Black Moor Split Fin

Hello! 

I have two goldfish, a black moor and a calico telescope eye goldfish. They’re both very active with good appetites, tank is spacious, water levels good, and both currently have breeding stars so they’re looking great. However the black moor has a funky tail situation. Looking back at pictures, the two sides of his tail have never been connected, but I’ve recently noticed he has a third tail section, a thin strip that starts in the middle of the base of his tail fins. I can’t tell if it’s a piece that has become separate from the rest of his tail or has somehow grown independently. Do I need to be worried? Thanks! 

• Helper

Could you include the pictures here so we can see? It’s very difficult to tell from the verbal description. Tails split due to stress, physical injury, breeding related injuries, shipping trauma, poor water quality, etc. 

if you can get us a few good pictures in the tank and maybe a close up of the area while holding him under bright light against the glass that would help us help you. It’s probably nothing, but the details with the edges of the fin sections are what we need to see to tell what may be going on :)

39 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Could you include the pictures here so we can see? It’s very difficult to tell from the verbal description. Tails split due to stress, physical injury, breeding related injuries, shipping trauma, poor water quality, etc. 

if you can get us a few good pictures in the tank and maybe a close up of the area while holding him under bright light against the glass that would help us help you. It’s probably nothing, but the details with the edges of the fin sections are what we need to see to tell what may be going on :)

I hope these pictures are okay? I notice he has some white dots along his pectoral fins. They do chase each other around a lot, swimming up each other’s tails, it could be damage from that I guess? 

58C40C2C-DB3F-4686-83E0-7790B73D014D.jpeg

6EDCA06C-3176-4F5D-B1CC-4D7769415023.jpeg

08C326C4-A95D-4BA3-9594-4B67BCC2D477.jpeg

• Helper

So it’s the middle section you’re worried about? Honestly it just looks like it is a section of tail growing funky, no rhyme or reason. I don’t see any fraying or broken rays, no indications it is related to stress or illness either.

Yes, that part! I’m planning on doing a big move with them soon (hopefully also doubling their tank size!) and I wanted to make sure they were in perfect health before doing that. They’re sweet little things :) 

9 minutes ago, koko said:

Also the White dots you see on the front fins are breeding stars. Congrats you have a boy :hug

Thank you! :D I didn’t realise they could get breeding stars there. They both have them on their gills, though they’re harder to see on the calico. 

beautiful fish, I see nothing wrong with his fins, Those are breeding stars, he is a male and you are creating excellent conditions for making want to spawn.

14 minutes ago, spider man said:

beautiful fish, I see nothing wrong with his fins, Those are breeding stars, he is a male and you are creating excellent conditions for making want to spawn.

This makes me so happy :D