Jump to content

Red patches around fins and belly


BobsDad

Recommended Posts

  • Regular Member

Hi folks.  I've got a goldfish, probably a Comet, that I just transferred from a 10-gal to 20-gal tank about 5 weeks ago.  I hung both old and new filters for the first four weeks.  Levels have all seemed good (pasted below).  A few days ago he started developing red patches around his pelvic fins and belly.  I've seen this a few times before and he's always recovered, but I assumed the new, larger tank would alleviate some potential issues.

Not sure if this is Red Pest or a parasite but hoping someone here will have seen this before.

Here's an image:

bob.png

 

Here is the form info (I have the API Master Test Kit:

 

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank) .25ppm

* Nitrite Level(Tank)  (minimal)

* Nitrate level(Tank)  <5ppm

* Ammonia Level(Tap) - minimal

* Nitrite Level(Tap) - minimal

* Nitrate level(Tap) -minimal

* Ph Level, Tank  ~7.5

* Ph Level, Tap 

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?  Please answer both brand and type. API Freshwater Master Test Kit

* Water temperature?  If you don't use a heater, give the the air temperature. Air Temp ~68-70 degrees

* Tank size (how many gals.) - 20gal - running about 5 weeks

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? - Fluval 30

* How often do you change the water and how much? Roughly 10% per week.  Sometimes 15-20% if things don't seem ideal (fish or water clarity)

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday, 15%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? One goldfish - roughly 4" nose to base of tail.  

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? API Stress Coat as directed when doing refills

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Aqueon granules - small pinch 2x/day (maybe 10-12 granules per pinch.  Food goes in <30 seconds

* Any new fish added to the tank? No

* Any medications added to the tank? Aquarium Salt added with refills.  Maybe 50% of recommended levels on package.

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. 

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? List all physical symptoms.  Red patches as shown in image

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? List all behavioral symptoms.  Behavior appears normal.  Energetic, especially when fed.  Surfaces when I'm near tank.  Balance seems normal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Helper
koko
This post was recognized by koko!

"Great post. Mama"

Arctic Mama was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 10 points.

It’s not a parasite, it looks like a bacterial infection. That can happen with the stress from the cycle bumps of moving to a new tank, where the swinging water chemistry can weaken the fish’s natural immunity to various pathogens and lead to infections, just like a human under stress.

Your ammonia level is what’s making me think it was specifically a cycle bump causing this. The water changes aren’t big enough to keep that under control - as soon as you’re showing .25 ppms of ammonia please do a BIG water change to remove it from the tank, 80% or more. I usually drain down until the fish is barely covered and then refill, which works for a big change that that doesn’t need to be complete.

Staying on top of the ammonia with daily water testing until the new filter matures might be enough on its own, but a course of antibiotics could be needed. If you can acquire Seachem Kanaplex or Triple Sulfa either of those are broad spectrum enough to be a good choice for getting this under control. The red belly WITH the red fins is where I get a bit worried, but you can watch and wait for another few days with impeccable tank water and see if the cleaner environment is enough on its own, if you do not wish to medicate right away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Helper

I don’t believe this looks urgent enough that you couldn’t order meds if needed. These sorts of infections are not usually super fast moving (and if they are they tend to not be the type that are responsive to treatment). So it’s your call on the meds - but if they’re shipping within the business week that should be fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin

My I also suggest getting another filter. Goldfish are so messy that they foul up the water pretty fast. If you have 2 filters on the tank, you can rinse the filter floss in one with tank water. While the other one is left alone. Doing this will help keep your tank cycled as one of the filters would have 100% good Bacteria. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
2 hours ago, koko said:

My I also suggest getting another filter. Goldfish are so messy that they foul up the water pretty fast. If you have 2 filters on the tank, you can rinse the filter floss in one with tank water. While the other one is left alone. Doing this will help keep your tank cycled as one of the filters would have 100% good Bacteria. 

Isn't a 30gal filter on a 20gal tank sufficient?  I'm using one with 3 media.  Also curious on thoughts on how often to rinse and/or replace the sponge.

Thanks to all so far.  I thought that the ammonia was not a problem at that level (lowest above zero on the chart).  I'll do at least a 50% change tonight and see how it looks in the morning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
13 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

It’s not a parasite, it looks like a bacterial infection. That can happen with the stress from the cycle bumps of moving to a new tank, where the swinging water chemistry can weaken the fish’s natural immunity to various pathogens and lead to infections, just like a human under stress.

Your ammonia level is what’s making me think it was specifically a cycle bump causing this. The water changes aren’t big enough to keep that under control - as soon as you’re showing .25 ppms of ammonia please do a BIG water change to remove it from the tank, 80% or more. I usually drain down until the fish is barely covered and then refill, which works for a big change that that doesn’t need to be complete.

Staying on top of the ammonia with daily water testing until the new filter matures might be enough on its own, but a course of antibiotics could be needed. If you can acquire Seachem Kanaplex or Triple Sulfa either of those are broad spectrum enough to be a good choice for getting this under control. The red belly WITH the red fins is where I get a bit worried, but you can watch and wait for another few days with impeccable tank water and see if the cleaner environment is enough on its own, if you do not wish to medicate right away.

Question on the Seachem Kanaplex.  Can I use it in the main tank or do I need to set up the old 10gal tank for this?  Bob is the only occupant of his tank.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Helper

Two reasons to use a hospital tank - 

 

1) no filter, so less biomass to interact with and exhaust the med

2) less water to medicate, so less expensive

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
On 9/14/2021 at 5:41 PM, BobsDad said:

Isn't a 30gal filter on a 20gal tank sufficient? 

It pretty close. I have always suggested 10xGPH on a goldfish tank. Reason for this is they produce a lot of waste and the filter will help with that.

On 9/14/2021 at 5:41 PM, BobsDad said:

I'm using one with 3 media.  Also curious on thoughts on how often to rinse and/or replace the sponge.

Never replace the sponge unless it is falling apart. The sponge is where all the good BB's like to live. All you need to do is rinse it out in tank water. :) 

On 9/14/2021 at 5:41 PM, BobsDad said:

Thanks to all so far.  I thought that the ammonia was not a problem at that level (lowest above zero on the chart).  I'll do at least a 50% change tonight and see how it looks in the morning.

👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Regular Member

Hi all.

I just wanted to pop in and say THANKS for the advice.  I treated with Kanaplex as directed, ultimately opting to use it in the main tank after I pulled the carbon filter out.  I did a vacuum and 10% change each time just prior to treating.  Bob is now squeaky clean.  Not a trace of red on him (literally as he's almost completely white).  Behavior had never really changed much but he's perfectly fine.  

I assume as an adult who has been mostly white for years, he is not getting any of his gold color back but if anyone has any ideas on that, I'd love to hear.  In any case, big thumbs up for Kanaflex for anyone who sees this and has a similar problem.

-Dan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

first of all there is no such thing as minimal nitrites and ammonia. Any amount is deadly to a fish and may be indicative of cycle crash. I agree with the others it looks bacterial in nature. bacterial septicemia I believe is the correct term. . I would do much larger water changes and vacuum your substrate. Water changes should be done weekly or even daily until things stabilize. I would use Prime as my conditioner.  Kanaplex is an excellent medication but so are those that are called Furan or Furazone. Feed very sparingly until your water conditions stabilize.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
10 hours ago, BobsDad said:

Hi all.

I just wanted to pop in and say THANKS for the advice.  I treated with Kanaplex as directed, ultimately opting to use it in the main tank after I pulled the carbon filter out.  I did a vacuum and 10% change each time just prior to treating.  Bob is now squeaky clean.  Not a trace of red on him (literally as he's almost completely white).  Behavior had never really changed much but he's perfectly fine.  

I assume as an adult who has been mostly white for years, he is not getting any of his gold color back but if anyone has any ideas on that, I'd love to hear.  In any case, big thumbs up for Kanaflex for anyone who sees this and has a similar problem.

-Dan

Im glad to hear he is better 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...