Jump to content

Back in action!


xjasminex

Recommended Posts

  • Regular Member

Hey! I have been out of the goldfish hobby for about five years or so. I have purchased a used 90 gallon tall with sump and stand/ canopy. I’m currently working on resealing the tank. Today I just received five Bristol shubunkins from Gary Hater. I’m super excited to get going with the hobby again. Looking into some interesting filtration and generally trying to remember everything. I was wondering if anyone had any good tips to share and if there are any new products/ old products that you find make life easier. Open for suggestions and questions! 
 

Also, what is everyone feeding these days.? Looking to eventually feed repashy super gold as I’ve read about it and feel it’s a good food. However I like to feed a variety. 
 

Thanks! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

I rarely can be bothered with gel food these days. I bought a satchet of the Repashy super gold from Dandy Orandas and have barely used it. Sometimes it doesn't turn out right and it can be messy and I just usually PASS. I may just toss it in the garbage. 

I feed Cobalt Goldfish and Ocean Nutrition Formula Two mostly to the little indoor goldfish and I feed Blue Ridge to the outdoor ones. And some freeze dried and frozen foods sometimes indoors. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
21 hours ago, mjfromga said:

I rarely can be bothered with gel food these days. I bought a satchet of the Repashy super gold from Dandy Orandas and have barely used it. Sometimes it doesn't turn out right and it can be messy and I just usually PASS. I may just toss it in the garbage. 

I feed Cobalt Goldfish and Ocean Nutrition Formula Two mostly to the little indoor goldfish and I feed Blue Ridge to the outdoor ones. And some freeze dried and frozen foods sometimes indoors. 

Yay! A reply! I used to feed gel to my fancies and didn’t mind it. Maybe I will now, lol. I made super small batches and fed once a day and then supplemented with dry pellets. It was a lot easier then making homemade gel food by hand…I cant believe my parents let me do that…gross. Thanks for the recommendations. I’ll look them up! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
On 9/2/2021 at 6:32 PM, xjasminex said:

Yay! A reply! I used to feed gel to my fancies and didn’t mind it. Maybe I will now, lol. I made super small batches and fed once a day and then supplemented with dry pellets. It was a lot easier then making homemade gel food by hand…I cant believe my parents let me do that…gross. Thanks for the recommendations. I’ll look them up! 

I feed my Omega pellets and Blood worms. My fish is about 9 years old now and all she wants to eat is blood worms. 

I don't like Gel foods. It gets into the filter and makes a very big mess, unless you turn off the filter and let them eat it all first. If it starts to get in the filter it will get all mushy and slimey in the filter media. I'm not a fan of it anymore. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

I never found that gel foods caused issues with the filter - I just hate making it. It takes time and it's hard to get correct sometimes... and it stinks. It may be nutritionally superior but it isn't worth the extra effort to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
On 9/7/2021 at 11:56 AM, koko said:

I feed my Omega pellets and Blood worms. My fish is about 9 years old now and all she wants to eat is blood worms. 

I don't like Gel foods. It gets into the filter and makes a very big mess, unless you turn off the filter and let them eat it all first. If it starts to get in the filter it will get all mushy and slimey in the filter media. I'm not a fan of it anymore.   
 

I don’t remember having that problem before. Hopefully it won’t with my sump! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
9 hours ago, xjasminex said:

I don’t remember having that problem before with my canister. Hopefully it won’t happen with my sump! 

I could have put to much in, but I always seem to have this bio film in my HOB when I gave that to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
On 9/13/2021 at 7:35 AM, colley614 said:

Hello, welcome back to the hobby! I've recently got back into it myself. It's nice to see others returning also!

👋 Nice to see you again! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
5 hours ago, koko said:

👋 Nice to see you again! 

It's good to be back. I've been wanting to get back into the hobby for so long and now I'm back the obvious thing to do was head straight back to my favourite goldfish related forum!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
On 9/13/2021 at 10:35 AM, colley614 said:

Hello, welcome back to the hobby! I've recently got back into it myself. It's nice to see others returning also!

Yay! More people to share with! I’m certainly taking a lot of time In setting up this tank. Ill take photos eventually and share them with everyone! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
12 minutes ago, xjasminex said:

Yay! More people to share with! I’m certainly taking a lot of time In setting up this tank. Ill take photos eventually and share them with everyone! 

I look forward to seeing those pics!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
9 hours ago, xjasminex said:

Yay! More people to share with! I’m certainly taking a lot of time In setting up this tank. Ill take photos eventually and share them with everyone! 

I can't wait to see what you have done. 🤗

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...