what steps to take at the moment.

Well it is easy to tell when the cold is getting to them. Weaker less tolerant fish will flip upside down and float if they cannot handle the cold. This will be followed by cold water stasis which I will describe next. Breeders often leave these flippers to die as it signals weakness. Strong fancies can weather the cold like single tails and these are the ones breeders want to keep.

Also, very cold fish will move VERY slowly and not breathe much, some may even sit on the bottom... BUT their basic survival instincts are still there if they are okay. They should quickly swim off if you approach them with a net or stick etc. If they are barely able to move when approached, they are in a dangerous state of shock and will not last much longer left in the cold water. Also, they shouldn't excessively sit on the bottom. This also signals intolerance and it'll lead to belly sores and death.

Housing the pools and tanks in a greenhouse is a good option that will protect them from extreme temps, falling leaves and debris, pH changing precipitation, and predators.

13 hours ago, mjfromga said:

Well it is easy to tell when the cold is getting to them. Weaker less tolerant fish will flip upside down and float if they cannot handle the cold. This will be followed by cold water stasis which I will describe next. Breeders often leave these flippers to die as it signals weakness. Strong fancies can weather the cold like single tails and these are the ones breeders want to keep.

Also, very cold fish will move VERY slowly and not breathe much, some may even sit on the bottom... BUT their basic survival instincts are still there if they are okay. They should quickly swim off if you approach them with a net or stick etc. If they are barely able to move when approached, they are in a dangerous state of shock and will not last much longer left in the cold water. Also, they shouldn't excessively sit on the bottom. This also signals intolerance and it'll lead to belly sores and death.

Housing the pools and tanks in a greenhouse is a good option that will protect them from extreme temps, falling leaves and debris, pH changing precipitation, and predators.

That was an interesting read. I think the greenhouse idea is a good one. There's a guy who built one on YouTube for aquaponics a few years back. I'll have to look for his videos.

On 9/15/2021 at 8:38 PM, colley614 said:

What sort of depth would I be looking at?

Do you have any photos of your pond?

I keep forgetting to get photos 🤦🏻‍♀️ I use the 410L Laguna Tub, which is about 45cm deep sunk into the ground about 30cm. 60cm deep will probably be a safe bet above ground in England/Wales.

22 hours ago, hannah said:

I keep forgetting to get photos 🤦🏻‍♀️ I use the 410L Laguna Tub, which is about 45cm deep sunk into the ground about 30cm. 60cm deep will probably be a safe bet above ground in England/Wales.

Thanks, I just found a guy on Instagram that keeps ranchu outside over winter. He has loads of pics of his pond frozen over apart from where he runs air. 

I'm starting to thinking its doable.