Seachem Tidal Filters

colley614

I've recently noticed all 5he YouTube banging on about how great these filters are. I've just looked at the specifications and I can't help but think they are massively over rating them.

I have a Tidal 75 I bought back in May and I love it. Definitely the best HOB available in the UK, the selection we had before they were released was pretty poor. They hold a fair bit of media and maintenance and set up are super easy. They’re self-priming which is a plus. I prefer it to any canister I’ve ever owned. 

Yeah, the options of HOB filters in the UK has been pretty poor. It just brings me back to my original argument that we in the UK are being overcharged on aquariums becuase the come as complete systems. I the US I see a lot of people talking about dollar per gallon sales. Here we pay about £5-10 per gallons. All because we get 'complete systems'. Most of us end up replacing the lighting unit and either replacing or adding to the filtration. If you look at second hand juwel aquariums most of the filtration boxes have been removed.

I've never been a fan of cannister filters. I think the companies that produce filters should be a little more honest with the hobbyists. Looking at the specifications of the seachem tidal, I would argue that you need 2 filters on a goldfish tank to do the job it states 1 will do.

I remember watching a video on YouTube by a Doctor in biology who was talking about filtration and him discussing the difference between sump filtration and other types of filters. He was talking about contact time with filtration and turnover rates of the aquarium and when he explained how they compare I was shocked with how much more time than a sump these filters take to remove an ammonia spike.

I always put 2 filters on my tanks anyway. This way if one dies/breaks, my tank/cycle won't crash before I can replace the dead one. And it also offers extra filtration. I've heard good things about the Tidal as well, but haven't tried one.

37 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

I always put 2 filters on my tanks anyway. This way if one dies/breaks, my tank/cycle won't crash before I can replace the dead one. And it also offers extra filtration. I've heard good things about the Tidal as well, but haven't tried one.

I am a big fan of doubling up on things incase something happens. 

The tidal looks like a decent bit of kit but for the avid goldfish enthusiast you'd need 2 of the 1 they recommend. At £150 I'd say that's getting into the sump price range.